The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Public workshops function similar to the C.A.M.P. building system. In order to build at a public workshop, a Claim Workshop event Quest must be completed that requires the player character to clear enemies before claiming the workshop. A sum of 20-30 caps must also be invested.
Periodically, Defend Workshop events will trigger where the player character must defend the location from small waves of enemies. If the event is failed, a retake event is triggered and the area must be cleared of hostiles. The first Defend Event usually triggers within a few minutes of claiming the workshop. No reward is given if the player character fails to engage enemies during a Defend event.
Additionally, players can initiate an Attack on Workshop event and attempt to usurp ownership of a workshop from the current player.
If a player character opens a locked container or room in the location of a workshop owned by another player, it is considered an unprovoked attack and the player character will become wanted and have a bounty put on them. The bounty is for opening the lock whether anything is taken or not. Picking up loot that is not in a locked container has no bounty. The locked container can be a considerable distance from the workshop crafting table as long as it is within the named location.
Each public workshop comes with a number of site materials for building that can only be used within the claimed workshop. While in build mode, the workshop materials are displayed in green, while the player character's resources are displayed in white.
Each workshop area has mineral extractors available to build that will produce resources hourly for as long as the workshop is claimed and the player character is still on the server. Extractors must be connected to a power generator (or any other power source).
Extractors have a cap on how many items can be stored and must be checked and emptied regularly in order for them to continue producing resources. For instance, a water purifier rated at 12 per hour only stores 2. The water has to be removed every 10 minutes to get 12 per hour.
- Aluminum gives 25 resources per hour
- Concrete extractor gives 33 resources per hour
- Fertilizer extractor gives 33 resources per hour
- Junk extractor gives 25 resources per hour
- Poseidon Energy Plant WV-06: In addition to using normal power generators, power can also be harnessed by completing the Powering Up Poseidon Event quest.
- Sunshine Meadows industrial farm: The only workshop that produces Packaged Foods. The generator inside provides 100 power if the Poseidon power plant has been repaired.
- Converted munitions factory: The only workshop that produces ammunition. The generator inside provides 100 power if the Monongah Power Plant has been repaired through the Powering Up Monongah quest.
- Mount Blair: Site requires four ignition cores rather than an excavator for mining random assortments of ore as part of the Earth Mover Event.
- Claimed workshops, like C.A.M.P.s provide a free fast travel location. It is not possible to fast travel to a previously discovered workshop if it is not currently claimed by the player.
- Claim of a workshop is removed upon leaving the server.
- Ownership is transferred to a team member if the player character is in a group.
- Built items remain on the server for up to a week for other player characters to scrap or build upon.
- Due to server non-permanence, it is unlikely for the player character to come across their own build after leaving the server.
- Claiming a workshop for the first time will earn the player character 10 Atoms.
- There is no limit to the number of Workshops the player character can claim.