It is a unique auto axe that deals much more damage than the original. It has a larger damage/hit and damage/second ratio compared to the standard auto axe (45 compared to 35) and uses less AP (50 compared to 65).
The Mauler can successfully strike about 356 times from full condition before breaking.
- Auto axe : A modified and stronger version of the steel saw made out of old car parts.
- Man Opener : A weaker variant that ignores armor(power armor included).
- Steel saw : A weaker version of the auto-axe that can be found on certain slaves.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Man Opener||35||35||Ignores DR||1||x0||0||65||1.1||457||20||200||10|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
It can be obtained from Everett during the quest Unsafe Working Conditions once 80 steel ingots have been handed in.
- Though The Mauler is the single most damaging melee weapon (with the exception of the Shishkebab with the Pyromaniac perk), it is also the heaviest, making it a more difficult weapon to carry around.
- As this weapon hits exceptionally fast for a melee weapon, using the perks Superior Defender and Ghoul Ecology can lead The Mauler to a much greater DPS stat, far surpassing that of any non-automatic melee weapon.
- Grinding barrels and other physics objects will usually result in damage, as they will be pulled violently into the player, then spat off in some random direction at a decent rate of speed proportional to the mass of the object: cars will sometimes scoot towards you, barrels will hit a player hard enough to damage, and shopping carts rocket off like bats out of hell. It is possible to kill non-player characters with lots of patience and no repercussions, by repeatedly flinging barrels at them with The Mauler.
Behind the scenes
- The fact that Everett mentions Monroeville, PA and chopping up ghouls with it is likely a reference to the fact that the Monroeville Mall was the location where the original Dawn of the Dead was filmed and in Night of the Living Dead the police and news casters call the zombies "ghouls". Also, "zombies" is a common derogatory name for ghouls.
- The Pittsburgh Maulers were a team in the short-lived United States Football League.
- When using it in first person mode, it may disappear mid-animation. Bringing up the Pip-Boy immediately afterwards you will notice that your Pip-Boy has disappeared too (but not the screen). Changing to a different weapon quickly clears this bug. [已验证]
Template:Navbox The Pitt