|This is an overview article which contains background information and cross-game comparisons. For game-specific information and stats, see the articles linked on the right.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Named by descendants of those held in Chinese internment camps before the Great War, yao guai are mutated American black bears and one of the more vicious creatures of the wasteland, sporting razor sharp claws and teeth, and a nasty temperament.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Yao guai are large, mutated ursines that are descended from the bears that lived across America before the Great War. They are able to reproduce, as evidenced by the presence of cubs and some have extended lifespans, such as the pre-War circus bear, Ruzka. Wild yao guai will attack nearly any other animals or people they encounter, including deathclaws. Despite this, yao guai exhibit a gentle, familial bond toward one another when found together and can even be domesticated.
Yao guai may be hunted for their meat and hides. Yao guai may be prepared into ribs and roasts. Yao guai remains may be kept as trophies, trinkets or used as materials to make exotic weapons, such as Bear arm or She's Embrace.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Yao guai[edit | edit source]
A common adult yao guai.
Yao guai cub[edit | edit source]
A younger specimen of the mutant bear.
Giant yao guai[edit | edit source]
Larger versions of yao guai.
Stunted yao guai[edit | edit source]
Shaggy yao guai[edit | edit source]
Scorched yao guai[edit | edit source]
Unique yao guai[edit | edit source]
|Scavenger's yao guai||A tamed variant of yao guai owned by scavengers, utilized for protection and companionship.|
|Ruzka||A former circus bear found in her lair at Point Lookout.|
|Ghost of She||A unique yao guai that can be found in Zion Canyon. She is fought under the effects of hallucinations induced by sacred datura root tea during Rite of Passage and appears to be a giant yao guai with a flaming body as well as the ability to create several copies of herself.|
|Fluffy||Fluffy, a bear that was experimented on before the Great War by Dr. Frank.|
|Son of Fluffy||He is the child of Fluffy. He can be encountered during Unsolved: Tracking Terror, introduced in the Fallout 76 update Wild Appalachia|
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- In Mandarin, yāo guài (妖怪) translates as "monster" or "demon." In Chinese mythology, "yao guai" are usually physical manifestations of the spirits of mistreated animals or fallen divine animals.
- The black bear from which the yao guai mutated is the official state mammal of West Virginia.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 3 loading screens: "Yao Guai are fast, powerful predators, and are descended from the area's black bears."
- Quercus: "Oh, how wonderful! It's a real yao guai, descended from the American black bear. "[verification needed]
- Fallout 4 loading screens: "Originally named by the descendants of those held in Chinese internment camps before the Great War, the Yao Guai is a ferocious mutated bear."
- Tenpenny Tower terminal entries; exploration database, yao guai
- Scavengers' yao guai