|關於a list of player characters in the Fallout series of games，參見player character。|
關於the memoirs of the Vault Dweller，參見Vault Dweller's memoirs。
關於the vault dwellers in Fallout Shelter，參見Vault dwellers (Fallout Shelter)。
2162年5月，放逐者在击败了主教和他的军队后回到13號避難所，被避难所监督放逐(认为他与外界的接触会导致避难所内部混乱)。他在沙漠中游荡，但从未远离保护其余避难所的山脉。 避难所的一些其他成员，听说他的事迹，决定离开避难所，不久后加入到他的行列，跟随他。放逐者最终发现并重新加入了这一小群往昔的避难所居民。 他们对外面的世界知之甚少，如果他不在那里帮助他们，他们几乎肯定无法生存下去。这时，放逐者脱下了他的避难所服装，再也没穿上。
The are rumors that after the Vault Dweller left Arroyo, he, despite his age, returned to adventuring and becomes a traveler. The only place he was spotted so far is the town of Carbon. Here, he helped some of the people to hide from raiders. He also helped the Initiate who was tracing the remnants of Master's army and some Texas Brotherhood of Steel paladins, to locate them, directing him to Los. The Initiate traded him something from his past: a rusty Vault 13 flask, who was at the far end of a mill in Carbon Mill. We don't know what became afterwards but it's certainly left Carbon and continue his travel in the Wasteland.
最值得注意的是，他被记住的名字有两个，放逐者 (被那些相信或直接知道他来自13号避难所的人使用)以及外来者(被那些相信他伟大的人使用，怀疑他是否来自避难所。) 然而，在回忆录的结尾，他把自己称为流浪者。听说这个故事的孩子们常常有着要找到13号避难所的念头，这些孩子中的一些甚至长大成人以后，痴迷于证明放逐者的故居存在。 有一段时间，坦蒂总统会资助这些冒险家，但经历多年的失败之后，她不再看到有这样的人，更不用说资助他们了。
- +20 AC
- +100% Bonus to Explosive Damage
- +100% Bonus to Gun Damage
- +100% Bonus to Heavy Hitter
- +100% Bonus to Melee Damage
- +100% Bonus to Wastelander
- +20% Bonus to Fortune Finder
- +20% Bonus to Slayer
- I always thought of Fallout's story of drawing straws was something the Overseer thought of. "Look, someone has to go outside, and they may die out there, so let's draw straws". Someone, probably not the Overseer since he wouldn't have gone outside no matter what, demanded that EVERYONE draw a straw in order to be truly fair. But to be honest, the vault dwellers were simply terrified of going outside, and terrified people do not always make the wisest decisions.
Anyway, when big dumb Larry drew the straw, maybe the Overseer saw a way to rid their limited gene pool of some really bad alleles. - Tim Cain at DAC forum
The Vault Dweller is the player character in the first Fallout. He is mentioned in every Fallout game to date, including Fallout 3 where he is mentioned in the Citadel of the Brotherhood of Steel, on the Maxson family history terminal located in the Archives as an ally of John Maxson. An elder Vault Dweller also makes a cameo in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, is an unlockable player character and the strongest character in the game.