合成人， are cybernetic organisms designed to resemble humans.大体来说，根据复杂性，合成人可以分为三代：
- 第一代 是纯粹的机器人, 只是在身体结构上模仿人类，但是并不比保卫者机器人拥有更高的智能。他们看上去就像是一个挂着金属关节，机械器官和液压肌肉的瘦高骷髅。它们对学院完全忠诚，操着完全地机械声调，即便缺胳膊少腿也不会畏缩，而且就像其他机器人一样，他们也能承受大量的伤害, never backing down from a fight even with their limbs blown off.
- 第二代 看上去和第一代差不多，防御也更高，在他们的机械骨架上也有了覆盖在一层薄金属板上的塑料肉体。尽管确实更像人了，但智能有限的他们那些病态的灰黄色皮肤上的接缝让他们看起来来更像是塑料模型。他们的表皮更加脆弱，击打与射击很容易就会让它们暴露出里面的机械装置。这些合成人经常穿着合成人护甲，而在学院里则是穿着学院连身服。他们仍然操着机器声音，但是比一代合成人的语音听上去流利很多。
- 第三代 代表了合成人科技的顶峰，它们与人类的区别只有从细胞级别才能看出来。每个三代合成人都是由实验室培养的骨架，肌肉及其他组织拼装，在学院机器实验室赋予生命，最后在生理与心理院成为完全的成人。尽管三代合成人是完全的生物体， 但在他们的脑部都被植入了神经芯片，借此他们可以通过声控的方式被关闭或者重新编程。除非杀掉合成人，否则这个植入体不可能被检测出来。
许多联邦的居民也对学院的合成人充满了偏见与猜忌，担心自己可能会被学院杀害并被用合成人替代。可怕的是，他们猜的没错。很多合成人间谍都表现的天衣无缝，足以骗过不知情的人。There are some examples of Commonwealth citizens that were murdered and replaced with synth duplicates whom the Sole Survivor interacts with on missions if they choose to join the Institute.
有着从实验室培养出来的骨骼、血肉与器官，三代合成人无论是生理还是心智都与人类区别不大，除了杀掉合成人之外也没有办法通过医学方式鉴定一个人是否为合成人。 As Dr. Roslyn Chambers found, no medical tests or procedures can identify someone as a synth without killing them (synths that infiltrate settlements, for example, only drop synth components when killed). Psychological tests, such as Covenant's SAFE test, are dubious at best. 然而三代合成人仍然不是完美的，仍然与人类有一些不那么明显的区别:它们的身材不会发生变化，而且还很喜欢吃蛋糕。
There are many Generation 3 synths that are hidden in plain sight in the Commonwealth. They include, but are not limited to, Magnolia, the singer of the Third Rail and Danse, a paladin of the Brotherhood of Steel.
While most Synths are Gen 1 or Gen 2 and are thus allied to the Institute, synths can also be encountered in other places.
在游戏中，玩家建立的广播站吸引来的居民里就可能包括合成人，如果这些合成人被放到刚好路过兄弟会据点的补给线上，他们会被兄弟会攻击, stalling any building the player character can do. Template:Citation needed
在僅存者收回城堡之后and has an ample amount of well-off settlements，合成人也有可能会加入到义勇军巡逻队，但这些合成人路过兄弟会据点时不会被攻击。Sometimes their patrol routes take them straight through the Boston Airport, into the courtyard of Fort Strong, and back through again. They will not fire upon each other and will sometimes pleasantly engage in dialogue with each other. Template:Citation needed
玩家与学院交恶时(in other words, completed the quest Banished from the Institute)合成人居民将会更频繁的出现，玩家招募的合成人会袭击其他村民。
Synths often come in groups of four or so, armed with Institute weapons. Like ghouls, their limbs can be removed without killing them, and they will adjust their tactics accordingly. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
Stronger than an ordinary synth, these striders, while fairly weak, are still a significant step up. They, like their counterparts, almost exclusively use Institute weapons and in some instances, shock batons. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
Unlike most synths, leaders are armored and possess heavily modified Institute weapons. They almost exclusively travel with other synths and often act as the final opponent in synth occupied areas. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
A step up from the synth strider and leader variants, the patroller is stronger and has better aim. They are usually seen in groups with other synths, such as synth striders or leaders, and are usually seen with Institute pistols or rifles. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
A variant even stronger than the synth patroller. As with other synths, they can be found traveling in groups. Usually seen with the same weapons as the synth patroller. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
Synth troopers are the standard Institute soldier and more aggressive than most of their counterparts. They usually spawn in weaker packs of synth striders or occasionally patrollers. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
The synth assaulter is a mid-to-high level synth, that is the first variant to be equipped with synth heavy armor.
The synth stormer is a high-level synth, often seen with other high-level variants of synths equipped with sturdy or heavy synth armor.
