|Side Quest: Volare!|
|Once the Courier is idolized by the Boomers, report to Pearl in her barracks. She tells about the Boomers' dream of raising a sunken bomber, the B-29.|
|Talk to Loyal about the airplane, he tells it's at the bottom of Lake Mead. He will give Loyal's detonator and two floating devices to attach to the plane.|
|(Optional) Get a rebreather from Jack to let breathe underwater indefinitely. The Courier must have a science skill of 45 or a pressure cooker to obtain it.|
|Travel to the map marker to find the Crashed B-29, near Callville Bay.|
|Attach the ballasts to the underside of each wing.|
|Equip Loyal's detonator and fire.|
|Travel back to Nellis and speak to Loyal then Pearl to complete the quest.|
|Reward: 500 XP|
Boomer flightsuit & Boomers helmet
Volare! is the final quest to complete for the Boomers, and the first one they receive upon entering Nellis. The Courier needs to help the Boomers around Nellis enough to become Idolized by them. This can be achieved by completing quests for them and by interacting with certain Boomers.
Quests that grant Boomer reputation:
- Young Hearts
- Ant Misbehavin'
- Sunshine Boogie
- Bear Necessities
- Malleable Mini Boomer Minds
- Missing a Few Missiles
- Iron and Stealing
Boomers with special interactions:
- Argyll needs help with his patients.
- Pete at the museum has a story to tell, which is worth listening to.
- The Boomer teacher's curriculum can be improved.
After becoming idolized, report back to Pearl in her barracks. She recommends asking Loyal about the Boomer's dream of flight, and he gladly tells a story about the submerged bomber and how he wants it to be raised from the bottom of Lake Mead. To achieve this, he hands out two deployable ballast devices, as well as his detonator.
Before heading to the Lake Mead, Jack can optionally be asked for a rebreather to allow for underwater breathing. To obtain it from him, passing a Science check (45) or bringing him a pressure cooker is necessary.
Travel to the map marker to find the crashed B-29, near Callville Bay. Quickly dive under and attach the ballasts between the two engines and underneath the wings, on each side of the bomber. A hollow 3D image marks the exact spot where to place the devices.
Once both of the ballasts are attached, travel to Callville Bay, where Loyal's detonator will start to beep, indicating that the Courier is in the correct position. All that is left to do is to equip Loyal's detonator as a weapon and fire it to raise the plane.
Travel back to Nellis and speak with Loyal (he has an optional Intelligence check of 7, with no impact on the outcome). Then talk to Pearl to complete the quest, which grants experience, a Boomer outfit and further raises reputation with the Boomers.
- This quest must be completed to convince the Boomers to support one faction during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.
- Killing Pearl at any time fails the quest, and immediately drops reputation with the Boomers to "Hated".
- Completion of this quest while following the Independent path will also allow to bluff General Oliver into backing down, with the threat of the Boomers bombing the Dam.
- Going underwater with the rebreather poses no threat to any companions (they stay on the surface).
- Loyal's detonator is required to raise the B-29, no other detonator will work.
- Rocket souvenirs or dino toys can no longer be given to the Mini Boomers once this quest is completed.
- Mr. New Vegas will indirectly mention the B-29 on Radio New Vegas on two occasions after completing the quest.
- Talking to Pete is a fast way to advance this mission, as a good amount of fame - enough to take the player character from Neutral to Accepted - can be gained simply from listening to the story of the Boomers and then exhausting all the dialogue options with him afterward. Every dialogue option has a skill check, which can be passed for additional fame each time.
Behind the scenes
- Volare! was outlined by Joshua Sawyer and later fully implemented by Akil Hooper.
- "Volare" means "to fly" in Italian.
- The crashed B-29 is based on a real world crash site, referencing a Boeing B-29 crashing into Lake Mead on July 21, 1948 - the same date in-game and in real life.
- Has platform::PC Has platform::Xbox 360 Sometimes after completing the quest, the bomber in the hangar will not be repaired. It will look the same as if the Courier did not start the quest. For a fix on PC, see the Nellis hangars bugs section.[已验证]
- Has platform::PC Has platform::Playstation 3 Has platform::Xbox 360 Sometimes when starting the history lesson at the museum in Nellis, Pete will begin talking about the Boomers, then when he finishes his first part of the speech, he wont move and will stand still. The bug seems to be triggered by activating Pete's other dialogue options. To avoid it, select only the second dialogue option (the one that activates the story).[已验证]
- Othe possible fixes include pushing him as short distance by walking into him, sleeping in a bed for a couple of hours, leaving and re-entering the building, or loading a previous savegame.
- Has platform::PC Has platform::Playstation 3 Has platform::Xbox 360 Sometimes Loyal will not be in the hangar after this quest, which effectively stalls Raul Tejada's side quest, since it requires to speak with Loyal.[已验证]
- Has platform::Xbox 360 Sometimes the quest is activated after the first conversation with Pearl, regardless of reputation with the Boomers or Karma.[已验证]
- Has platform::PC It is possible to enter Nellis at the gate by entering a conversation with a NPC in the middle of an active artillery barrage. However, after doing so, the barrage may continue when one is leaving Nellis later on.[已验证]
- Has platform::PC Has platform::Playstation 3 If choosing to kill Pearl and Loyal while Jack isn't present, there is a chance that he will not be hostile. He will behave as though the Courier helped to raise the B-29 bomber and can still be given scrap metal. If Young Hearts has not been started, the dialogue to initiate the quest will still be available, even though the Courier will immediately fail the quest due to killing Pearl.[已验证]
- Mr. New Vegas: "Witnesses report a huge object or creature surfacing in Lake Mead. So far, photos of the so-called Lake Mead Monster are grainy and underexposed."
(Mr. New Vegas' dialogue)
- Mr. New Vegas: "A large unidentified aircraft has been seen circling the skies above the New Vegas Strip."
(Mr. New Vegas' dialogue)