|“||We have cities of our own, but nothing compared to Vegas. Finally, my legion will have its Rome.||”|
爱德华·萨隆 于2226年降生于埋骨之地 ，作为一名NCR的公民。当爱德华两岁时，他和母亲目睹了强盗将其父杀害的全过程，这对母子随即不得不逃离此处。2231年，这个只有五岁的男孩同其母逃到了天启追随者的避难所，并最终加入了该组织。 在该组织，爱德华得到了免费的教育，并成为一名精通人类学和语言学的追随者（文士）。 虽然爱德华既聪明又富有魅力，但过于自恋而又脾气暴躁的他并不受同龄人的欢迎。爱德华本人则根本不喜欢他当年迫于生计而加入的天启追随者，他总是在私底下认为，他们的想法太过于天真。 .
2246年，20岁的爱德华跟随一名追随者比尔·卡尔霍恩和其他七名同伴前往东方学习当地部落的语言。爱德华被介绍给约书亚·汉格拉姆，后者是一个来自新迦南的传教士。他们所进行的向东方地区——曾被称为“亚利桑那”——的旅程，后来成了九人远征的一部分。  由于无法忍受当地部落恶劣的居住条件，爱德华极端蔑视那些部落野人，认为他们不仅野蛮、卑劣，而且放荡。在这次远征途中，远征队发现了一个有关古罗马书籍的藏匿处。虽然爱德华在此之前已经对于罗马帝国有了大略的了解，而这些书籍则更加详实而准确的补充了那些规则和细节。第一次阅读罗马帝国的衰落和败亡史，以及尤里乌斯·凯撒（正是被刺杀的那位）的Commentarii（拉丁语“记录”）、其个人传记、其军事征服史，彻底改变了爱德华·萨隆的人生，并成为了他宏伟征服计划的开端。
在2247年的某一天, 萨隆、格拉汉姆、卡尔霍恩和其他人突然成了黑脚部落的人质。虽然萨隆认为这些部落人想用他们来换取赎金，但格拉汉姆随后便确认了自己在翻译“部落关系和政权（党）”的相关方面时产生了错误。这时，黑脚部落正同时与周围的七个部落交战，寡不敌众，爱德华认为他们被歼灭只是时间上早晚的事。由于不愿跟随他们一起走向死亡，在第一次见识过这些部落人贫乏的常识后，萨隆选择（独自违背了他其余同伴们的意愿）运用自己的知识和经验来训练这些部落人排练作战战术、丰富军事常识。 爱德华向他们展示如何正确操作并维护枪支，穿插后疏散为班、组的步兵分队战术运用，以及如何使用爆炸物攻击敌人、再迂回向其防线薄弱处发动猛攻，将其分而治之（分割与包围）。 爱德华的能力和经验给黑脚部落留下了深刻的印象，他将他们的战斗力迅速提升到了一个新的高度，并被他们奉为领袖。 从此之后，爱德华·萨隆便消失了。取而代之的，则是军团的领袖——凯撒。 凯撒给整個部落带来了“全面战争”的概念。萨隆深知，这些部落虽然经常以散兵游勇的方式互相争战，但对他来说，这不过是在“玩打仗”，having never seen warfare at its most destructive and barbaric state. 他們首先击溃最弱小的敌人and enslaved many of the able-bodied survivors; but Sallow had the rest, 不分老幼处死整个部落, leaving their remains piled high. When Sallow surrounded the next of the Blackfoot tribe's foes, they refused to surrender. Sallow brought an emissary of the tribe back to witness the fate of the first tribe. The tribe surrendered, rather than suffer the same fate. 全面战争的概念是全新而恐怖的，面对凯撒的战略这些部落在军团所具有的的远见卓识和战术面前毫无招架之力。
约书亚·汉格拉姆率先向凯撒表示臣服，并成为了其左右手。而比尔·卡尔霍恩则被逐回天启追随者，好让该组织了解这里发生的一切。至于其他六名追随者，则按照凯撒的命令，被他斩首示众。 The newly-christened Caesar formed his Legion out of 那些为了免于被毁灭而选择投降的部落。He used the Commentarii as a blueprint―after all, which illiterate tribal would know that he was not the original Caesar, and his "Rome" was merely a copy of a civilization long gone? 凯撒选择按照古罗马帝国的模式来创造并扩建他的军团，因他个人认为，两者不仅存在相似之处，且罗马帝国的统治模式显然更有利于在后启示录世界中维持军团的现状。在意识形态方面，罗马帝国也强烈呼吁要同化那些被征服的地区。与之相对应的，不断地打压和消除各个部落独特的纹身和风俗便成了军团维持意识形态统一的长期策略。凯撒打算通过消除他們个人身份的标志，并将单一、独特的军团文化——除了选择向團体服从，个体本身没有任何价值的核心理念灌输给他们。
The Republic has the dubious distinction of being recognized by Caesar as a worthy adversary. He views his campaign against NCR as similar to that of his namesake Julius Caesar who eventually seized power for himself after crossing the river Rubicon and capturing Rome; going on to take control of the Republic after years of campaigning against the tribes of Gaul more than two thousand years earlier. Likewise, the new Caesar has campaigned against the myriad tribes of the East and will now cross the Colorado river and begin his unstoppable conquest of the West and the NCR.
