|本文介紹的是the package courier. 關於the AI overseer of the Big Empty，參見ODYSSEUS。|
沙漠之狐镇压枯井营地的行动是尤利西斯深痛的记忆。然而出于对凯撒和公牛旗帜的奉献之心，他没有选择叛逃。由于能力于气度出众，他迅速跃升为一名凯撒军团重要而难以替代的密探，以邮差的身份漫游废土之上。凯撒提醒尤利西斯不要杀害同行，因为 - 很多邮差实际上都是军团的成员。
尤利西斯继续行走于废土，为凯撒探索这片土地。在2274至2277年之间，尤利西斯发现了名位“大分水岭”的群落，按他的自己的说法：“一个国家的第一次呼吸”，-一个有望被尤利西斯称作家园的地方 - 未被谎言和其他一切所染指- 一次重新开始的机会 - 一个跳出军团的思想框架的新思路。令他失望的是，这个繁荣的群落已经被NCR发现并附属于NCR了，这理所当然的引起了军团的注意，并派出了一只小规模的军队以期接管此地。尤利西斯拟定了挽救大分水岭的计划，然而在他实施之前，信使受NCR雇用，（无意地）从内瓦罗带来了一个包裹 - ED-E的拷贝。 尤利西斯被这包裹迷住了，它印着美利坚战前的印记，却是一个他从未见过的印记。然而这个装置携带的却是毁灭的信息：它被激活了，开始“说话”，很可能是开始播放惠特利博士的语音日志，这激活了数个从战前就深藏在地下弹仓的核弹头，结果是突然和毁灭性的；深藏在希望城和阿什顿地下的弹头只能用一种方式来回应这段信息 - 引爆。大地在震颤中四分五裂，居民死伤怠尽，NCR连队和军团派遣来切断NCR供给的游击队也在地震中被埋葬
这次灾难本应夺走尤利西斯的性命，也确实差一点就杀死了他 - 不论肉体还是灵魂。然而命运对他另有安排。一些医疗用眼球机器人，也被ED-E的拷贝所激活，识别了尤利西斯背后的旗帜，救了他的命。尤利西斯的一生在这一天彻底改变了，这一天向他展示了历史如何因单单一个人而改变。作为大分水岭唯一神志清醒的幸存者，他将毁灭他“理想”的家园的责任算到了信使的头上 - 因为信使毁灭的是“比巨熊更壮硕，比公牛更伟大”的东西。与此同时，这也启发了他。2277年，他回到凯撒的身边，了解到了第一次胡佛大坝之战军团败退的结果。随后，他获得一项新任务。
同年，凯撒派遣尤利西斯前往大盐湖充当眼线并集结白腿部落对抗新迦南- 白腿承担的工作是切断NCR在猶他州的补给线和毁灭新迦南，还有 - 杀死约书亚.格雷汉姆。他成为了白腿的导师，被称为“持旗者”。他向他们灌输军团的价值观，为他们提供了数个猶他州的补给储藏点和掩体位置，如西班牙福克，教导他们枪械和火药知识，并向他们谎称凯撒的尊严 - 很多人相信这一点。这种欺骗令尤利西斯的内心产生了疑问，这手法恰恰是沙漠之狐当年所使用的，也正是这个人背叛了尤利西斯的部族尤利西斯对白腿部落来说是鼓舞人心的存在，当他们将荣誉归于他而不是军团时，他深受触动。在解决了新迦南后，他注意到白腿开始将他们的头发结成发绺，就象他的头发一样。对他们来说，这是对导师表达敬意的方式； 对尤利西斯， 这却是对他已经毁灭的部族的空洞的嘲弄。他几乎迷失在思索白腿变换发绺的意义的思考中，直到他发现，这根本没有什么特别的含义。
厌倦了这一段历史 - 他自己创造的一段，尤利西斯了结了他对凯撒的责任。放手任白腿自生自灭后，再次出发寻找改变历史的方法 - 唤醒美利坚的方法 - 寻找一块如同大分水岭般平和强韧的土地 - NCR和军团均非人性的长远之道。他在狼角牧场修养了一段时间，整理他的思绪。有一段时间他成了一名相当成功的大角羊牧民偶而兼职邮差。在这段时间的某个时点，他找到了前往赛拉.马德雷赌场通路。
尤利西斯同样与智囊团会面了，特别是克莱因博士，后者在回忆时提及：“他”是个忧郁的家伙，问了很多历史问题。他们的谈话两次被打断 - 一次由于伊利亚的逃离举动 - 另一次似乎是克莱因的数据库遭到了清除。尤利西斯也与莫比乌斯博士进行了交谈。尤利西斯在Big Empty给智囊团提出了一个问题：“既然不知道你们的历史，那你们还知道自己是谁吗？”。 这个问题使智囊团的记忆开始恢复 - 曾几何时，美利坚，尤利西斯背后的旗帜，不仅仅是面旗子，而是一片土地，一个他们曾经十分在意的概念。在他们记忆觉醒之后，智囊团告诉他：是什么东西“依旧保存着美利坚之声。”，是深藏在分水岭之心的”分水岭巨人“ - 分散在破碎的大地下的核弹仓和激活它们的装置都在沉睡着。不管是出自他们之手还是莫比乌斯，智囊团关于尤利西斯的问题的记忆被抹去了，为了能让他们在大山脉永久停留。尤利西斯离开了，决心以一己之力重塑末日后的世界，如同信使当初以一己之力重塑大分水岭。
Ulysses' dual obsessions with the Courier and the Divide are motivated by several factors. He is the only unmutated survivor of the disaster at the Divide, and because it was - from Ulysses' point of view, that is - the Courier who caused the destruction of the community, Ulysses came to believe in the impact that a single person can have on history. The Courier is not even aware of having been involved in the event, as was hinted at by Chris Avellone before the release of Lonesome Road. He stated, cryptically:
Interactions with the player character
