Microfusion cells are small energy-production units roughly the size of the palm. Each cell is a self-contained fusion plant, complete with its own fusion reactor. They were invented in 2066 by U.S. scientists as a potential solution to the energy crisis amid the Resource Wars. As fusion often uses combustible hydrogen isotopes and requires an enclosed space with sufficient pressure and temperature, microfusion cells may explode if ignited. The No. 1040 MF model is able to provide 1040.8 DC volts and has both positive and negative terminals.
The standard version of the microfusion cell.
Microfusion cell, bulk
The bulk version carries a smaller charge than the standard version, resulting in a reduction in damage and armor penetration, but less strain on the weapon.
Microfusion cell, max charge
The max charge version causes the maximum possible damage and armor penetration, but at the expense of increased weapon degradation.
Microfusion cell, over charge
The over charge version causes more damage and weapon degradation than the standard version but not as much as the max charge version.
Microfusion cell, optimized
Added in the Gun Runners' Arsenal add-on, the optimized version causes more damage than the standard version and over charge version and weighs less than the other versions, but with slightly increased weapon degradation.
- Fallout, Fallout 2 item description: "A medium sized energy production unit. Self-contained fusion plant"
- Fort Independence terminal entries; Research terminal, Research Log - Plasma Rifle
- Pioneer Scout Badge Exam answers; Atomics Fan
- Microfusion cell label: "WARNING: WILL EXPLODE IF DISPOSED OF IN FIRE"
- Microfusion cell label: "No. 1040 MF"
"Capacity: 1040.8 VDC"