Background[edit | edit source]
Before the Great War, WRVR broadcast to the Greater Boston area. However, the broadcast tower was built in close proximity to the military's relay tower 1DL-109, meaning the station broadcasts would experience interference if the military found it necessary to broadcast.
Since then, the Charles River Trio, comprised of George Cooper, Anne Hargraves, and Rex Goodman (if Curtain Call has been completed), may be found here. They perform plays on the radio, with Anne taking on all the female roles. She may be asked to join a settlement, however, and leaves readily, without any protests or remarks from her colleagues. Recently, Goodman, a member of the trio, was taken hostage by super mutants at Trinity Tower, and his comrades have been concerned that he won't return to them in one piece, if at all.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The station is a small, bunker-like building with a radio tower on the roof. It is situated next to a river and a bridge that spans the river.
The interior consists of a reception area and a slightly larger room that leads to a bathroom and an acoustically treated studio. In the larger room is a ladder leading to the roof. It has a table containing an aluminum tray, upon which is a baseball bat and several baseballs, all of which may be freely taken.
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Live & Love issue #3 - On a table in the middle room.
- Notice to WRVR - On a desk to the right of the ladder, next to the soundboard, after successfully completing Curtain Call.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Curtain Call: When the Sole Survivor gets close to Trinity Tower, they will receive a distress call on their Pip-Boy radio from Rex Goodman, who is trapped on the top of Trinity Tower. Upon listening to the broadcast, they can aid in his rescue.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A leveled radscorpion may burst from the ground directly in front of the entrance.
- Unlike those at radio tower 3SM-U81, the satellite dishes here are not extendable.
- When inside the building, several companions will make comments about the inhabitants, calling them the "Charles River Trio" and expressing disdain for their apparently infamous broadcasts. Despite this, no radio station featuring the Trio exists in-game.
- If one brings MacCready here, he will comment that he misses hearing Three Dog's radio broadcasts.
Companion comments[edit | edit source]
- When at this location, companions make comments, which are activated in the control room.
|Curie||"Oh, can we go in and meet the DJ?"|
|Deacon||Opinions are mixed, but I happen to like the Charles River Trio."|
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The WRVR broadcast station appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- In the documentary The History of Bethesda Game Studios, an early map for Fallout 4 is shown. A location called "KFOW Broadcasting" can be seen where WRVR broadcast station is in-game, indicating this was an earlier name of the station during development. However, the KFOW name would have been inaccurate, as Boston is east of the Mississippi River, where all call signs start with the letter W, as in WRVR.
- In the real world the call letters WRVR belong to a radio station operating out of Memphis, Tennessee, 104.5 The River. KFOW also exist in the real world as a radio station in Waseca, MN as 106.3 FM/1170 AM The Train.
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- The station's external appearance and the name of the station manager suggest a reference to the movie UHF.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
Bugs[edit | edit source]
PC Playstation 4 Xbox One George and Anne will initiate their conversation about Rex being held captive by the super mutants upon entering the station for the first time even if Curtain Call has been completed and Rex is already inside the station. [verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Notice to WRVR
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p. 356: "[5.08] WRVR BROADCAST STATION
This local radio is home to the Charles River Trio and famous for their radio plays, though the third member of the group has gotten himself into a bit of a pickle. Listen to his panicked message and save him to help these folks out. Need a baseball bat? There’s one on the roof."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)