|此角色可以修理物品。||修理 瓶盖: -|
- The Job: After having completed The Silo, Ulysses will contact the Courier through ED-E and tell them to come find him.
- The Courier: Ulysses is finally confronted by the Courier inside Ulysses' Temple, beneath the flag of the Old World, as he is about to trigger a second nuclear apocalypse. Ulysses can either be fought by the Courier, or convinced to stand down and fight by the Courier's side against the marked men invading the temple.
Effects of player's actions
- If Ulysses is killed by the Courier, the Courier tears down his Old World flag and uses it as a shroud, although whether out of respect or anger is an interpretation "best left to history."
- If Ulysses is convinced not to fight the Courier, by means of two Speech checks of 90 and 100 or by talking to him about his logs, or by obtaining all ED-E upgrades in the Divide and talking to him about ED-E's logs, he can be found sitting vigil above the Hopeville ruins, just at the entrance to the Divide.
- If Ulysses lives, after the quest The End or The Apocalypse, he can be found near the entrance to the canyon wreckage, where he will help the Courier make campfire recipes. Ulysses will also present new dialogue options, such as giving hints at how to deal with Legate Lanius and commenting on possible previous in-game actions in the Mojave (e.g. killing Mr. House).
- Ulysses will also supply the Courier with miscellaneous items he found in Hopeville (The Courier's Mile), including rockets, Rad-X, RadAway, MREs, and pre-War books.
- If he is alive at the conclusion of Lonesome Road, he will offer both the history and recipes of the bitter drink and the snakebite tourniquet.
12.7mm submachine gun
Frag grenade x6
Stealth Boy x2
- Intentional or not, Ulysses shares many traits with Joshua Graham. Both are serious, erudite men, who are fond of quoting others. They use their deep voices to speak in a bookish manner with a philosophical bent. Both were skilled members of Caesar's Legion and mentors of a tribe. Both have also committed acts incongruous with their moral outrage at perceived atrocities perpetrated by others.
- Ulysses' red, white and blue spray-painted flags can be found in many locations in Big MT and the Divide and were left by Ulysses while tracking storms, in hopes that the marks might be followed and someone else could discern a pattern. Within the Divide, the red color indicates hostile areas, white marks the proper pathways, and blue denotes hidden caches.
