|“||Everyone's so goddamn trigger happy these days.||”|
但事實上他是學院直到2277年創造最先進的三代合成人。起初，他在合成人回收部負責抓捕合成人。學院的合成人回收部對合成人逃跑給出的理由都是故障，他也曾對此深信不疑，直到一次追捕合成人的任務裡他意識到合成人逃跑的原因絕非如此。事實是這些合成人產生了屬於人類的情感並開始對自身進行思考，這種感情讓他對本應帶回到學院的合成人產生了同情，哈克尼斯捕獲的合成人心裡已經開始追求自由，也正是這種追求才讓他下定決心，"自由絕不是甚麼故障！" as Harkness would later say in a holotape before escaping.他們決定逃離學院。
儘管他成功逃離了聯邦，他知道自己遲早還會被抓回去，他需要一張新的臉，一個新的聲音和一個新的＂哈克尼斯＂，只有這樣他才能開始新的生活。With the help of the Railroad, 他聯繫上了首都廢土的鉚釘城的哈洛斯·平克頓，一位為數不多的能同時為他整容並清除記憶的外科醫生兼機器人專家。平克頓最終從112號避難所中偷出了一塊芯片並植入了A3-21的身體中。他的合成人記憶被清除，新的哈克尼斯則變為了一位從昏迷中醒來的老兵。
During the day, Harkness will be outside Flak 'N Shrapnel's weapon store in the Rivet City marketplace. He may be on the top floor of the bridge tower from midnight to 6:00 a.m. When meeting him for the first time, if the player character tells him they are going to leave, he'll be stuck at the entrance for the rest of the game. However, the player character can still walk past him without incident.
Interactions with the player character
- The Replicated Man: Harkness turns out to be the android which Dr. Zimmer is looking for. The Lone Wanderer can make a choice to either help Harkness to escape notice, or Zimmer, who then takes him back to the Commonwealth.
- Dart of Harkness: The player character may send one of their dwellers to meet him at a Super-Duper Mart.
|Rivet City security uniform||Chinese assault rifle||Armory key
Pack of cigarettes
- "But I'm done with that life. I'm through with being someone's property. I am not malfunctioning! Since when is self determination a malfunction?"
- "I never should've let you on this damn boat!"
- "Everyone's so goddamn trigger happy these days."
- "We've got ourselves a psychopath. Everyone stand clear!"
- "You're just pissing me off!"
- "You're a petty criminal, but I'm willing to give you another chance. Don't disappoint me."
Behind the scenes
- When prompted with his activation code, Harkness will mention all of the 'runners' he 'brought down.' This is a reference to the movie Blade Runner and the book it was based on, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. In the movie, Rick Deckard is famous for hunting and eliminating "replicants," which are much like "androids" (or "synths" as they are known in Fallout 4). It is a disputed claim that Deckard himself is a replicant, furthering Harkness's resemblance to him as an artificial being unaware of his synthetic nature that hunts other artificial beings.
- One of his replies might be "Oh yeah? And I'm a fairy princess." this is a reference to an utterance made by Max Rockatansky in the film Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
- James before reaching Rivet City, Harkness will become stuck at the main entrance. [已核实] Should the Lone Wanderer rescue