It is possible to execute Dirt-Nap outside of V.A.T.S. (without the required Melee skill of 50 to perform the move) by initiating a power attack (hold attack button) while moving forward.
The Bowie knife can successfully strike about 495 times from full condition before breaking.
- Blood-Nap Lonesome Road (add-on)
- Carried by various marked men.
- Stabbed into a sentry bot on level 3 of the Hopeville Silo.
- On the ground to the right of the damaged Eyebot in Municipal sewers.
- Two irradiated legion explorers in the Dry Wells carry them.
- Like the teddy bear, the Bowie knife behaves erratically when picked up, (when placing it on a table, etc.).
- Giving someone a "dirt-nap" (the knife's special V.A.T.S. attack) is common mobster slang for killing someone, similar to "sleeping with the fishes". The term "dirt-nap" is used many times by Set in the original Fallout.