Capable of growing up to 1 meter in height, and sporting both nettles and berries, white horsenettle (Solanum elaeagnifolium) is a flowering plant capable of growing in semi-arid climates with poor soil. As such, it is commonly found in the South and Southwestern United States. Unchanged by the environmental conditions that followed the Great War, the white horsenettle growing in the Mojave Wasteland has exhibited few morphological changes in the past two hundred years. Along with the common potato and various species of datura, white horsenettle is considered to be part of the Solanaceae family of plants.
As with many other plants that share its taxonomic grouping, white horsenettle produces a glycoalkaloid compound known as solanine, which is highly toxic to many animals. Absorption of solanine in humans may cause symptoms indicative of severe gastrointestinal and neurological poisoning, including nausea, hallucinations, diarrhea, vomiting and cardiac dysrhythmia; left unchecked, this can eventually lead to paralysis and death. Most cases of solanine poisoning are brought about by ingestion of plant material; contraction through direct delivery into the bloodstream is possible, although such an occurrence is highly unlikely under normal circumstances.
Nevertheless, the berries produced by the white horsenettle plant have been used by indigenous tribes for food preparation, medicine and tanning. Like all other plants in the Mojave Wasteland, white horsenettle berries will eventually regrow after being picked.
Survival Skill effectEdit
|10||+1 Hit Point for 5s, -2 Endurance for 2m, -2 Agility for 2m||-6 Starvation|
|20||+1 Hit Point for 5s, -2 Endurance for 2m, -2 Agility for 2m||-7 Starvation|
|30||+1 Hit Point for 5s, -3 Endurance for 2m, -3 Agility for 2m||-8 Starvation|
|40||+1 Hit Point for 5s, -3 Endurance for 2m, -3 Agility for 2m||-9 Starvation|
|50||+2 Hit Point for 5s, -4 Endurance for 2m, -4 Agility for 2m||-10 Starvation|
|60||+2 Hit Point for 5s, -4 Endurance for 2m, -4 Agility for 2m||-11 Starvation|
|70||+2 Hit Point for 5s, -4 Endurance for 2m, -4 Agility for 2m||-12 Starvation|
|80||+2 Hit Point for 5s, -5 Endurance for 2m, -5 Agility for 2m||-13 Starvation|
|90||+2 Hit Point for 5s, -5 Endurance for 2m, -5 Agility for 2m||-14 Starvation|
|100||+3 Hit Point for 5s, -6 Endurance for 2m, -6 Agility for 2m||-15 Starvation|
White horsenettle berries are an ingredient in many poisons, including Mother Darkness, tremble, Silver Sting, and bleak venom. In addition, they can also be used for turning the pelts of various gecko subspecies into tanned gecko hide, tanned fire gecko hide, tanned green gecko hide or tanned golden gecko hide. Although edible, white horsenettle is poisonous and will inflict a significant penalty to Endurance and Agility, offset by a pitifully weak healing effect and minimal appetite reduction. Thus, they are best employed for crafting purposes. With Lonesome Road, white horsenettle can be used to create fiery purgative, which purges the body of toxins.
Horsenettle tends to grow near civilized areas; they can also be found in isolated areas, though these are much less common. In general, under water towers, water tanks, pipelines and power lines is a good place to look.
- Some plants can be found in large quantities near Primm (North of the fence, area containing the casino) and Goodsprings.
- Several plants grow East and Southeast of Lone Wolf Radio near the road.
- You can also find horsenettle on the flatlands and in the ruins surrounding Boulder City.
- A bunch of plants can be found behind Hunter's farm.
- The surroundings of Lake Mead have some horsenettle growing.
- Other good locations are outside the Freeside North Gate at the nearby farm areas and under the water tower in the Crimson Caravan Company.
- There are patches growing south of the ant mound and Allied Technologies offices.
- Three plants exist at Samson rock crushing plant.
- A plant can be found west of the road leading from Goodsprings to Primm.
- Northeast of the Grub n' Gulp rest stop four of the plants are growing in close proximity to each other, next to the rusted water pipe.
- Can sometimes be found on dead Legion soldiers.
- Three plants can be found east of Mojave house where the mad brahmin reside.
- Another three plants can be found east of Mojave house and southeast of North Vegas Square. There will be a boarded-up white house where the plants are, and some buffalo gourd seed, as well.
- Joshua Graham's desk in Angel cave. Sometimes in a clay pot to the left of
- seed package north of Dionaea Muscipula, across the pipe. Dried version, one of the items converted from the
- campfire or an electric hot plate using Salient Green, which is an item created by the biological research station in Big MT. They can be cloned at a
- Their procurement becomes much easier with Salient Green.
- Though the rollover text on an unpicked plant states it is "White Horse nettle," the notification at the edge of the screen and the name of the produce once picked is "White Horsenettle."
- Though the berries on the plant are green, once picked and then dropped, it can be seen that they have a brown color.