After succeeding in destroying one of their major fortifications, Fort Aradesh, 在馬爾佩斯特使的帶領下，為了奪取戰略要地以及跨越科羅拉多河，軍團的行軍對上了在胡佛大壩的新加州共和國駐軍。就在這場名為第一次胡佛大壩之戰的戰事中，馬爾佩斯特使起初佔了上風，將NCR的守軍擊退，並帶領著他的部隊越過大壩。由包含第一偵查軍團以及NCR遊騎兵的領導軍力，執行了向西跨越至巨石城的戰術徹退，過程中運用精準地槍法射殺了數位軍團士官。特使在無力改變作戰策略以發覺前方的設局下，命令軍團士兵強行進攻遊騎兵。此刻，特使並不知道他們已中了NCR埋在撤退路線與巨石城本身下方的C4炸藥陷阱。當軍團勢力進入城市，NCR隨即引爆炸藥，造成非常嚴重的傷亡數，癱瘓了軍團的攻勢。NCR部隊接著進行反擊作佔，擊退軍團並將他們的勢力推回大壩以東。凱薩對於特使的失敗感到憤怒，並打算以儆效尤。凱薩的禁衛軍以瀝青淋在特使身上並將其點燃，將他推下大峽谷深處。
在2281年，Caesar makes his camp at Fortification Hill, poised to take the Dam and subsequently New Vegas as his new capital. Caesar is playing his cards more cautiously this time, and will not give the order for Lanius to attack the Dam until he can unearth the contents of the vault sealed beneath his base in the Mojave. Caesar also needs to neutralize House, attempt to forge an alliance with the Boomers and the White Glove Society, destroy the Mojave Brotherhood of Steel, deal with his brain tumor and attempt to assassinate President Kimball.
Aside from military defeat, Caesar's greatest fear is being exposed as a fraud. 大部分军团成员，包括一些凯撒心腹，都渾然不知軍團的文化是照抄古羅馬書籍 - 他們认为凯撒要求的制度都是战神本人亲自要求的。Those who claim otherwise are viewed as ultimate blasphemes. While some of the newly captured slaves are skeptical, they don't tend to be vocal about it, 他們的孩子被從父母身邊帶走，並交由軍團的女祭司看管。 Secretly, Caesar still doesn't feel like a real Emperor of Rome - with his loose nation of savages, he still thinks of himself as merely a barbaric king of the Gauls. By seizing New Vegas, Caesar felt that he would finally be able to elevate his Legion into a legitimate nation by giving it its own "Rome" - transforming them from a nomadic army into a true empire; a militaristic, patriarchal, imperialist, autocratic, culturally homogeneous empire whose ruler holds undisputed power - a "Pax Romana" which would prevent humanity from ever fracturing itself again. And in the NCR he found his Carthage.
He regards the NCR as only an extension of the corruption that existed during the Old World and that it is ultimately doomed to repeat the same mistakes. He sees in it similar attributes associated with the Roman Republic before Julius Caesar seized power; extensive bureaucracy, corruption, senatorial infighting and filled with a people driven solely by greed and personal gain. It exists as the antithesis to the Legion and as a catalyst for change that only a confrontation with it can bring; a clash he sees as an inevitable product of Hegelian dialectics. The conflict is a vital one, not only for the future of his Legion strategically, but also philosophically; the NCR is the first of his enemies to which he is truly ideologically opposed and the first that can truly test the Strength of his Legion, as well as his philosophy.
