Background[edit | edit source]
The captain of a Yangtze-class submarine stranded in the harbor is a soft-spoken and surprisingly welcoming man, especially towards the Sole Survivor, an American. The guilt over nuking the Commonwealth using the missiles on board his submarine changed him. He had been isolated after his Yangtze-31 struck a mine not long after the Great War, the radiation from the damaged reactor turning the captain and his crew into ghouls.
For two centuries, he eked out an existence scavenging what he could from the destroyed city and fighting off raiders, gathering intelligence and information that would, one day, help him repair the vessel and return it to Zhongguo, his home. There, he will rebuild or die. Whatever his fate, he wants to see his home one last time. Trouble is, the Forged and other raider gangs might be a little too much to tackle for the ancient ghoul - submariner or not. His only companions during these two centuries were his crewmates. Unlike their captain, they have succumbed to radiation poisoning and turned feral. Zao couldn't bring himself to put them out of their misery.
Zao recalls firing his ship's nuclear salvo as ordered, and it is clear that he is responsible for the nuclear detonations specifically in the Commonwealth. He reflects on his actions with guilt, regretting the destruction he caused. It is possible that one of the nuclear warheads fired from his submarine was the one that created the Glowing Sea. He claims that the city was already ruined when he arrived at the port.
He seems to consider the liberation of Anchorage "a joke." He is clearly aware the war is over, but he still holds traditional values of the old world. He refers to the Sole Survivor as "capitalist" and "American," especially if they attempt to negotiate a higher reward for providing assistance.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Here There Be Monsters: The Sole Survivor can help Zao repair the Yangtze submarine.
Effects of player's actions[edit | edit source]
- Should the Sole Survivor call Zao "commie," they will demand that they die for destroying their country and immediately turn hostile.
- Should one help him repair the Yangtze reactor, he provides three homing beacons for small tactical nukes fired from the Yangtze as a reward, remarking that "[he does] not want to bring the fire home." Zao will also give the player character his sword, a unique weapon, if all three Charisma checks are passed.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Zao appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Zao is the first human character from pre-War China with whom it is possible to converse in the Fallout series.
- 'Zao' may be a misspelling of the common Chinese surname 'Zhao'（赵）, since the surname 'Zao' indeed exists, but is very uncommon in China. According to zupulu.com, his surname may be 造, 棗, 皂, 隞, 遭, 灶 or 早 in Chinese.
- 'Zao' may also be referring to the Chinese character for "rotten" or "horrible"（糟）since he is now a ghoul.
- He often mixes Chinese with English in his speech. Despite the Chinese words being fairly decently pronounced, albeit not with a very clear, typical northern Chinese accent, Zao's lines in Mandarin include some fairly awkward grammar and syntax, especially in the way he mixes Chinese and English, which is entirely arbitrary and unlike how real-life Chinese-English bilingual people mix them. Words used include:
- Yangtze = 扬子
- He ping = 和平, Peace.
- Jiang Shi = 僵尸, Zombie/Ghoul.
- Qian ting = 潜艇, Submarine.
- Wei xian = 危险, Danger.
- Gu shi = 故事, Story.
- Bao Wu = 宝物, Treasure.
- Shi de = 是的, Yes.
- Tong ku = 痛苦, Pain and suffering.
- Xing yun = 幸运, Luck/Fortune.
- Bu xing = 不幸, Misfortune.
- Xie xie = 谢谢, Thanks.
- Zhongguo = 中国, China.
- Jia = 家, Home.
- Zu guo = 祖国, Motherland.
- Xian jin = 现金, Cash.
- Yi han = 遗憾, Regret.
- Jian = 剑, Sword.
- Gong zuo = 工作, Work.
- You xiu = 优秀, Excellent/Outstanding.
- Bei = 悲, Sadness (however, Bei is usually associated with other adjectives instead of on its own, for example, Bei Ai - 悲哀', lit. sorrowful)
- Jia ren = 家人, Family member.
- Jue wang = 绝望, Despair.
- Zha dan = 炸弹, Bomb.
- Xiao xin = 小心, Be careful.
- Si wang = 死亡, Death.
- Bao zha = 爆炸, Explosion.
- Zhu, zi ben jia, qu si ba! = 猪，资本家，去死吧, Pig, capitalist, go to hell!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Sole Survivor: "Where are you going to get that?"
Zao: " "
- The Sole Survivor: "Have you been here for 200 years?"
Zao: " "
- [clarification needed]Zao: "Fushe! You say... radiation. From damaged reactor. Turn me into this guai wu. My crew... gone. I cannot think on their fate."
- The Sole Survivor: "Who are you?"
Zao: " "
- The Sole Survivor: "Why would you trust me, a stranger?"
Zao: " "
- The Sole Survivor: "What will you do with the submarine once it's fixed?"
Zao: " "
- The Sole Survivor: "You can go to Hell. You're part of the enemy that destroyed my country."
Zao: " "
- The Sole Survivor: "Why don't you get it?"
Zao: "Ah... Because I have different task. While you are getting warhead? I will prepare the reactor. But now I must... warn you. There is danger. Wei xian! Old crew... still down there. Not okay like their captain. Worse. They do not harm me. But they will kill you! I... I cannot kill them. Still, they are my crew. My family. Jia ren, all of us. But you must do what you must do."
- The Sole Survivor: "What will you do there?"
Zao: " "
- The Sole Survivor: "Nah. No sweat. The radiation did give me super powers, though. X-Ray vision. Love the leopard g-string."
Zao: " "
- (After "扬子江", Yangtze River，commonly known in China as "长江" (Changjiang, "the long river")