Veronica is a Brotherhood of Steel journeyman scribe who has been indefinitely assigned to the role of "procurement specialist," responsible for venturing out of the Brotherhood bunker to find and acquire resources that the Brotherhood cannot create on its own, such as food. Irritated by what she sees as the Brotherhood’s unrealistic and uninformed views of themselves and the world, Veronica is a perpetual outsider caught between her loyalty to the Brotherhood and troubling doubts about the validity of their current course.
Veronica was born and raised in the Brotherhood. Her father was a paladin, her mother a scribe. In her youth she fell in love with a woman, but Father Elijah split them up. Because the Brotherhood is not open to outsiders, many of its members felt that it was their duty to procreate and frowned upon same-sex relationships. Later in dialogue, she laments that both of her parents were killed in the same battle defending a position whose name and significance she no longer remembers, saying, "Guess it seemed important at the time."
After following the Brotherhood to the Mojave Wasteland from California, Veronica became disillusioned with their goals. The Mojave Chapter's Elder and her personal mentor, Elijah, had changed the direction of the Brotherhood somewhat by dispatching Scribes to recover beneficial technology instead of just weaponry, but after he abandoned the Brotherhood following their defeat at HELIOS One, his successor, Nolan McNamara, upped stakes and holed up in the Hidden Valley bunker, dispatching scouts only to assess the threat posed by the NCR. She felt that McNamara was too much of an isolationist, and by hiding away and hoarding technology instead of using it to win favor with the people of the Wasteland and attract new recruits, he was just going to "wait in a hole for everyone else to die."
Veronica felt that if the Brotherhood was to survive, things were going to have to change. She began to speak up about her beliefs, questioning the direction the Brotherhood was taking. In order to keep her out of the Brotherhood's hair and to stop her dissent from spreading, the Head Scribe sent her on longer and longer excursions out into the Mojave, allegedly to collect resources. It is on such an excursion that her fateful meeting with the Courier occurs.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the Scribe Assistant perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Beyond the Beef: The player character can offer Veronica to Mortimer as a substitute for Ted Gunderson for the banquet.
- I Could Make You Care: Veronica will ask the Courier to take her to Hidden Valley, where she will talk to the Elder about the Brotherhood's collapse, and how it will need to grow and change to stay alive. Veronica then asks the player character to find some technology to convince the Elder.
- If Veronica is convinced to leave, the Courier will have to go to the Follower's outpost and talk to Alvarez about getting her to join the Followers of the Apocalypse, but the doctor who decides who joins the Followers is out for the day. This will require a day's wait, after which a few rogue Paladins are found to have destroyed the outpost, killing everyone. She then blames herself for what happens. Afterward, she earns the Causeless Rebel perk, giving her a 30% increased attack rate.
- If she decides to stay, the quest is completed and she will gain the Bonds of Steel perk, giving her +4 DT.
- You Make Me Feel Like a Woman: Veronica has a long-held dream of wearing a dress. Giving her formal wear or White Glove Society attire will make her very happy, and in return she will teach the special unarmed move, Scribe Counter. The attire can be removed from her inventory without penalty after obtaining the Scribe Counter.
Effects of player's actions
- If the Courier talks negatively about the Brotherhood when first conversing with Veronica, she will refuse to join up as a companion, and further attempts to talk to her will yield only one dialog option: "Goodbye."
- If the player character has destroyed the Brotherhood Bunker in Hidden Valley before recruiting Veronica, she will ask what they know about the Brotherhood when they meet at the 188 trading post. Telling her about destroying the Brotherhood will cause her to express shock and lead her to say, "Well in that case: This is for them," and attack.
- Becoming Vilified with the Brotherhood of Steel causes Veronica to quit as a companion. However, it seems that even with a reputation as low as Merciful Thug, she will happily continue as a companion. It should be noted that she will remain a companion upon destruction of the Hidden Valley bunker, although she warns that it is the Courier's last chance, similar to what happens with Craig Boone after working too closely with the Legion, or Rose of Sharon Cassidy after gaining negative Karma with her as a companion. Destroying the Brotherhood of Steel by activating the bunker's self-destruction option will drop the reputation to Vilified, making Veronica leave the party even if she chose to leave the Brotherhood in her companion quest. Killing all the Brotherhood members without activating the self-destruction option is much less likely to make this happen, as it results in little to no loss of reputation. It is also possible for her to stay as a companion should the Courier complete all Brotherhood of Steel faction quests in their favor, make her leave the Brotherhood, and destroy them without killing any members.
- Veronica will enable access to Hidden Valley on much friendlier terms without being stripped of gear, having an Explosive collar put on, and having to get rid of Ranger Dobson from one of the bunkers.
- Completing her companion quest in favor of the Followers of the Apocalypse causes Veronica not to enter the Brotherhood bunker anymore. As a companion, she will always wait outside the entrance.
- Equipping NCR faction armor while Veronica is a companion may lead her to issue her "last chance" warning.
Giving Veronica the following dress-type items:
may complete the quest You Make Me Feel Like a Woman (See the quest for full details and bugs) and will make her say one of the following lines randomly:
- "Aw, you shouldn't have. It's just my taste. Thank you."
- "Hey, a dress! Thank you! I'm totally trying this on later."
- "<Gasps!> For me? Do you mean it? No, no it's too much. Well Okay. But it's too much. It's perfect. Thank you. Thank you."
- "I wish I had something I could give you. I-Wait! What about punching? That's the gift that keeps on giving."
