Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- The Glowing Sea: After heading through the Glowing Sea and being asked by the Sole Survivor for information on the Institute, Virgil will ask the Sole Survivor to recover an experimental serum that he claims will make him a human again, but isn't sure if it exists or not. The player character must agree to this if they want to complete the quest and continue the main story line. The player character will have to go to the FEV labs in the Institute to retrieve the serum.
- A Loose End: Unless convinced to spare him through a Charisma check, Kells will order the Sole Survivor to kill Virgil.
Effects of player's actions
- After getting the serum, the player character has two options:
- They can simply give Virgil the serum, and certain companions will react differently to this choice. For example, John Hancock, Piper, Nick Valentine, Codsworth, Deacon and Curie like the player's choice to cure Virgil, but Danse won't like it at all; this is due to what happened to his friend Cutler. Strong also won't like it as he prefers being a Super Mutant and is angry with the doctor's ambitions to cure the others.
- They can also lie to Virgil through a sequence of three speech checks, claiming that the serum wasn't there. The checks' difficulty increases with each one. After the first two checks the player character still has the option to give the serum to Virgil through breaking and reinitiating dialogue with him. After the third speech check Virgil requests the player character to kill him and Virgil's Cure will fail. If the player has visited Swan's Pond, and read the notes there, they can ask Virgil if he remembers Edgar Swann after the first speech check. This will lead to a medium speech check to convince him to end his life (bypassing the hard check).
- If the player character is wearing a power armor helmet with a Targeting HUD mod when returning to complete the quest The Glowing Sea, the Sole Survivor will immediately fail the quest upon re-entering rocky cave with the serum. Remove the helmet before entering the cave.
- If upon first entering and leaving the Institute, even if the player does not get the serum, the player character waits before bringing the serum to Virgil for around a week, Virgil is then found completely turned hostile and the quest "The Glowing Sea" will immediately fail upon re-entering rocky cave.
|Institute jumper (as a super mutant)
Blue Institute lab coat (as a human)
|维吉尔的步枪||Fusion cell x7|
- Has platform::PC Has platform::Playstation 4 穿动力甲交他的任务可能导致他敌对。[已核实]
- This is caused by the "Targeting HUD" helmet upgrade (others upgrades may or may not affect this). Simply unequip the helmet on the power armor before entering the cave.[已核实]
- Has platform::PC The Tesla Coil power armor upgrade may attack Virgil's turrets upon returning to the cave towards the end of the quest, making Virgil and the turrets hostile.[已核实]
- Has platform::PC All of Virgil's super mutant textures are extremely low-res even on high-end gaming rigs with all graphics settings set to maximum.[已核实]