“Alright... alright... relax. But all you've done is delay the inevitable. Without those parts, the plants gonna croak sooner or later.”— Walter
|Unmarked Quest: Walter's Scrap Metal|
|Talk to Walter.|
|Repair the leaking pipes with a repair check.|
|Talk to Walter.|
|Find a piece of scrap metal.|
|Bring the scrap metal to Walter.|
|Reward: Caps or Karma|
Walter in Megaton asks you to fix three leaking pipes found around the town. A Repair skill of 30 is required to fix the pipes. After the pipes in Megaton are fixed, Walter offers to buy scrap metal from you to maintain them.
- For fixing the 3 pipes, you get 100 XP, and 200 caps.
- Walter gives you 10 bottle caps per scrap metal; if you decline payment, you will receive +10 Karma.
- You also get a 5 XP reward per scrap metal you give Walter.
- The scrap metal you give to Walter immediately disappears, as you cannot pickpocket scrap metal back from him, unlike in The Outcast Collection Agent. It is not even on his corpse.
- If you have XP bonuses (from Well Rested and/or Swift Learner), you should note that the game rounds the bonus up. Thus, with a 10% XP bonus, you will receive 11 XP for all "pairs" of scrap metal (because (2 * 5) * 1.1 = 11), and 6 XP for an "odd" piece of scrap metal (5 * 1.1 = 6, since it rounds up).
- Scrap metal can be found throughout buildings in the Capital Wasteland and can be purchased from various merchants, such as Tinker Joe, Karl, Crazy Wolfgang and other traders who deal in misc. items.
- This can be an ongoing source of income as the game progresses, considering that destroyed robots will occasionally provide scrap metal when looted. Fort Constantine, the National Archives, National Guard depot, RobCo facility and the Robot repair center can all yield potentially large amounts of scrap metal. The Red Racer factory also contains between 15-20 pieces of scrap metal.
- If you have The Pitt add-on, a better use for the scrap metal might be to use the ammo press in the Mill.
- If the add-on Mothership Zeta is installed, and all robot pods are activated and their inhabitants destroyed, it is quite possible to leave the ship with 55+ scrap metal.
- Although Walter mentions that without the scrap metal the pipes will eventually burst again, the pipes will never again break after fixing them for the first time, even if you never give him any scrap metal.
- If you want to sell more than 1000 pieces of scrap metal (added via console to recalibrate XP), Walter will take ONLY 1000 pieces of scrap metal from your inventory. Though, he will give you caps and XP for ALL pieces of scrap metal existing in inventory when you do the transaction.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.