|For the village inhabitants of Arroyo in Fallout 2, see Arroyo villager.|
The villagers hail from all walks of life, but have all joined together to become one found family under the kindness and acceptance preached by Jennie Brown, who since became their leader. Returning to Appalachia amid other humans but sometime after the Foundation Settlers and Crater Raiders in 2103, they came across the abandoned treehouse village and converted it into their own home, renaming it "the Retreat."
Shortly after their arrival, the Retreat was threatened by Dagger and her Blood Eagles. As such, the villagers have increased their concerns about village security and stay vigilant against potential attacks, also translating to a slightly less trusting view of outsiders. Nevertheless, they still welcome visitors with kindness, even warning them to take caution not to fall from the elevated platforms of the Retreat.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has no special interactions.|
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
- Villagers can be attacked and killed without consequence. Other villagers will not turn hostile.[verification needed]
- Villagers partially share dialogue and appearances with generic Settlers.
- If one has the Marsupial mutation, villagers may comment on it, noting how it presents an unexpected risk to their security.
Behind the scenes
There is a cut dialogue quest (CUT_BS01_Dialogue_TreehouseVillage), as well as several cut voice types for the villagers. In-game, the villagers share voice types and actors with the Settlers. A cut quest at the treehouse village was added to the game files with Wastelanders, known as Restoring Mosstown (CUT_W05_Community_Treehouse_Village_Quest). "W05" is an editor ID intended for content that is part of Wastelanders, while "BS" relates to Steel Dawn content. With the release of Steel Dawn, the treehouse village was renamed to the Retreat and its content was solidified as part of the Steel Dawn questline.
- Villager: "Have you met Miss Jennie? She's responsible for our little family here."
- The villagers were introduced with One Wasteland For All, which follows Wastelanders in terms of story progression.
- Villager: "You should leave. Sorry... I'm wary of outsiders, what with Dagger holding us hostage."
- Villager: "Hey, be careful not to fall."
- Villager: "How'd you learn to jump like that? This could be problematic for village security..."