The synth eradicator is the strongest variant of synth. Boasting strong weapons and armor, they are on par with Brotherhood knights. Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4 Template:Stats creature FO4
- ArcJet Systems (during Call to Arms)
- Boston mayoral shelter
- C.I.T. ruins
- Federal surveillance center K-21B
- Fort Hagen (during Reunions)
- Mahkra Fishpacking
- Malden Center
- Mass Fusion building (after Mass Fusion)
- Sandy Coves Convalescent Home
- The Institute
- The Switchboard (during Tradecraft)
- Ticonderoga (during Operation Ticonderoga)
- University Point
- Warren Theater
- Amelia Stockton
- Brooks (L7-92)
- Captain Avery
- Curie (after Emergent Behavior; originally G5-19)
- Paladin Danse (M7-97)
- Gabriel (B5-92)
- Glory (G7-81)
- Jenny (K1-98)
- Magnolia (possibly C2-41)
- Mayor McDonough (M7-62)
- Nick Valentine
- Roger Warwick
- Shaun (S9-23)
- Sturges - based on game files, no in-game dialogue indicators
- High Confessor Tektus (after Reformation)
- In Fallout 3, the synths are known as "androids." Records on Father's terminal give an explanation for the name change.
- After a synth's destruction, one can observe their eyes still moving around, despite having been defeated. This seems to stop after decapitation.
- Synth models as early as Nick Valentine and DiMA can smell.
- Gen 1 and 2 synths are affected by the Troubleshooter's legendary prefix, but Gen 3 synths are affected by the Assassin's prefix.
Synths appear in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. The two synths encountered in Fallout 3, Armitage and Harkness, were ostensibly Generation 3 synths, and Generation 1 and 2 synths were not introduced until Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes编辑
- Synths share many similarities with the terminators from the Terminator film franchise. One is that the Generation 1 synths are nothing more than endoskeletons that loosely resemble a human skeleton, just like the majority of terminators created by SkyNet. The Generation 2 synths differ in that they possess artificial skin like the T-600 terminators shown in Terminator Salvation. The Generation 3 synths were designed to look exactly like human beings so that they can infiltrate human settlements undetected, which is the exact purpose of the T-800 infiltrator seen in every Terminator film. Sometimes when in combat with Gen 1 and Gen 2 synths, they will say to the player character "You must be terminated." Finally, the biggest similarity is that both the Fallout and Terminator franchises depict a post-apocalyptic America destroyed by nuclear war.
- The Generation 3 synths are quite similar to the Replicants from Blade Runner, based on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, in that they are synthetic humans genetically engineered entirely out of organic substances and are virtually indistinguishable from real human beings. The author, Philip K. Dick explored ideas of different types of conscious beings as equal with humanity, and the human reaction to these rival sentient beings. This is one of many Blade Runner references throughout the game. In fact, the surname "Deckard," if used in some way as part of the player character's name, is one of the names that Codsworth is capable of saying. This is a reference to Rick Deckard from the film. In addition, the test required to enter Covenant measures psychological response to random questions, very similar to the Voight-Kampff test that Blade Runners give suspected Replicants.
- The hunting of rogue synths somewhat references the movie Artificial Intelligence. The movie depicts a futuristic America where androids are used as servants for various jobs, but they commonly gain self-awareness and run away only to be hunted down and destroyed.
- The exact distinction between Gen 1 and Gen 2 synths is a little vague. In the games files, there are three types of non Generation 3 synths, not two. Some are unambiguously Gen 1 synths and spawn with a completely exposed mechanical skeleton and typically do not use armor, as seen in Kellogg's memories during Dangerous Minds. On the other hand, some are unambiguously Gen 2 synths and have intact "skin" which can only be damaged by crippling their limbs, expressive faces, and typically wear clothes, such as the synth requisition officer. In between these are synths with rigid plastic skin, which typically spawn at least partially damaged and can be blasted off by the player character even without crippling limbs, similar to other robots. The last group could represent Gen 2's that have begun to decay, but given the more rigid appearance of their skin, they appear to be an earlier model. It could be that Gen 1 synths may have been built with plastic casings that often degraded over time and some units simply have none left.
- Gen 2 synths bear similarities to the NS-5 robots from the film I, Robot.
- Synths may be based on Star Trek's Androids. Both have human variants such as Data and Gen-3 Synths. There is controversy on what to call them, androids or synths, synths being short for synthetic humans. Both have controversy as to whether they are people or not, as Data, at one point, was threatened to be dissected and used to create more, saying he is not a person. Synths have the Railroad and East Coast Brotherhood of Steel, and they both have someone they call Father, for Data it is the scientist who created him and Lore. For the synths, it is Shaun, who was essential in creating 3rd Gens.
Synths in Fallout 3编辑
Synths in Fallout 4编辑