The Lost Hills is a pre-War government bunker in Southern California and the headquarters of the Brotherhood of Steel, located in the deserts west of Junktown and the Hub, directly southeast of the Mariposa Military Base. Mysterious and impenetrable, it is the subject of myths and legends among many wastelanders.
The Lost Hills base can be found four squares west and eight squares south of Vault 13.
The Lost Hills bunker had been originally constructed to house members of the government of the United States of America. Although this facility was completed before the Great War (2077), none of its intended inhabitants had actually managed to reach it.
Eventually, the bunker was re-settled by the soldiers from the Mariposa Military Base commanded by Captain Roger Maxson in an event called the Exodus. Maxson and his men were originally serving as a security detail for scientists working on FEV. Having discovered the atrocities performed in the name of science during FEV research, they executed all the scientists and declared themselves to be in full desertion from the US Army. Three days later, the Great War ended two hours after it started.
After burying the scientists in the wastes outside of Mariposa, the soldiers sealed the military base, then headed out into the desert, taking supplies and weapon schematics with them. In November 2077, the captain and his men, together with their families, had arrived at the Lost Hills, suffering many casualties along the way, including Maxson's wife (but not his teenage son). The Lost Hills bunker became the headquarters of the newly formed Brotherhood of Steel.
The installation was renovated and maintained by the Brotherhood for years, as they steadily gathered technology to preserve and research. After the events of Fallout (2161–2162), the installation became a major research and development house, staying out of the politics of New California and aiding the newly formed NCR.
Lost Hills was a pre-War government security bunker. Located almost entirely underground, 它实际暴露在地表的部分was a small, reinforced structure containing the primary access elevator. After the Brotherhood seized the location, two sentries in power armor stood guard at the entrance at all times. One, a man named Cabbot, begins the become an initiate quest.
地堡出入口的周围and the surrounding wastes也时刻有大量身着动力盔甲的卫兵routinely在巡视，An encounter with them will usually result in thorough questioning and likely temporary arrest for trespassing on their land.
第二层则是新兵的生活和学习区以及facility's医疗区，The youngest members of the organization spend their time here, studying to become either a Knight or Scribe, under the watchful eyes of higher ranking members. 这里的生活空间并不算充裕，12名新兵共享一间宿舍（如果采用的是热铺制度的话人数还要更多）, but fitted with all the necessary amenities。除开新兵的活动区域之外，这一层的医疗区也同样值得关注，钢铁兄弟会掌握的战前科技在这里就已经可以瞥见一角：
医疗区is well stocked with medical supplies and in 2161 it offered the best medical treatment across the entirety of New California. 除去可以提供在人们常识中治愈疾病、伤痛、辐射和成瘾的服务for free之外，也可以为任何获得准许的人进行身体强化植入物的改造：
- ST: $2000, 3 weeks
- PE: $4000, 1 week
- EN: $3000, 1 week
- IN: $6000, 3 weeks
- AG: $5000, 3 weeks
地下三层堪称兄弟会的心脏：这里是钢铁兄弟会的工作间，在这里，无数骑士为修复和维护回收的技术产物而忙碌不休，學士则忙于将记载着知识的各种文献归类并存放到图书馆中，留待后人发掘。在这里工作的骑士和學士的宿舍也就近安排在了同一层中，比起新兵的宿舍生活空间要大一些，only three persons are quartered per room，但是生活设施一樣简陋。
In 2161, Master Scribe Vree spends a lot of her time in the libraries, 忙于研究vital subjects for the Brotherhood. 她干脆将床铺搬进图书馆。
如果说第三层可以被比作钢铁兄弟会的心脏的话，第四层，即最下层则毫无疑问地堪称这个组织的大脑——除去指挥中心、基地主机等核心设施，长老们也居住在这一层，每一名钢铁兄弟会的长老都有着自己单独的房间，但他们的生活水平提升程度似乎也就到此为止了。长老们often齐聚于会堂之中，located at the back of the auditorium,但他们各自的分歧常常拖延决议的进程(except that there's four of them, although even that was questioned)。
The mainframe, processing and storage containing the collective knowledge of the Brotherhood, is located out of the way, behind the quarters, accessed through an airlock. Interestingly, it isn't guarded by anyone, unlike the Elders' quarters and meeting room.