- Ulysses created holotape logs and left them along the road to the Divide. These can be found by the Courier, and were apparently a gift from Christine Royce for saving her.
- His face is a unique model linked to his unique breathing mask and differing greatly from other human character models (i.e. he doesn't blink, he has a unique hairstyle, and his texture is more detailed).
- After taking the duster and mask from his corpse, his dead body will still be wearing them.
- Since his face is fully textured beneath his breathing mask, it can only be viewed in-game via external manipulation. His lips don't move when he speaks, and no part of his face is animated.
- 和羅伊上校及蓋屋斯·馬格努斯一樣，尤利西斯面对击倒类的攻击（如Ranger Takedownor the special attack of the bumper sword）时不会被击倒。Because he cannot be knocked down, he simply freezes in place when he suffers a critical hit from the Compliance Regulator.
- Ulysses is 15% faster than a normal human character and the game's only human character with more than 1000 health points.
- Ulysses can be seen in various places in Lonesome Road, briefly watching the Courier and then walking away. This can be seen on top floor of the still standing base of The Crow's Nest and in the building south of the Sunstone Tower roof.
- The Ulysses that stalks the Courier has a separate ref ID and cannot take damage or be killed via console commands.
- Ulysses is one of the very few non-hostile NPCs in the Divide. The others being ED-E and the medical eyebots.
- After Ulysses sides with the Courier, he becomes invincible while in the missile silo; when reduced to 0 hit points he will instantly regain full health instead of dying or falling unconscious.
- Ulysses has a somewhat positive view on Joshua Graham, commenting that "Graham earned his life" and that no real good would come of killing him.
- Ulysses has a very dim view on Mr. House, commenting that he is "best left buried with the Old World."
- He is one of the very few characters that cannot be pickpocketed. Attempting to do when he is at the pass to canyon wreckage will simply initiate conversation instead.
- "They only take what parts they find in the Divide, never roam beyond it - can't even leave the silos without a human to shadow, like hounds. Maybe they saw the flag on my jacket, thought I was of America. If so, history saved me. A sign. - Monologue about medical eyebots"
- "You came all this way for answers. Only currency I have."
- "You got lives in you, hard to kill. Storm, bullets, sand and wind, yet still you walk. For now."
- "Missile silos exploded from beneath the ground, cracked the landscape. Sand, ash... the dead... the Divide skies became a graveyard."
- "No need to destroy the bear. Just cut its throat."
- "America sleeps ahead of you, its nightmares filled with quakes, storms. You'll need to find your own path."
- "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
- "To the Divide they came... in the Divide, they rest."
- "Burn away the flags. Begin again."
- "No need for bombs, when hate will do."
- "My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that."
- "The Divide... this place is a slice of it. Old military. Can still smell the pride. And the fear. Hope of the old world, wrapped in fencing, covered in storm."
- "Road gets rougher from here, Courier. Left marks for you - colors'll tell the way - if you're smart. They'll lead you to your home one more time, lead to the ending of it - maybe remind you why you wander."
- "Home isn't where you're born into this world."
- "Don't need Old World medicine to kill you."
- "You have forgotten all you were, traded glory for savagery. Fitting."
- "If war doesn't change, men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier..."
- "If you feel its loss... remember you could have turned away at any time. Gone back home, and none of this would have happened. But you had to make one last delivery, and that's why I knew you'd come, Courier. Couldn't stay away, it's who you are."
- "The day I set my flag down, it'll be over my body or over a nation I believe in."
- "There is a shadow of a nation behind you, the hope of a people... yet it may not matter. The Divide still stands against us. [...] Our enemies gather outside... shadows of the Bear and Bull... they will have found their way in, just as you did. It was always my intention - in case I could not kill you, the Marked Men would flood this place, cut off your escape. If we cannot prevent what comes, then let us make our stand here. Two Couriers, together, at the Divide."
- "Before you... this is the edge of the Divide. Ahead lies your work, the history you burned in the earth. What you brought to the people here."
- "You gave it a name. What was it to you? Companion? Slave... weapon? All of that, nothing compared to its primary function. It's a messenger. Like us... and it shares our history."
