Born in 2247, Yearling is young, friendly, and the polar opposite of Head Scribe Rothchild. She is very dedicated and tends to be a bit shy. A member of the Order of the Quill, she has recently been transferred to a mission to gather pre-War knowledge from the wasteland. To this end, she and her team set up a forward operating center out of the Arlington Library, driving its raider occupiers back into the building. Although she has access to the card catalogs she lacks access to the main archives, she is unable to reach the computer due to the building's previous occupiers.
Naturally as a scribe, Yearling highly values the acquisition of knowledge. She will express surprise that someone would come to the library to look for something as simple as ink. Although one would assume that she volunteered to be posted at the library, it is possible she was sent out on this mission to remove her dissenting views; Scribe Scribe Bigsley implies as such when conversed with.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Effects of player's actionsEdit
She will completely ignore the Wanderer if they insult the Brotherhood, and will order them to leave the library.
- "The collected knowledge of a lost age is worth far more than any weapon. Do not underestimate the power of the written word."
- "If nothing else, I admire your commitment to your chosen focus. But, to the point: My task here is to collect the written works of those who came before in order to supplement the Brotherhood archives. Although most of the pre-war books have been destroyed, there are a few that have survived. But finding a book in the ruins is... difficult. So, return here with any books that you find and I will reward you for them. With money. Because that's what you like."
- "Good. My task here is to collect the written works of those who came before in order to supplement the Brotherhood Archives at the Citadel. Although most of the pre-war books have been destroyed, there are a few that have survived. But finding a book in these ruins is... difficult. I could have a million Initiates to comb the ruins, and I'd still never come close to recovering every book that remains undamaged."
Scribe Yearling appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Yearling's name and her job of collecting books may be a reference to Yearling Books, an imprint of the publishing company Random House.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.95: "Scribe Yearling
A 30-year-old scribe assigned to the Archives, Scribe Yearling has been transferred to a mission to gather prewar knowledge from the Wasteland. She is young, friendly, and the polar opposite of Scribe Rothchild. She's very dedicated and tends to be a bit shy. When you first meet her, she is in this building but may move to the Citadel; check there if you can't find her."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- ↑ The Lone Wanderer: "What do you do in this library?"
Yearling: "We have set up this area as a forward operations center for our project. The books we collect can be recorded with the computer systems here. We then ship them under escort back to the Citadel for transcribing into the archives there."
- ↑ The Lone Wanderer: "Can you help me access the library's archives?"
Yearling: "The front desk computer has access to the card catalogs, but it appears that it's lost the connection to the main archives. Here's the password. Now, you might be able to find the central computer further in there, but I'm afraid you'll have to do that without me. I'm a scholar, not a fighter."
- ↑ The Lone Wanderer: "I'm searching for records from the library."
Yearling: "It seems that we have similar goals in mind. It's rare to meet someone who has proper priorities. I am Senior Scribe Yearling, Order of the Word. I have a proposal for you if you are interested."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Lone Wanderer: "Why are you collecting books?"
Yearling: "Books represent the collected knowledge of the world before. Everything from a child's story book to a detailed technical guide has value. By assembling and recording this knowledge, we scribes can analyze it and use it to further the goals of the Brotherhood. Whatever our Elder decides that those goals are, that is."
The Lone Wanderer: "Wait... Is there a problem with your Elder?"
Yearling: "It is not my place to criticize Elder Lyons. All I will say to an outsider is that he is not a traditionalist. That is all."
The Lone Wanderer: "I see. Thanks."
- ↑ The Lone Wanderer: "I'm looking for some ink. I was told it might be here in the library."
Yearling: "Hmmm, surprised anyone would care about that old stuff. I think there may be some in the old restoration laboratory a few flights up. Just watch yourself up there, I think it may be infested with rats and roaches."
- ↑ The Lone Wanderer: "I'm interested. Continue..."
Bigsley: " "
- ↑ Scribe Jameson mention Yearling as belonging to the Order of the Quill
- ↑ In the French version of the game, Yearling introduces herself as a senior scribe of the Order of the Quill