The denizens of Lost Hills are exclusively Brotherhood of Steel members, with only merchants and other essential contractors allowed inside for their services. Discipline is strictly maintained, and everyone is expected to fulfill their duties. Members are treated equally, expected to respect other castes and, while highly disciplined, allowed a bit of room for human relations.
Equipment-wise, castes can be easily identified:
- Knights and Knight Initiates wear Brotherhood armor and carry AK-112 assault rifles.
- Scribes and Scribe Initiates wear characteristic brown robes and use Wattz 1000 laser pistols.
- Paladins use T-51b power armor and employ heavy weapons.
- Elders wear easily identifiable blue robes with yellow lining and are unarmed.
Things to do编辑
As with all the other locations, there are quite a few things to do in the bunker:
- Watch the initiate hand-to-hand training session with brother Thomas for a 5% increase in your Unarmed and Melee Weapons skills and 500 XP.
- Receive your reward from Talus for rescuing the initiate; T-51b power armor is only available if your Reputation is 16 or more.
- Get a set of Brotherhood armor and three ammunition units of your choice from Michael (supposedly, it's your weekly issue, but you can only do it once).
- Get the systolic motivator from Rhombus' office to fix the broken T-51b power armor unit on level 3.
- Raid the Brotherhood storeroom by lockpicking the door to it and slaughtering the Brotherhood (loot includes two sets of power armor).
- Get healed and de-radiated for free at the doctor.
- Receive augmentations from the good doctor (see above for pricing and recovery times).
- Receive the autopsy report from Vree to gain an edge against the Master.
- Receive computer science training from Vree.
- Receive Rad-X from Vree.
- Receive the Brotherhood History holodisk from Sophia.
- Receive the assignment to scout the Mariposa Military Base from John Maxson.
- Receive gear for the assignment from Mathia (sniper rifle, rocket launcher, laser pistol, power fist, or Ripper).
- Present the Mariposa report to the Elders and receive Brotherhood support for the attack on the base (or to Cathedral if link between Mariposa and Cathedral is found).
- Become an initiate
- Rescue Initiate from the Hub
- Convince the Elders to send help (to Mariposa or to Cathedral)
- Guard the caravans
- Scout the northern wastes
- Fix the broken T-51b power armor
- Receive training from Thomas
- Get Sophia some pulse grenades for Michael
- The background music is Metallic Monks, which has been later used in locations throughout Fallout: New Vegas, including Freeside.
- In Fallout 3, according to the Citadel terminal entries, the Brotherhood of Steel is protecting the state of Maxson in the NCR. Though this action is against the Brotherhood's ideology, it might have been a result from the internal conflict mentioned in the Citadel as well.
Behind the scenes编辑
- In Fallout 3 during the Galaxy News Radio quest, after you defeat the super mutant behemoth, one of the Paladins will mention Lost Hills by saying "That should give the boys at Lost Hills something to think about."
- Lost Hills seems to be based off of the real life town of Lost Hills, California, north of Bakersfield, where Vault 12 is located.
Originally, Lost Hills was not a bunker - it was a small concrete building, found by soldiers from Mariposa that employed it as a base, and slowly but steadily changed it into a true fortress. More information is in the original Vault 13 timeline.
The Brotherhood also had an invasion ending planned, where the super mutants march against the Brotherhood and lay siege to Lost Hills. While defending their fortress valiantly, a traitor, Kedrick, would assassinate the Elders and sell the Brothers to the super mutants. Lost Hills would be subsequently destroyed. An unused "Dead Brotherhood" map is still included in the game files and can be accessed via the main menu.
Other cut elements include a few non-player characters (notably a scribe mourning the Brotherhood's reluctance to explore "soft" sciences such as sociology or psychology), a romance subplot including Jennifer the Paladin, another Michael-related subquest about pulse grenades and girls from lower levels and a day/night cycle in the bunker.