|關於an overview of pulse rifles in the Fallout series of games，參見pulse rifle。|
The YK42B pulse rifle does a whopping 66 hit points of average damage against unarmored foes. Against medium-heavy and maximally heavy personnel armor, it averages 33.24 and 22.54 HP per shot, respectively. This weapon's critical damage is almost unparalleled, with critical hits to the eyes capable of surpassing 300 HP and averaging well over 150 HP against most enemies.
For a character with an average Critical Chance (5%), eye shots from this weapon do more average damage against the heaviest armor types than what point-blank bursts from most machineguns do, at the same action point cost.
不过，它的威力只能在较近的距离上(30 hexes)发挥，而且对于不熟练的使用者来说它的瞄准方式十分地不友好, preventing the player from immediately targeting the farthest enemies in some encounters that occur on desert plains. Secondly, unlike the other high-end rifles, the YK42B lacks both the Weapon Long Range and Weapon Accurate perks, thereby requiring an extremely high skill for accurate aimed shots to be possible at its maximum range.
On the other hand, the YK42B pulse rifle (together with the alien blaster) is the most effective single-shot weapon against Frank Horrigan, whose only weakness is his low resistance to electrical damage.
- It may be found after gaining access to the Brotherhood of Steel bunker in San Francisco in one of the lockers on the lower level.
- From level 19 and onward, some of the robbers found in mountain caverns carry one.
- Many Enclave soldiers on the Enclave Oil Rig, such as Granite, carry one.
- Scoring a killing blow on an enemy with either a critical hit, Bloody Mess trait or simply a powerful enough attack will reduce them into a pile of ash. Thus, any items they were carrying get scattered on the ground nearby and have to be picked up one by one. This can be avoided by turning the violence level down in game settings.
- The YK42B, unlike the YK32 pulse pistol, doesn't fire a visible purple projectile.