The Riptide is a commissioned tug boat of the U.S. Navy.[Non-canon 1] The ship appears to have been towing a barge full of military equipment to an undetermined location up the Charles River.[Non-canon 1]
The vessel is accessible from a series of makeshift staircases from an overhead bridge. It is also possible to access the location by swimming up to the ship through the irradiated river. There are two beds in the cabin on the ship, one additional bed inside an opened shipping crate upon the barge, and a cooking station on the deck.
- Wasteland Survival Guide issue #1 - In the ship's main cabin on a table with a lantern and some jet.
- Mini nuke - In some rubble on the deck level of the tugboat, at the portside bow.
- Raider power armor - Randomly generated parts on one of the raiders.
- If the raiders at this location have not been dealt with before starting the quest Diamond City Blues, there is a chance that they will pick a fight with the Triggermen, Trish and Nelson Latimer, interrupting the quest.
- The ship is on one of the main bridges over the Charles River, and a direct route to Diamond City.
The wreck of the USS Riptide appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes
In the Art of Fallout 4, the wreck is depicted as a battleship washed up the Charles River.
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Rulebook p. 287: "This U.S. Navy tugboat was originally used by the local military to either ferry supplies along Boston’s river, or move ships as necessary through the waters. When the Great War started, it ended up wrecked between the raised roads of the Charles River Dam Bridge, a bascule bridge in The Fens. Since then, the U.S.S Riptide has become a haven for raiders who have made use of the floating cache of military equipment behind the boat to create a small, well-supplied camp from which they can launch raids of the surrounding area."