Wernher has been organizing a slave revolt against Ashur, in collaboration with Midea. However, to put his plan into action, he requires the assistance of a healthy, able outsider to infiltrate the Pitt raiders without being recognized. Werhner broadcasted a radio distress call to alert anyone who would listen to his situation.
If the Free Labor quest is completed by siding with the slaves, Wernher generally wanders Downtown and can be seen making conversation with the locals. However, he can also wander outside the city limits and seems to get stuck around the Bridge and train yard.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed. Status expires when Free Labor begins.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Into The Pitt: Wernher greets the Lone Wanderer and tells them about his predicament in the Pitt.
- Free Labor: Ashur and Wernher are involved in a violent dispute concerning the Troglodyte Degeneration Contagion and each wants the other dead.
- As the player is about to leave with him to go to The Pitt for the first time, he will comment on any followers the player character has with them as he says they cannot come with:
- Wernher will refer to Fawkes or Charon as "whatever he is."
- If Butch is in the player character's party, Wernher will comment that "some greaser" will only get in the way.
- Sergeant RL-3 will be referred to by Wernher as a "bucket of bolts."
- If Clover is with the player character, Wernher will comment that he cannot have a "diseased whore" tagging along.
- If Star Paladin Cross is with the player character, he will comment that a "do-gooder" like her might get in the way.
- If Dogmeat is with the player character, he will state that they cannot take the "filthy mutt" with them as he will get in the way.
- If Jericho is with the player character, Wernher will state that they do not need a "burnt out old loser" tagging along.
- If one kills Ashur during the Free Labor quest and start a conversation with Wernher wearing Ashur's power armor, he might comment about it ("Lookin' sharp in that suit, pal! Glad I wasn't there when you pried it off old Ashur, though. Bet it smelt like a sack full of dog asses.").
- Wernher sarcastically refers to the player character as "hero," "moneybags," or "joker" in several conversations, depending on the dialogue option the player character chooses (offer to help, skip to the part about a reward or insult Wernher's combat skills) when they first speak with Wernher.
- Whereas most essential non-player characters become unconscious when their health is depleted, Wernher's will not. His health will instantly regenerate to its maximum.
- Wernher is one of the few named characters who wear eyepatches, the others being Split Jack, Junders Plunkett, Billy Creel, and the Drifter.
- "Well now, a hero! Look at you. I come from a place far to the northwest. It's called The Pitt. It's... well... let's be honest... The place is a nightmare... radiation, mutation, disease. But the worst of it: my people, some of the only survivors, are slaves. No big deal, you're thinking? It's a rough world. But I have the chance to free them. All I need is an outsider's help before that chance is gone." – Wernher commenting on the Lone Wanderer's drive to help.
- "Well, as bad as The Pitt is, it used to be worse. Much worse. It was complete chaos. Every man for himself. About the time I was born, those Brotherhood guys swept through the place. Killed anything that put up a fight. More'n half the place was dead by the time they were done. It was a slaughter. But they got the worst of the worst. If it weren't for the Brotherhood sweeping the place, I doubt Ashur would have been able to get control of as much as he has." – Wernher on the Scourge
- "Some of us are native to The Pitt, most of us are, really. People sometimes have kids before the sickness takes them. But the need for slaves has gotten bigger. Ashur's started importing them. Ever wonder why there are so many Slavers, but you hardly see any slaves? The Slaver operation in this area has been supplying The Pitt." – Wernher on the Pitt's origins.
- "And you just went along with him, did you? To hell with everyone else but you, huh? Here, I thought that you of all people would understand that sometimes you have to get your hands dirty to make a difference. But you're just a coward, afraid of making a choice. Afraid of changing the world!" – Wernher's reaction to the Lon Wanderer telling Ashur his plans.
- "Marie " – Wernher realizing the Lone Wanderer doesn't have
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your... companion. We only have enough supplies for two. He's gonna have to stay behind. Besides, we don't need some greaser tagging along with us. He'll only get in the way." – Butch DeLoria
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your... companion. We only have enough supplies for two. He's gonna have to stay behind. Besides, we don't need a... uhm... whatever he is tagging along with us. He'll only draw attention." – Charon and Fawkes
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your... companion. We only have enough supplies for two. She's gonna have to stay behind. Besides, we don't need some diseased whore tagging along with us. She'll only get in the way." – Clover
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your dog. We only have enough supplies for two. He's gonna have to stay behind. Besides, we don't need some filthy mutt tagging along with us. He'll only get in the way." – Dogmeat
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your... companion. We only have enough supplies for two. He's gonna have to stay behind. Besides, we don't need some burnt out old loser tagging along. He'll only slow us down." – Jericho
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your... robot We're not going to be able to keep him maintained while we're on the road. Besides, we don't need some bucket of bolts tagging along. He'll only get in the way." – Sergeant RL-3
- "Relax. It's not about you. It's about your... companion. We only have enough supplies for two. She's gonna have to stay behind. Besides, this might turn ugly. We don't need some do-gooder slowing us down." – Star Paladin Cross
- "If you aren't getting your hands dirty, you aren't making a difference. Welcome to the world."
- Wernher may inexplicably become hostile to the player. If so, he cannot be killed. The console can be used to fix this glitch on the PC. Console users can wait outside his hideout for three full days to reset Wernher's AI, after which he will proceed normally. This may happen if you attack or kill a slave during the Free Labor quest. [verified]
- Pitt raiders. When attacking them, Wernher may suddenly become hostile to you, and/or not to the raiders. [verified] When you first enter The Pitt, you are ambushed by
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition pp.102-103: "Wernher
Once one of the smarter raiders in The Pitt, Wernher was condemned to slavery after trying to stage a coup to overthrow Ashur. He used his knowledge of electronics to deactivate his collar and escape. He harbors a grudge against the city and against Ashur in particular. He has no particular love for the slaves, and he sees a plan to kidnap Ashur's baby as a way to get back at The Pitt's ruler and the city in general."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)