In 2077, the president left the White House and secretly began living on Control Station ENCLAVE, a Poseidon Energy oil rig off the coast of San Francisco. The White House Press Corps was unofficially disbanded around the same time. By October 2077, the West Wing of the building had been empty for over half a year, with nobody having lived or worked politically there for several months. Only a small crew of manual laborers remained on staff to maintain the property.
The way to the White House is to exit the Penn. Ave Northwest station in Pennsylvania Avenue, go up the stairs, and proceed straight until one reaches the building to the north (White House Plaza). A manhole cover on the sidewalk at the southwest corner of the building leading to utility will be visible. This manhole connects to the White House bunker.
- Three mini nukes - At the top of the stairs, located left of the entrance.
- Fat Man - Next to the three mini nukes.
- A copy of Pugilism Illustrated - In the utility tunnel on a table near a workbench in the southeast corner of the local map.
- This area is radioactive (6-7 rads/second) as soon as one progresses through the door out of the utility tunnel to Pennsylvania Avenue.
- It is possible for the two skeletons placed with the three mini nukes and two RadAways to glitch and knock the items either under or out of the map so they become unattainable.
- In the Mothership Zeta add-on, an alien captive recorded log subtitles state that the United States had 38 ICBMs on alert and ready to fire when instructed to do so by the White House.
Behind the scenes
- The White House is based on the government building of the same name, located in Washington, D.C.
- The White House is depicted in a promotional item that came with the real world Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VI FM radio module, Boston Bugle Volume 12.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide p. 430: "15.02: WHITE HOUSE UTILITY TUNNEL": "The White House was destroyed when the bombs fell. The only access point is a manhole to a Utility Tunnel in the northwest part of the courtyard. At the crossroads is a rusting car. It appears a lunatic attempted to leap the car using a bike (which is farther up the tunnel). Outside, you appear in the ruins of the White House, still highly radioactive. The only living remains are a pair of frightening Glowing Ones. Face them, or flee to one of the concrete "island" on the column supports that are still standing, and blast them from here for some RadAway, and a grand prize."
(Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition Tour of the Capital Wasteland)