The workbenches in the Capital Wasteland are used to create custom weapons, with those found in the Mojave also allowing the crafting of additional items and the recycling and conversion of Energy Weapons ammunition.
Workbenches found throughout the Capital Wasteland, are utility work stations comprised of a two-level wooden work table with a metal surface, a rotating bench vise, and a pipe or yoke vise. They facilitate the unique feature of crafting homemade weapons and explosives from various junk items. Most workbenches found will have several tools (and in the Capital Wasteland, often a bottlecap mine) on the work surface or lower shelf.
A schematic of the weapon or explosive one is trying to create is required in order to make it, in addition to whatever items are required for its production.
- In the Megaton house/Tenpenny Tower suite, after purchasing the My First Workbench item from Moira Brown/Lydia Montenegro.
- Anchorage Memorial facility - On the second floor, against the south wall.
- Arlington Cemetery - In the basement of Arlington House.
- Northwest of the Arlington Library, on the top floor of a destroyed raider-occupied building.
- In the basement of the Talon Company recon camp, southeast of the Arlington Library.
- Bethesda ruins - 3rd floor of Bethesda East building.
- Canterbury Commons - In Dominic and Machete's house.
- Evergreen Mills bazaar - Smiling Jack has a workbench in the northeast alcove of his store.
- Evergreen Mills foundry - In the southeast room on the upper level.
- Evergreen Mills northern shack - First floor, backroom.
- Falls Church metro, in the Franklin Metro utility room.
- Fort Independence - In the lower level, all the way down, left door in the hall.
- Greener Pastures disposal site - Against the south wall in the office building.
- Hamilton's hideaway - In the east room.
- Jalbert Brothers Waste Disposal - Just inside the door of the northeast office.
- Jocko's Pop & Gas Stop - Northwest of Tenpenny Tower, in the shack.
- Jury Street Metro station - Inside, protected by three raiders.
- Little Lamplight - In the great chamber.
- Megaton - Inside Craterside Supply.
- Meresti Metro station - The Family's hideout.
- MDPL-13 power station - Substation shack.
- MDPL-16 power station - Substation shack.
- MDPL-21 power station - Substation garage.
- National Guard depot - One level below the floor entrance, by a desk. Go down the stairs on the left upon entering. A second one is on the same level as the entrance, past the stairs, stay left around the hole in the floor.
- Old Olney - In the sewer.
- Paradise Falls - Inside Lock and Load, to the left side upon entering.
- Red Racer factory - Bottom floor of the big central room.
- Rivet City - In the market, and another in The Capitol Preservation Society.
- Rivet City bow - Where Pinkerton is. On the second floor.
- RobCo facility - In the southeast area of the factory floor.
- Robot repair center - Mechanist's Lair
- West of Rockbreaker's Last Gas - In the sniper's shack on top of the hill.
- West of SatCom Array NN-03d - Downhill, at the destroyed corrugated steel shack that serves as a Outcasts' outpost.
- SatCom Array NW-05a - In the upper levels of the facility.
- In the Taft Tunnel from the Jefferson Memorial to the Citadel, located in a side passage. Note: The area around this workbench is radioactive.
- Tepid sewers - In a room in the northeast part of the sewer.
- The Citadel laboratory, on a wall in the Smithy's room
- Underworld - In Underworld Outfitters shop run by Tulip. The Underworld is in the main concourse in the Museum of History.
- VAPL-58 power station - In the power substation (the building).
- Jury Street Metro station - In the back of Hank's Electrical Supply, which is occupied by raiders. (Broken Steel add-on).
- Mobile base crawler - Behind the repulsion field when entering the crawler. (Broken Steel add-on).
- Chinese intelligence bunker - Under the aviary next to Calvert Mansion (Point Lookout add-on).
- Trapper's shack - Inside the cellar (Point Lookout add-on).
- The Pitt underground - Right by the access door to The Pitt Underground, near the entrance to the courtyard in front of Haven (The Pitt add-on).
- The Bridge - Mothership Zeta, the first time upon entering the bridge its to the right, in the captain's quarters.
- Engineering core - At the 2nd level where one first enters. (Mothership Zeta add-on).
- St. Aubin medical facility - At Point Lookout under the lighthouse. In the reward room after completing the quest A Meeting of the Minds.
- Haley's Hardware - To the left on entering the store. (Point Lookout add-on).
Fallout 4 has a different mechanic for crafting, where workshops found in certain locations are used to construct the settlement nearby. Specific workbench types, for example armor workbench and weapons workbench allow customizing items through mods, which may change the attributes and appearance of the weapon considerably. No special ammunition can be crafted, although some weapon mods and Legendary weapon effects affect both what type of ammunition the weapon accepts, as well as how that ammunition behaves.