The Whiskey Rose perk allows the Courier to consume alcoholic beverages without suffering any negative effects, including penalties due to addiction. Additionally, consuming whiskey will raise the their Damage Threshold (DT) by 2 to 6 points and consuming wasteland tequila will raise it by 3 to 9 points, all based on the Courier's Survival skill.
- This perk does not remove the possibility of gaining alcohol addiction, but merely negates its penalties. The duration of the addiction remains unchanged. Losing Cass as a companion will apply the penalties if the Courier is currently suffering from alcohol addiction.
- This perk also suppresses the base addiction tracking effect, meaning that many dialog and script checks will not detect that the Courier is currently addicted to alcohol. This does not prevent the Courier from curing their addictions through doctors or the use of Fixer.
- Consuming irradiated whiskey or Dixon's whiskey does not provide an increase in DT while this perk is active.
- Despite the fact that large wasteland tequila is very similar to wasteland tequila, it does not get a special DT bonus from this perk, though it naturally has a DT bonus of 2 to 6.
- The DT bonuses from all related liquor (whiskey, large wasteland tequila, and wasteland tequila) are stackable, and can provide anywhere from 7 to 21 extra DT when consumed all at once.
Behind the scenes
The original idea for the perk was to allow the carrying of more water items or receiving a healing bonus from its consumption. This was later changed to reinforce Cass's hard-drinking personality and make her more valuable of a companion gameplay-wise.
- Interview with Chris Avellone: "We did iterations on her perks to make them more personality-centric (Cass's initial perk was carrying more Water, or giving a bonus healing for Water), but after kicking it around with Josh, we settled on the Whiskey Rose perk which we thought would make her more valuable as a companion game mechanic-wise and also reinforced her hard-drinkin' personality."