This quest is given by Logan, a prospector inside the storage room at Camp Searchlight. The storage room is in the church in the southwest of the camp. The Courier must hack the terminal (Average) and tell Logan where the suits are to get the quest.
|Side Quest: Wheel of Fortune|
|Talk to Logan in the Searchlight NCR storage|
|Find some radiation suits near Nipton.|
|Return to Logan.|
|Explore the building in Camp Searchlight with Logan.|
|Reward: Any weapons found|
A group of mercenaries inside the NCR storage room are looking for radiation suits. After hacking the terminal (Average), the Courier is told to go to Nipton to look for the suits. Since Boxcars is the only remaining living resident, one must speak to him in order to be directed to the hidden supply cave north of Nipton. Here, the radiation suit package can be found behind a door with an Average lock. Upon returning the package to the mercenaries, one must raid the Searchlight police station to look for NCR materials. The parts needed are:
- One NCR 9mm submachine gun: Located in the right hand jail cell.
- One NCR 10mm pistol: On the desk located in the northwest corner of the office.
- Two NCR computer parts: In the office. In both the second and fifth desks from the left in the semi-circle of desks in the center of the office.
- Three NCR frag grenade: On the bottom, middle shelf on the east wall of the storage room.
- One NCR grenade rifle: On the stack of boxes next to the aforementioned shelves along the east wall of the storage room.
- Two NCR radio parts: In the office. In the third desk from the left in the semi-circle of 3 desks in the corner of the office. The second radio parts are found in the leftmost desk in the cluster of three desks in the northeast corner of the room.
After obtaining all of these parts and returning them to Logan, travel to the heavily irradiated Searchlight fire station, where a radscorpion queen will be encountered upon entry. After defeating her, travel to the upper level, where the search will continue for more NCR parts.
- Knock-Knock, a unique fire axe, can be located in the restroom on the left, in the firehall upstairs; second stall behind a skeleton to the left of toilet. Move the skeleton to find the named axe.
- A Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap is located on the back table in the kitchen.
The parts in upper floor of the fire station are:
- One NCR 9mm submachine gun: Located on the shelves in the room with the Chief Fire Officer terminal.
- Two NCR frag grenade: On the shelves in the room with the Chief Fire Officer terminal. Same room as the 9mm submachine gun.
- Two NCR radio parts: On top of a small table in the room with the beds.
- Four NCR computer parts: Split between two duffle bags in the room with the beds.
- One NCR 10mm pistol: On top of a table in the kitchen.
After finding the listed supplies, return to Logan who will thank the player character and then attempts to kill them. When Logan is killed, the player character may take all the weapons found in their normal form.
- Even if all the ghouls in the area were killed before taking the quest, new feral ones will appear in the camp twice: upon leaving the storage room and heading to the police station, and upon leaving the police station and heading to the fire station. The camp turrets, if activated before leaving the storage room with the mercenaries, will take out most of the enemies.
- If one takes the NCR parts from Logan's corpse at the end of the quest, no weight is added to the player character's inventory despite what it says, but they will permanently be retained in their inventory. PC users can use console commands to remove them.
- If Logan gets killed by the radscorpion queen in the fire station, the quest will immediately end in neither failure nor success.
- Killing Logan or Boxcars prior to obtaining this quest will cause it to fail.
- After talking to Boxcars and before getting the suits, Logan can be killed with a silenced weapon while hidden in the supply room and the quest will be completed. The other people in the room will not turn hostile.
- If the quest cannot be completed due to a glitch, and the player character still needs the keys to the Searchlight fire and police stations, Logan can be killed for the keys. However, they cannot be pickpocketed, as they will not appear in his inventory.
- If the Courier is Vilified by the Powder Gangers, Boxcars will mention something about it, but will still talk to the player character as part of the quest.
Behind the scenes
- The quest name is based on the mythological concept of the "Wheel of Fortune," or Rota Fortunae. The basic concept is that the spinning of the wheel would lead to great misfortune or great success.
- Like many Fallout: New Vegas quests, the name is shared with a song, the 1951 standard "Wheel of Fortune," made famous by Kay Starr.
Sometimes, Logan will keep telling the player character that there must be more NCR parts in the police station, even though they collected everything. [verified]
- To complete this quest, just kill Logan and all NCR items will be removed from one's inventory, marking Wheel of Fortune completed. [verified]
- If the player character kills Logan and loots the NCR radio and NCR computer parts, these will be marked as quest items and cannot be dropped from one's inventory. [verified]
Sometimes, after giving or not giving Boxcars Med-X doses, he will no longer have a dialogue option other than "Goodbye," thereby breaking the Wheel of Fortune quest. [verified]
- resetquest 131E7C, this will reset his dialogue regarding giving him Med-X and allows for advancing the quest. This can be fixed by opening the command console and typing
- Logan and his cronies can be killed in the fire station and quest will be completed. [verified]
- Nipton prior to this quest can cause the dialogue option relating to it to become unavailable when speaking to Boxcars, thus preventing the quest from progressing. Walking outside and coming back in can fix this. [verified] Exploring the Hidden Supply Cave just outside
Sometimes, the footlocker supposedly containing the radiation suit package is inaccessible, leaving the radiation suit package impossible to obtain. This can be fixed by reloading the autosave. [verified]
- setstage 0014050D 15. To advance the quest to the proper phase, where the footlocker containing the "radiation suit package" spawns, you can use the console ('~' key to open the console) and type:
- Booted quest with the console command resetquest 131E7C. [verified] If Boxcars is bugged and does not provide the radiation suit dialogue, one can try resetting the
- In some cases, the NCR 9mm submachine gun or the NCR grenade launcher will not be where it is supposed to be. In this case, Logan will persist in telling the player character there must be more NCR equipment. Nothing can induce him to move on to the fire station, so the quest must be abandoned. A suggested solution is to use an explosive in the room where the grenade launcher should be, and the resulting blast will make it appear. [verified]
- Med-X prior to this quest, they are only given the goodbye option when talking to him, resulting in the quest being bugged and cannot be completed. [verified] If the player character has already given Boxcars the maximum number of
- If one speaks to Boxcars, the dialogue box will open, but there will be no dialogue option to find the supply cave. [verified]
- When having ED-E and Arcade Gannon as an active companion and Boone in the Lucky 38 Casino, Boone will sometimes randomly appear asking if "its time" when entering the NCR Storage room.[verified]
- While the group is following the player character, using the Big Mountain Transportalponder! will cause Logan and the prospectors to be teleported onto the sink's balcony.[verified]
- The player character may not be able to initiate dialogue with Logan, thus making the quest impossible to start. [verified]