The Alaskan pipeline was an important construct owned by the United States.
During the Resource Wars, the United States increased its military presence in Alaska to protect its oil interests.[Non-canon 1] A section of the pipeline traveled through Canada, and it was the pipelines near sabotage that prompted the official military annexation of Canada.[Non-canon 2][Non-canon 3] After the annexation, the pipeline was further guarded by United States soldiers.[Non-canon 4]
Behind the scenes
- The real world Trans-Alaska Pipeline System runs from the state's north to the south coasts.
- The pipeline is also mentioned on the front page of Boston Bugle Volume 12, a promotional item that came with the Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VI FM radio module.
- Capitol Post terminals; Capital Post Top Stories -- June 3, 2072, U.S. to Annex Canada!
- Fallout Bible 0: "2059 The Anchorage Front Line is established, as the United States increases its military presence in Alaska to protect its oil interests. The Anchorage Front Line causes tensions in the United States and Canada, as the United States attempts to pressure Canada into allowing American military units to guard the Alaskan pipeline."
- Fallout Bible 0: "2072 The United States' increasing demand for Canadian resources causes protests and riots in several Canadian cities. An attempted sabotage attempt of the Alaskan pipeline is all the military needs as an excuse to begin its annexation of Canada... which in fact, had already begun in 2067."
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p. 43:
"Operation: Anchorage Factions"
"With conditions deteriorating between the United States and China, a military presence in Alaska was established to prevent a possible invasion across the Bering Strait. With increasingly scarce oil reserves, a last deep-sea deposit below the Pacific Ocean was claimed by China before allegedly being sabotaged by American special operatives. Strained relationships spiraled downward into conflict as China marched on Alaska, and the Sino-American War of 2066—2077 erupted. Under the command of General Jingwei, the Chinese Army usurped control of Alaska's oil pipeline and reserves. In response, the Americans began what came to be called "The Alaskan Reclamation Operation" (2067—2077).
Under the leadership of General Constantine Chase, the U.S. Army battled fiercely to the front lines of the conflict before Chase began deploying specialized Power Armor units that began pushing the Chinese back. Future Power Armor suits were further refined as the conflict dragged on, and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was reclaimed. With resources flowing through Canada, strained diplomatic tensions between Canada and the United States becoming problematic, and Canadian forces attacking the pipeline, the country was annexed.
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide faction profiles)
- Fallout Bible 0: "2076 January The United States annexation of Canada is complete. Canadian protesters and rioters are shot on sight, and the Alaskan Pipeline swarms with American military units. Pictures of atrocities make their way to the United States, causing further unrest and protests."