Constructed in secret by the Vault-Tec Corporation from 2072 onwards, Vault 79 was built with no expenses spared for concealment; a different contractor to the other Appalachian Vaults was used to supply concrete, and land was acquired from local farmers by government agents claiming the land was radioactive, offering large sums of money as compensation.
Its stated capacity was 120 dwellers. The number in Vault 79's designation was chosen in reference to the atomic number of gold, the precious resource that the Vault was designed to store and protect. All the gold from the bullion depository at Fort Knox was secretly transferred to Vault 79 by military forces (such as Captain Fields' team) to act as safe storage and to be used as the basis to rebuild the United States of America and the economy.
Orders given to the soldiers watching over it included treating all intruders as hostile agents and to be dealt with as such, all shift logs were to be packaged and delivered to the officer of the watch, activate the contingency plan when ordered, not to smoke away from the designated smoking area and to stay out of sight.
The secrecy of the Vault was put in jeopardy in July 2072 when a group of soldiers guarding the installation stole millions of dollars and went to gamble in Las Vegas. They were subsequently engaged in a shootout at the Ultra-Luxe casino by the local police forces in an attempt to silence them, and were all killed despite their attempts to surrender, with the sole survivor being Sergeant Kathryn Montgomery, who had been staying in the Lucky 38. Branded as a Chinese spy and dubbed "Shanghai Sally," she escaped the city but was killed trying to flee Galveston, Texas, her boat being destroyed by the USS Wade.
Montgomery was not the final witness to be silenced however, as her partner C. Rutkowski and others who remembered the group from bars around Berkeley Springs disappeared soon after. The dramatic shootout and cover-up attracted the attention of Flavia Stabo, who began investigating Montgomery and the other soldiers and found the Vault shortly before the Great War. Stabo was buried in a shallow grave near its entrance for her troubles, one of the last pre-War casualties of the Vault's need for secrecy.
After the war, the Vault remained sealed, awaiting orders from the outside that the Vault’s gold deposits were needed. At an unknown point, there was a mutiny led by a Secret Service agent nicknamed "Shorty" among the inhabitants, which killed many of them, and the numbers dwindled further over the years as at least three others took their own lives.
By 2103, rumors of the Appalachian treasure drew people seeking it out to the region, and they enlisted the help of a Vault Dweller to obtain it. After they breached Vault 79, the remnants of the Vault's Secret Service detachment allowed them to leave with some of the gold.
The main entrance to Vault 79 is inside of the Mysterious Cave north of the Bailey family cabin. A keypad can be found on a wall inside the cave, which reveals an elevator. There are two ways to obtain the randomized code for the elevator:
- Complete the quest Treasure Unknown in the Grafton Pawn Shop. Enter the six digits read (from the board in the pawnshop) from left to right; the first three digits being on the top row and the last three digits on the bottom row.
- Start the quest Buried Treasure. One gets the code from the Raiders to enter Vault 79.
The elevator leads to the large cavern in front of the signature cogwheel door of Vault 79. Once inside the cavern, one will see a small trailer, a small warehouse section, a truck trailer with goods, and a platform including the Vault 79 entrance terminal. The Vault door could not be opened until the Wastelanders update when the interior became accessible.
Another entrance to Vault 79 is inside of a shack also north of the Bailey family cabin (but not as far north as the mysterious cave). A call button can be found on a wall inside the shack, but the laser grid cannot be opened until after completion of the main Vault 79 quest, Secrets Revealed, when you can pass through the laser grid and take the elevator to the gold storage Vault.
A wide variety of hostile robots and automated turrets inhabit the main areas of the Vault, while the reactor area contains feral ghouls and a single wendigo.
- 布巴 (從前)
- 麥克 (從前)
- 格里爾 (從前)
- 山尼 (從前)
- 小隻 (從前)
- 在79號避難所最初的日子 - 監管人辦公室桌上。
- 靶場密碼 - 同上，壁櫥裡。
- 蔡絲·泰瑞爾的日記 - 在初次見到那群探員的控制室(operations)裡，決定狄哥的命運後可以解鎖進去，在寢室的L型辦公桌上。
- 柯爾·卡佛的日記 - 廚房桌上。
- 蓋瑞森的日記 - 在雷射網左邊角落的控制台上。
- 雷吉納·史東的日記 - 反應爐室第一次碰到狄哥的地方，在他身後的控制台上。
- 雷吉納·史東的日記，紀錄712 - 在輔助指揮中心初次遇到滑舌的地方，往北進去的房間裡。
- 梅賽德斯·史坦的日記 - 上述控制室內，小階梯下來旁邊桌上，旁邊有終端機。
- 強尼的密碼 - 強尼·韋斯頓身上。
- 79避難所設施管理鑰匙卡 - 埋藏的寶藏任務過程取得，在終端機旁邊。解鎖設施管理室的讀卡機。
- 79號避難所門禁卡 - 秘密揭曉任務過程取得。
- 1000條金錠 - 反應爐區西邊的黃金加工室。
- 彈丸破壞者 - 特殊電漿武器。
- Vault 79 was first added in patch 14 on October 23, 2019.
- The Vault elevator code is randomized for each character and may only be solved at the Grafton Pawn Shop by finding all the map fragments and placing them on the board in Flavia Stabo's apartment above the shop.
- After completing the Secrets Revealed quest, the Vault's interior apart from the gold Vault operations becomes inaccessible. Any items the player character wishes to obtain must be acquired before entering the elevator, which will take one to Appalachia instead of the Vault after the quest is complete.
Projector slides & plans
Prior to Wastelanders
- Holland Chase Invoice 9033
- Holland Chase Invoice 9021
- Filtcher farm interview
- File:F76WL Vault 79 blueprint.png
- Vault 79 slideshow transcript
- Vault 79 terminal entries; operational security
- Vault 79 terminal entries; log: 230357ROCT77
- Reginald Stone's journal
- Cole Carver's journal