The Secret of Cabot House is a side quest in Fallout 4.
- If the player character is high leveled, then after siding with Lorenzo in the asylum it may be necessary to protect him on his way back to Cabot House. Lorenzo is not marked as essential and during his trip home he could be killed by high level enemies (the Forged for example). If that happens, when the player character arrives at Cabot House they will find only dialogue about Lorenzo already being dead available.
- If one has a follower who doesn't like wanton violence, they can dismiss them before killing the rest of the Cabot family to gain immortality with no repercussions with followers.
- If one has a follower who doesn't like unneeded deaths or violence (Curie, for example), one can choose to kill Lorenzo inside the machine, then open the door afterwards. The follower will dislike the Sole Survivor killing him, then subsequently like opening the door.
- Alternatively if one has a follower who doesn't like unneeded violence, they can open the door, then simply shoot Lorenzo. This allows one to gain affinity without losing any.
- Starting this quest is the only way to gain access to the rooms containing the Charisma bobblehead and issue #1 of the Massachusetts Surgical Journal. The bobblehead is located in Jack Cabot's office and the skill book is on a cupboard in Lorenzo's room.
- When storming the asylum with Jack, there is a spot in the abandoned wing where one must jump down. If Jack just stands there and won't jump, one can push him off by walking into him. Afterwards, he should continue normally.
- Has platform::PC Jack Cabot can get stuck in the administration lobby if you proceed to insane asylum section before killing all the raiders. If you make it to the elevator without Jack, you're stuck in this part of the facility. Alternatively, you can get out of it using jetpack or the tcl console command.[verification overdue]
- Has platform::Playstation 4 Upon activating the button to free Lorenzo, the door to his cell may not open. There are two solutions, either allow Lorenzo to blast the door open himself, or sit in the chair in the corner of the room and use the wait function, which will spawn Lorenzo outside of his cell.[verification overdue]
- Has platform::PC Jack Cabot sometimes spawns on the other side of the unpickable door leading to Lorenzo in the basement, preventing the quest from proceeding. This happens after following Jack inside the asylum, then leaving the building with loot and teleporting away. Upon returning Jack is on the other side of the unpickable door. No way to continue or return. [已核實]
- Has platform::PC It can be fixed by forcing the door to open (with console command "unlock") and when Jack gets back to the player, then closing the door (with console command "lock"). Other consoles may need a previous load [已核實]
- Has platform::PC Completing the quest in Jack's favor may incorrectly display the quest completion text in the Pip-Boy as if you helped Lorenzo. This does not seem to affect earning the artifact gun reward.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC When you reach Jack's office in the asylum and find Edward, the quest marker may appear on Edward but it is actually Jack you must talk to in order to continue. [已核實]
- Has platform::PC When you reach Jack's office and Edward is just a marker, Jack will freeze kneeing at it. Open Console and enter "prid 47ec1" after that "moveto player." Edward appears besides the player and Jack starts the dialogue.
- Has platform::PC Items within Cabot House respawn at least twice during the mission.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC Sometimes the game will fail to spawn Edward and Jack will become unresponsive once reaching his office. [已核實]
- Has platform::PC Entering setstage MS09 750 into the console will spawn Edward, and Jack will finally respond, allowing the player to progress the quest.
- Has platform::PC After siding with Jack and killing Lorenzo, the last step is to "Talk to Jack Cabot about the artifact." Attempting to talk to Jack, however, will not start the necessary speech check to end the quest. Jack will only offer small talk such as "Oh, it's you" therefore leaving the quest indefinitely unfinished. [已核實]
- Has platform::PC This can be fixed by entering the console command setstage MS09MiscJackReward 100, and provides the artifact reward.
- Has platform::Playstation 4 Jack will somehow turn hostile if he sees the player lockpicks a "Master" safe in the basement of his house, despite the safe having no red text and all items in the house have no "Steal" option.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC When siding with Lorenzo Cabot, the robot guards outside of Cabot House will come inside and attack the player once the other members of the family become hostile. If they are attacked and destroyed, Lorenzo will become hostile as well. At this point, the quest cannot be completed since Lorenzo is still considered the next step even after being killed. However, if the player does not attack the robots, leaving Lorenzo, Deegan, and a potential companion to destroy them, the quest will continue as normal.[已核實]
- Has platform::Playstation 4 If the player runs ahead, Jack may not follow and will not spawn when taking the elevator down to Lorenzo's cell. This can be fixed by using the "wait" command for 24 hours and then taking the elevator down again; Jack should spawn with the player this time.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC Upon completing the asylum quest by releasing Lorenzo then killing him, the quest might become stuck after waiting the in-game week for Jack Cabot to finish his research. The marker will stay in its place, but Jack will not speak to you to finish the mission.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC If the player follows Jack on foot to the asylum and makes Jack hostile en route by attacking or pickpocketing him, Jack will attack the player and continuously respawn as hostile, because Jack is essential at this state in the quest. The player can advance to the asylum and hide behind Jack, slowly tracking Jack as he walks through the asylum until Jack disappears in front of the elevator to the basement, breaking the quest.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC Even after Lorenzo Cabot is killed, engaging a dialogue conversation with Jack is impossible as he becomes hostile and it makes it impossible to complete the quest, especially since he cannot be killed at all no matter what.[已核實]
- Has platform::PC The Berserk Raiders may manage to 'slam' Jack Cabot to the ground, causing him to get stuck there and be unable to move or unlock the door in the basement. Using the console, this can be reset by selecting Jack Cabot and typing first disable then enable.[verification overdue]
- Has platform::PC On the way to get Jack Cabot to his office, he may glitch next to the far left door, and even when attempting to force him to move, he will not budge, making the quest unable to continue no matter what. [已核實]
- Has platform::PC After killing Lorenzo and returning to Jack after more than a week, Jack may be not interacted with at all and therefore will not grant the player character the artifact gun. Sometimes he can be interacted with, but he will not talk about the gun and his father.[verification overdue]