In his view, the NCR does not have a long-term solution to the problems of the Wasteland - the bombs had reset humanity's progress and he believed the time had come to rebuild it into something new. He argues that NCR is weakened by its democracy, and that it was at its strongest when under the dominating rule of its second president - Tandi - whose popularity was such she remained leader of the NCR for most of her lifetime as the senate would never dare oppose her. He was taught to venerate her as a child and observes that she was ultimately more of a Queen than an elected official and that it is similar centralized power that a new civilization needs.
He also regards self-sacrifice as a necesary part to rebuild civilization, as evidenced by the fact that he refuses the very notion of using the Securitrons hidden inside the bunker underneath his camp. He believes that the Legion soldiers would grow complacent and lazy with robots to fight for them.
Interactions with the player character编辑
- Render Unto Caesar: From here on out, the player can choose to work for Caesar and thus the Legion.
- Et Tumor, Brute?: Caesar has a lethal brain tumor that he desperately needs fixed.
- The House Always Wins, Wild Card: You and What Army?: When the player comes to The Fort, Caesar believes he has another pawn to use. He orders the Courier to go to the underground weather monitoring station and destroy the Securitron vault. When Mr. House or Yes Man contacts you from within the bunker and tells the Courier to activate all the Securitrons, the player can. The resultant shaking of the ground fools Caesar into thinking you destroyed whatever was there.
- Return to Sender: If Caesar has been killed, the player can complete the quest without Chief Hanlon killing himself.
- I Forgot to Remember to Forget: If Caesar is killed, 2 companion points are gained, which helps gain access to the Craig Boone's personal quest.
|Caesar's armor||Displacer glove||Platinum Chip (If Benny survives the confrontation at the Tops)||Legion ear|
If you manage to kill Caesar the effects on the game are fairly minor, (although the Legion ending is massively changed), due to the fact that Caesar, as the leader of the Legion, no longer directly participates in combat.
- Julie Farkas exclaims "So, the great Caesar is dead ..." and goes on saying that she doubts that it will have much effect on the imminent attack.
- If you talk to Mr. House about killing Caesar before he dies, Mr. House will reply that "[He] does not want you to touch one hair on that man's head, assuming you can find one." He says that Caesar provides a good distraction for the NCR.
- If you kill Caesar while working with Mr. House on the various "The House Always Wins" quests, you can return to Mr. House and tell him that Caesar is dead. Mr. House simply notes that this has a "minimal" impact on the battle for Hoover Dam, and offers no reward or punishment for the action.
- If you kill Caesar, Mr. New Vegas will say "it is still unknown how the assassin managed to evade security", even if you killed Caesar in a frontal assault on The Fort (i.e., didn't evade security).
- If Caesar is killed with Boone as a companion, Boone will smugly say "Thumbs down, you son of a bitch!", a reference to the gesture that is commonly thought to have called for the execution of a failed gladiator in ancient Rome, interestingly though, thumb inside the fist actually meant "mercy" or "weapons down". He will subsequently have further dialogue options when selecting the "Talk" option. He will also talk about the death of Caesar having little effect on the attack on Hoover Dam, but admits, on prompting from the Courier, that he still enjoyed it immensely. You will also gain two points to use toward Boone's quest I Forgot to Remember to Forget.
- There is a speech dialogue, if speaking with the Legate at the end of the game, stating "So, Caesar giving orders from beyond the grave?" - an indication that Mr. House is right, and Caesar's death was no more than a minimal setback. However, House will also note that Lanius is a poor leader compared to Caesar, and predicts that within a year of his death the Legion will be torn apart by infighting.
- Caleb McCaffery greets you with "All hail the slayer of Caesar!"
- Marcus remarks that the Legion follow Caesar, not Caesar's ideals, and that when Caesar dies the Legion will fall apart—though perhaps not immediately.
- Most NCR troopers will say: "Wish I could have been there to see Caesar die. What an asshole."
- Chairmen at the Tops will state "That's the guy/gal who killed Caesar!"
- Francine Garret states "here's one on the house for taking down Caesar, serves him right for treating women like livestock," and gives you a free bottle of liquor.
- James Garret will also give you a free bottle of liquor, like his sister.
- Some travelers on the Strip will comment, "Now that you've killed that Caesar bastard, the Strip's really going to bloom."
- White Gloves in the Ultra-Luxe will comment, "I hear you killed Caesar, is it true, that he wore a toupee?