- "My family? My tribe lives... its history? Died long ago, fell under the shadow of the Bull... consumed by another symbol. No, this isn't about family - or any common blood. It's blood shared by acts, not by chance."
- "There's a lesson here, in the Divide. Old World history about paving and intentions could teach the Republic a thing or two - if they listened. They have an idea of trying to do what's right, never quite getting there. [...] They're stretched thin, can't protect their frontlines, their towns. Think paper's power, radio means control. All of it? Useless."
- "Not if you believe in what you follow. Kill no Courier, Caesar's words. I honored them. Other Couriers could have been Legion - like me. The truth is, you serve nothing, believe nothing. Killing you... meaningless."
- "All these roads, you walked. These packages you carried. Think it wasn't your choice? Of course it was your choice. You could have stayed in the Mojave. But you chose to come, couldn't let be - not in you to let go. Came for no other reason than you were curious, restless - always have been. Had to know the why of it - now, I'll show you."
- "You don't see, listen - even when it's all around you, no matter if I nailed it into your head like a gift from Caesar."
Ulysses was originally supposed to appear in Fallout: New Vegas, but was cut from the final version of the game. He is mentioned indirectly in Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Money and Honest Hearts, appears in voice in Old World Blues and makes a full appearance in Lonesome Road.
- 尤利西斯的名字是他自己后来改的， 取自尤利西斯 S. 格蘭特, 南北战争时期的将军，根据尤利西斯自己的话：“。。。为了将两个部族统一在一面旗帜下而战。The Courier can even comment that Ulysses' namesake was the historical general as opposed to the figure of Greek mythology.
- If siding with NCR (or killing Caesar and haven't failed Don't Tread on the Bear!), when talking to Ulysses through ED-E the first time, he'll refer to the Two-headed bear not being the first historic American symbol. He explains that the "Old World" symbol had one head. This is reference to the current real-world Flag of California, from the Bear Flag Revolt in 1846, which is the same as the NCR flag but the bear has one head and the inscription is "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC" instead of "NEW CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC."
- Ulysses was originally supposed to be a companion in Fallout: New Vegas, but was cut from the final version of the game and now appears only in the add-on Lonesome Road and playing cards that came with the Collector's Edition. According to Chris Avellone, "he [...] was a complicated character in terms of some of the hooks into the storyline".
- In the original version of Fallout: New Vegas, Ulysses-as-companion was designed with a number of goals in mind:
- He had to reinforce the faction reputation mechanic, which Avellone thought was one of the key mechanics in the game.
- He had to react strongly to NCR/Legion conflict and the Courier's role in it, acting as a sounding board when possible.
- He had to be a Legion sympathetic character and explain Legion back story elements, since there wasn't much Legion support in the companions.
- He had to continually remind the player of Hoover Dam as the focus, and his backstory incorporated that (he was the frumentarius who discovered the Dam and NCR long ago).
- Showcase myth elements. Ulysses was big about symbols, and his take on the NCR flag, the Legion flag was also reflected in their champions (he viewed Legate Lanius as an Eastern myth in the making, and he felt the Courier could achieve that same mythological status for the West or for the Mojave).
- He was to complement the cool visual design changes that Joshua Sawyer had included for other companions (similar to Raul Tejada and Arcade Gannon, Ulysses would have the vest/flag changes, except it would depend on Courier's end faction allegiance when they completed Ulysses' vision quest).
- Dialogue with Johnson Nash and Christine Royce in the Executive suites
- Dialogue with Joshua Graham and Ulysses
- According to Yes Man, seven couriers were hired to deliver the platinum chip, not six.
- Dialogue with Ulysses
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide.
- Torn journal page
- Patient log: Y-17
- Only way in which it makes logical sense.
- Will Ooi » Blog Archive » Unmasking the Gamers: Chris Avellone – game designer, writer, and former ‘unlucky schlep’ – Part 1
- Ulysses stalking us during LR?
- Feature Interview: Chris Avellone, Game Designer, Fallout: New Vegas by Matt London | Lightspeed Magazine
- Gamasutra: Will Ooi's Blog - An Interview with Chris Avellone - game designer, writer, and former 'unlucky schlep' - Part 3