| || For the game considered to be the predecessor to Fallout, see Wasteland (game).|
For other uses of the term wasteland, see Wasteland (disambiguation).
The Wasteland or Wastes refers to the majority of the world's post-nuclear environment in the Fallout universe.
During the Great War, it took no more than two hours for the nuclear warheads that were fired to change the face of the planet and affect life for many centuries to come. After the atomic fire had ceased, the surface of the Earth was very different.
Millions of buildings and cities were demolished or severely damaged, with only a few exceptions. Most of the plants that had once flourished died as the Earth was changed from a diverse landscape to a barren and hot desert, radiation becoming a serious threat to what little life remained.
Countries such as the United States were turned into scorched wastelands filled with new dangers due to mutations in wildlife that altered many of the species. As the remnants of humanity began to spread once again, new violence was introduced in the form of differing factions. They began warring against each other in the new anarchic world, slowing the already difficult progress of the reclamation of humanity. Overall, the wasteland remains a radioactive and war-torn desert, where everyday life is a struggle.
- Caesar's Legion: An army of slaves modeled after ancient Rome and ruled by a man calling himself Caesar.
- East Coast Brotherhood of Steel: A chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel on the East Coast originally led by Owyn Lyons.
- Enclave: The remnants of the United States government.
- The Institute: The descendants of scientists at C.I.T. They are most well known for the creation of the synth which they use as soldiers and spies.
- Unity: A group of super mutants led by the Master.
- Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel: A chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel that crashed in Chicago, subsequently gaining control of the Midwest.
- New California Republic: A Republic consisting of multiple states modeled after old world values, such as democracy, personal liberty and the rule of law.
- West Coast Brotherhood of Steel: A chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel that originally founded the group, comprised of former members of the United States military.
Each region appearing in the different Fallout games has its own specific name, except for Fallout Shelter, which uses "the wasteland" as a generic name for its location.
- New California in Fallout, Fallout 2 and western portions of Fallout: New Vegas and the Divide within its add-on Lonesome Road.
- The Capital Wasteland, The Pitt and Point Lookout in Fallout 3 and its add-ons.
- The Mojave Wasteland, the Sierra Madre, Zion Canyon, and Big MT in Fallout: New Vegas and the remainder of its add-ons, including Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Old World Blues.
- The Commonwealth, the Island and Nuka-World in Fallout 4 and its add-ons.
- Appalachia in Fallout 76.
- The Midwest in Fallout Tactics.
- The Texas Commonwealth in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.