- If Caesar is killed, Sergeant McCredie at Camp Golf will compliment the Courier on a great job, and Mags will say "I hear Caesar's dead, and we have you to thank for it...nice work."
- In Honest Hearts you are able to tell Joshua Graham that you saw Caesar die. He will not react much to the news but he will admit that he thought he would die before Caesar. He also remarks that Caesar's death is good news for the Mojave, and states that without Caesar's leadership the Legion will eventually fall apart. However, you cannot do the reverse, as killing the Legion's former No. 2 man (or even leaving him alive) brings no dialogue options with Caesar. (He will still mention Caesar in the final battle against the White Legs)
- If the player speaks to Lily, she will remark that Leo thinks there will be more people to chop up and that the player should be careful.
- At the end of Lonesome Road if you speak to Ulysses after the epilogue you can tell him that you have killed Caesar, he isn't angry despite his former allegiance to the Legion, he states that the east may fall apart in time but that it's too soon to tell what will happen, but he states that unless you do the same to Lanius he won't thank you.
- Caesar's ailment can be inquired about if your Medicine skill is high enough, but sometimes the pain will bother him enough that he will cut the conversation and lie down. You can talk to him, mentioning that you believe something is wrong, after which he will lie back down and warn you not to speak to him again until the following day. If you ignore him and speak to him again, he will call on his Praetorians and they will attack you.
- Members of the Legion pronounce Caesar's name /ˈkaizar/, the classical Latin way, emphasizing the diphthong. Legionaries who knew him before the Legion, as well as most other wastelanders, pronounce it as the Anglicized /ˈsiːzər/.
- Caesar is one of the characters that the player must eat in order to earn the Meat of Champions perk.
- It is possible to complete Legion quests even if you are Vilified by them upon entering The Strip. But this is a one time offer where you are granted the Mark of Caesar.
- Caesar holds some level of respect for Aaron Kimball, calling him "a man of potential". He believes that Kimball would have been more powerful and had more control over the NCR if he had seized power, instead of being elected.
- If you complete Restoring Hope or I Put a Spell on You (on the NCR side), Caesar will mention how you have been so much trouble for the Legion. This also happens by completing Birds of a Feather, killing Dead Sea (can be done with or without completing Restoring Hope), breaking the alliance with the Khans in Oh My Papa, completing How Little We Know in Cachino's favor, or killing Vulpes Inculta.
- He will turn hostile if you refuse to work for him twice.
- Caesar claims to be a son of Mars. The historical Julius Caesar claimed to be descended from the goddess Venus.
- If you pickpocket Caesar while he sees you, he will automatically turn hostile (his inventory doesn't open).
- "I was taught it was my responsibility to bring the torch of knowledge to the wastes. I may have taken the torch part more literally than they intended."
- "As an anthropologist and linguist, my assignment was to learn the dialects of the Grand Canyon tribes. What a fucking waste of time!"
- "I showed them total warfare. Like I said, there's a lot you can learn from old books."
- "In hoc signo taurus vinces." -In this sign, you, the bull, will win.
- "Thesis and antithesis. The Colorado River is my Rubicon. The NCR council will be eradicated, but the new synthesis will change the Legion as well... from a basically nomadic army to a standing military force that protects its citizens, and the power of its dictator."
Behind the scenes编辑
- John Gonzalez wrote Caesar and J.E. Sawyer asked for Caesar to present his rationale in the framework of his interpretation of Hegelian dialectics.
- Caesar possesses a number of parallels to his historical counterpart. For example, the historical Caesar actually suffered from a condition similar to the one depicted in-game. He had headaches, blackouts, and sometimes even seizures. In terms of appearance, Caesar is balding and has an Aquiline nose, a sign of nobility in ancient Rome. One thing of note is that Caesar is 55 years old in 2281, and the historical Julius Caesar was assassinated at the age of 56 on March 15, 44 B.C.
- Metzger, the leader of the Slavers Guild from the Den, was initially named Caesar.
- Although Caesar claims to be the son of Mars, Julius Caesar claimed to be a descendant of the goddess Venus.
- In a quote, Caesar refers to the Rubicon River, which the real Julius Caesar actually crossed in 49 B.C., triggering the Roman Civil Wars.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dialogue with Joshua Graham in Honest Hearts
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide, collector's edition
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas
- ↑ so who did the writing for Caesar in New Vegas, and who decided he should give an overview of Hegelian dialectics? Formspring