Walter was born in 2216. He spends his days minding the machines and fixing drainage devices that break. He's increasingly worried about the state of the water and drainage structure, and knows it won't hold much longer - and neither will he. At 61, he's one of the oldest residents. He also has a preference for Enclave Radio, though never actively listens to it, citing it as being "downright patriotic."
During the daytime, Walter can be found in the water processing plant for most of the day, though sometimes he will step outside for some air. During the night hours, he can be seen drinking in Moriarty's Saloon.
Interactions with the player character
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character starts quests.|
- Treatment: Walter will ask the Lone Wanderer to fix all the leaking water pipes around Megaton. When finished, he will give 200 caps and XP.
- Walter's Scrap Metal: Upon fixing all the leaking pipes Walter will ask the Lone Wanderer to bring any scrap metal they find, and as reward Walter will give them 10 caps per and XP. If scrap metal is given to Walter without charging him, they will gain Karma and earn extra XP.
- "I hope you can help. If folks knew how bad it was getting up here... well... I don't know what would happen."
- "What can I tell you about Megaton? Well, that fucking bomb is killing us all slowly. How's that for a piece of information?"
- "Alright... alright... relax. But all you've done is delay the inevitable. Without those parts, the plants gonna croak sooner or later. But what do you care? You just want your money. Here, take it and get out."
Walter appears only in Fallout 3.
- recovering missing NPC in Fallout 3 on how to resolve this issue. [verified] Like all other Megaton characters, Walter might go missing or turn up dead. See
- Karma penalty by drinking. [verified] When in the water processing plant you can "drink" from Walter. The action to drink will show for a split second before switching to the normal talk option, timed right you can drink from him and gain HP and a few rads. Although the text is red, you will not incur a