Walter Phebus is a former brahmin rancher who was forced to sell his land to Heck Gunderson. Phebus, deciding that Gunderson needs to be taken down, has followed him to New Vegas seeking his revenge over the protests of his wife, Ethel Phebus.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character starts quests.|
- Pheeble Will: Walter Phebus wants Heck Gunderson to suffer because Heck has used threats of violence and intimidation to secure his ranching monopoly.
- Walter and his wife will continue to mill around the Strip even after they choose to return to their ranch.
- It's possible to pickpocket Walter Phebus infinitely. Each time you attempt to pickpocket him, you lose karma but the item is never removed from his inventory. If you have a high enough sneak skill, you can exploit this glitch and get the Artful Pocketer achievement very easily. The item you select is never actually added to your inventory, however each time you take the Karma loss then exit the inventory menu, it counts as a successful pickpocket. (confirmed on multiple characters)
- If Walter is in the Las Vegas Boulevard Station, he will not react to any acts of violence committed, even against his wife.
- "He's got his reasons. And when that man gets a notion stuck in his head, he's like a Bighorn bull that's seen red." – Ethel Phebus
- "I came to take care of Heck Gunderson. That bastard's taking over any ranch he spots in The Wasteland."
- "Bighorners' my trade since I was a youngin. I confess it's hard living these days, kid. The Wasteland ain't the same anymore."
- "Ethel's going to be madder than a wet hen but you reap what you sow, kid, and Heck's earned every ounce of misery he gets. So, we have a deal?"
- "Good work. I'm sorry that stupid mail-order cowboy ended like that but his father's misery makes it well worthy."
Walter Phebus appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.