|“||It has potential, although I don't know if building out of the refuse of the past is the best way to construct the future.||”|
Junktown is one of the smaller towns in southern California. It was founded shortly after the War by a soldier called Darkwater. Instead of building on the ruins of an old town, he thought it would be better to begin from the ground up. As the name suggests, it was built after the Great War out of random pieces of junk, mostly from wrecked cars. The town mostly lives off of trading and has a reputation for open hospitality.
In 2161, the mayor of Junktown was Killian Darkwater, grandson of the town's founder, who also ran Darkwaters General Store. Another big player in the town was Gizmo, a big-time crook and casino owner. While Gizmo's casino brought a lot of tourists and money into the town, problems also came with it. Other important places in Junktown at that time included Crash-House Inn, home to the Skulz and the Skum Pitt, a bar owned by Neal. Doc Morbid was the town's doctor. Tycho, a Desert Ranger, also resided in Junktown for a while at that time.
Drawing weapons in town is not permitted except in self-defense. The gates to the town are closed at night. Lars headed the guards in Junktown, working for Killian Darkwater. The gates were guarded by Kalnor. They also had a jail, which is guarded by Andrew. The guards were aware of the illegal activities of Gizmo and the Skulz, but they didn't want to act without proper evidence. Gizmo hired a man to assassinate Killian, in order to gain full control over the town. It is not explicitly stated in Vault Dweller's memoirs which side the Vault Dweller sided with, as it alludes to both Killian and Gizmo.
Junktown can be found one square east and nine squares south of Vault 13.
Junktown is divided into three districts.
The only entrance to Junktown. People need to holster their weapons or they won't be accepted into the town. This part of this town consists of a hospital where Doc Morbid heals his patients, (at a high cost) and a jail where people who don't abide by the law are held.
The Crash House is a hotel where travellers rest. It also contains a back door where the Skulz make plans. Near it is Killian's store where people can buy weapons, ammo, medicine, etc.
Gizmo's Casino is the most decorated building in Junktown. Some, however, believe the dealers are cheats and the games are rigged. Near the casino there is the Skum Pitt, a bar run by Neil and the boxing ring, with Saul as the champion.
- But this is not a city of open hospitality. If you desire that, go to Junktown. - Aradesh of Shady Sands
- My father used to tell me stories about the War. His father was a soldier before starting Junktown. - Killian Darkwater
- You'd better put that away. Junktown is a friendly place, friend, and we want to keep it that way. - Kalnor, a Junktown guard
- Junktown is a little south and a ways west. It's smaller, but still a good place to drop in for a drink. It's overseen by a fellow by the name of Killian Darkwater, the local shopkeeper, sheriff, and mayor. - Ian
- Junktown's pretty tame. I prefer the more dangerous routes. - Keri of Crimson Caravan
- It was here that I learned the most important rule of all: doing a good thing sometimes means being a very bad person. My memories of Junktown are tainted, and I feel no remorse for my actions in that place. - Vault Dweller's memoirs
垃圾鎮的早期設計中，結局是相反的。如果玩家幫了基利安·黑水，基利安的"frontier justice"農場would discourage traders and merchants from starting businesses in the area，城市依舊規模很小。如果玩家幫了吉斯莫，那吉斯莫的賭場會讓這座城市變成一個新生的小鎮。Ultimately, it was decided that this mixed message was unsatisfying because it meant that the expected results (a "good" ending for supporting Killian and the law, versus an "evil" ending for supporting Gizmo and his criminal enterprises) did not match the player's actions. The ending was subsequently changed so that supporting Killian led the town to prosper with law and order, while supporting Gizmo turned the town into a seedy den of iniquity.