|“|| Vault Dweller: "I seem to have hit a nerve."
Morpheus:"I do not tolerate insults. Guards!"
Outwardly, Morpheus is the supreme leader of the Children of the Cathedral. Though he adopts a pious demeanor and can sound a bit like an old-time country preacher, he does not believe that the Holy Flame, the Dark Lord, the Master is, in fact, God. Morpheus is intelligent, crafty, sly, greasy, and thoroughly evil. Ensnared by the promise of power rather than by belief, he has a short fuse and a terrible anger, which makes him an extremely dangerous individual.
Morpheus used to be a member of the Rippers, a gang of inbreds familiar to him, but he eventually left the gang and became the leader of a doomsday cult. In 2151, he was found by the Master's spies and pledged his followers to him, forming the future core of the Children.
Morpheus lives in the Cathedral, on the tower's highest floor. It is here that he oversees the immediate goals of the Children and holds their Communion by means of large, propaganda-esque monitors located on the main floor. He dies in 2162 by the Vault Dweller's hand, either in person, or as the Cathedral is destroyed.
This character is involved in quests.
colspan="2"| This character has a talking head.
This character is allied with the following faction(s).
- Destroy the Mutant leader: The Vault Dweller may kill or rob Morpheus for his special Cathedral badge in order to gain entrance into the secret vault under the Cathedral. They may also tell him about Vault 13, after which Morpheus will take them to the Master, resulting in the normal dialogue with him.
|Adytum||"Adytum is the city to the northeast of us."|
|Apocalypse, Followers||"My heart bleeds for them. Led down a false path. They don't know their efforts will bring only pain and suffering to their fellow beings."|
|Auditorium||"My child, you should know the Auditorium. I give my sermons there."|
|Base, Children, Chip, Holy Flame||"Nothing to be concerned with."|
|Caravans||"I've no idea what you're talking about."|
|Hospitals||"The Children of the Cathedral hospitals provide the best care in all of this blasted, torn land. This care is vital to the Unity."|
|Lasher||"He is another High Priest. He spends much of his time in the studies."|
|Master||"It is he who brought me the vision of the Unity and it is he who will bring peace to this troubled land."|
|Morpheus||"I am but a humble servant of the Unity."|
|Mutants, nightkin||"The nightkin came to us a while ago. They might be hideous mutants but they are extremely loyal to the Children. As we all are."|
|Nicole||"Nicole is the unfortunate, confused leader of the Followers of the Apocalypse."|
|Order||"We are the high priests of the great Dark God. Thirteen of us are so blessed to pass his mighty words to the rest of the Children."|
|Sanctum||"Don't concern yourself with that. Only the High Priests may enter."|
|Unity||"The Unity is our search for a higher level of life, and unity with our fellow man."|
- Even though Morpheus might seem as a respected character in his community, he is considered only a pawn by his superiors. Especially Lieutenant, the Master's right hand, does not think very highly of him and actually wishes he dies a painful death eventually.
- Pestering him causes him to say “You were warned. Guards!” in a float complete with voice acting. He and Nicole are the only two characters in the game where this happens.
- He seems to follow the Master blindly, never questioning his superior(s), as can be told from dialogue choices.
- It is usually impossible to approach Morpheus normally for conversation because the nearby nightkin automatically turns hostile if you have any companion with you (including Dogmeat), which, by extension, also makes Morpheus hostile. Even with a COC badge and robes, you will be attacked by the nightkin immediately.
- Combat can be bypassed if you have a Stealth Boy, a high enough Sneak skill, and a high enough Intelligence, although if you just stand there, another nightkin will move closer and see you.
- Lasher can be convinced about needing to see Morpheus. If the Vault Dweller tells Morpheus that Lasher sent him up, there is a skill check. If failed, Morpheus will attack out of suspicion. If passed, Morpheus allows the Vault Dweller to leave and says that Lasher likes to get Children into trouble.
- "Ahh...So you are the Vault Dweller I've been hearing about. Surprised? I have my sources. Now, I will take you as a gift to the Master. He'll be very pleased."
- "My heart bleeds for them. Led down a false path. They don't know their efforts will bring only pain and suffering to their fellow beings."
- Vault Dweller: "I seem to have hit a nerve." Morpheus: "I do not tolerate insults. Guards!"
- Vault Dweller: "I'd like to give your master a bit of information about my Vault." Morpheus: "I do not have a master, you imbecile!"
- Morpheus was a former member of the Rippers as mentioned in Nicole's dialogue file and his combat taunts when dodging an attack. His early name was Orfeo.
- His name is a reference to the principal god of dreams in Greek mythology.
- His talking head was originally intended for the cut Elder of Shady Sands.