The body of a large, mutated vulture can be found pinned to a large cliff face at Seneca Rocks.
The vulture is a significantly larger variant of the pre-War scavenging bird. It rivals the scorchbeast in size and is among the rarest sights in Appalachia. After doubling many times in scale compared to the pre-War equivalent, the vulture also has five, hooked talons, large upper arms and comparatively smaller hind legs. Its head is featherless, consisting of a jagged, vestigial beak. What few feathers remain are found on its back and are black in color. The Vault Dwellers cannot interact with it.
- The vulture's NPC record has data marking it as a flying enemy, similar to the scorchbeast.
- A fully functional animation skeleton exists in the game's files.
- One developer note within a vulture race keyword reads, "temp until we have a real vulture race".
Behind the scenes
- The vulture was originally a concept design for the scorchbeast, but was cut in favor of the bat model during development.
- References to the vulture still exist in the quest Heart of the Enemy. The viable scorchbeast DNA has an editor ID of BoSz04_VultureDNA.
- The finished model for the vulture has been present in the game's files since launch, but was only posed and placed in-game as of the Wastelanders update. Lead level designer Steve Massey jokingly described the addition as someone going "rogue" during Wastelanders' development.
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and may be inaccurate.|
- The vulture may be mutated from either of the two vulture species found in West Virginia - the black vulture or the turkey vulture.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|