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||At odds with leadership over the Brotherhood's future, Veronica looked to the Mojave Wasteland for an answer both she and they could live with. But the answer would never come, and the dangers of the world that had left the Brotherhood of Steel behind would eventually claim her life.||Veronica dies. (Will override all other endings)|
|2||Hoping to lead the Mojave Brotherhood down a new path, Veronica sought to learn from the thriving cultures of the desert. Absent a firm solution, Veronica's expression of frustration with Brotherhood leadership would lead to her banishment. She ended her days a wandering tinker.||Do not complete I Could Make You Care.|
|3||Despite her departure from the group, the Brotherhood's peace treaty with NCR came as some relief to Veronica. Though she remained friendly with surface patrols, she was never again permitted to enter the bunker she once called home. Fearing for the safety of anyone she associated with, she continued her solitary life as a scavenger. But reports would emerge from Mojave scientists and social workers of old equipment miraculously repaired and research notes mysteriously completed.||Complete I Could Make You Care by encouraging Veronica to join the Followers of the Apocalypse. Form a truce between the Brotherhood of Steel and the NCR during the quest For the Republic, Part 2.|
|4||Though she'd seen the writing on the wall, the destruction of the Mojave Brotherhood came far more suddenly than Veronica had expected. The news devastated her. Despite her best efforts to leave her past behind, she found herself compelled to make one final journey to Hidden Valley. There, she paid her last respects to the only family she had ever known.||Complete I Could Make You Care by encouraging Veronica to join the Followers of the Apocalypse. Destroy the Brotherhood of Steel in the Hidden Valley bunker.|
|5||The Brotherhood's open aggression along the New Vegas highways troubled Veronica greatly. Nevertheless, it removed all doubt from her mind that in leaving them she had made the right choice. Eventually she would take to the road, less in hopes of finding a new home than of leaving memories of the old one behind her.||Complete I Could Make You Care by encouraging Veronica to join the Followers of the Apocalypse. Complete No Gods, No Masters.|
|6||The peace with NCR served to ease Veronica's worries about the Brotherhood's immediate future. Still, a distance had arisen between her and her fellow members that would never be bridged. She began secluding herself in crumbling libraries of the Old World, learning of promising technologies she knew the Brotherhood would never adopt.||Complete I Could Make You Care by encouraging Veronica to stay with the Brotherhood of Steel. Form a truce between the Brotherhood of Steel and the NCR during the quest For the Republic, Part 2.|
|7||The death of the Mojave Brotherhood came much too soon for Veronica, and in their absence, she felt truly lost. Yet in its wake, she took small comfort in her decision to remain by their side through their few remaining days.||Complete I Could Make You Care by encouraging Veronica to stay with the Brotherhood. Destroy the bunker in any quest.|
|8||Veronica put her moral sensibilities aside and supported the Brotherhood's new campaign of aggression as best she could. Yet deep down, she understood that it meant their end would surely be soon to follow.||Complete I Could Make You Care by encouraging Veronica to stay with the Brotherhood, do not destroy the Hidden Valley bunker and complete No Gods, No Masters. Do not form a truce between the Brotherhood of Steel and the NCR.|
After completion of Dead Money, the Courier can retrieve Elijah's holomessage from his console in the abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker and give it to Veronica, but only after exhausting all of Veronica's dialogue options regarding Father Elijah. In the same conversation, the Courier can choose to keep the holotape's knowledge instead, gaining the Elijah's Ramblings perk. Giving Veronica the message will give her the Elijah's Last Words perk.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
Veronica's armored robes
|Veronica's power fist
Veronica's 10mm pistol
|Random food, miscellaneous items or ammo.||-|
- Veronica is openly homosexual. Asking her "Have you ever been in love?" will lead her to talk about her formative years, and how she'd been romantically involved with another female member of the Brotherhood of Steel, a woman who chose to leave the Brotherhood behind after Father Elijah split them up, and when her parents' insistence that she be in a heterosexual relationship became too much. When a male character discussing follower tactics asks her to stay close, she makes the comment "This is as close as I get until you turn into a leggy brunette." Likewise, if a female courier tells her to stay close to her, she will say, "Hey now, you're going to have to buy me dinner first."
- Veronica receives a fair amount of commentary from non-player characters, and can be seen talking (though there is no audio dialogue) with non-player characters from all non-hostile factions.
- Both male and female characters from non-hostile factions will comment on Veronica's attractiveness, particularly Powder Gangers, Great Khans, the Kings, and even female Fiends.
- Veronica and Melissa Watkins seem to have a form of rivalry with each other, as they exchange snide comments when encountering each other.
- Veronica is capable of wearing power armor, so long as it is either non-faction or Brotherhood-faction armor.
- Veronica seems to be shy about showing her hair, as she is always wearing her hood when no other headgear is provided. Apprentice Watkins will even comment on this when walking through the VR Simulation area of the bunker. Veronica will first say, "I almost don't notice your lazy eye any more, Watkins," to which Watkins will retort, "I see you're still hiding your hair."
- Veronica will wear a breathing mask if one is given to her, which gives a full view of her hair. Likewise, Veronica will wear Ulysses' mask, which also gives a full view of her hair. See also the bugs section regarding lobotomite goggles.
- Even though Veronica strongly prefers unarmed combat, she is adept with Energy Weapons.
- Veronica will not equip the industrial hand despite the fact that it has the highest DPS of all Unarmed weapons. This is because the industrial hand is marked as a player-only weapon.
- Veronica will still "open" the door to the bunker when visiting it with her for the first time even if the player has already gained access by dealing with the NCR Ranger, leading to a rather amusing situation where Veronica asks the intercom to unlock an already opened door.
- To complete the Mr. House or Caesar's Legion main quest lines, it will be necessary to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel bunker in Hidden Valley, which will usually break Veronica's reputation threshold. If she quits as a companion, she will not return any gear she is carrying or using.
- It is possible to complete either the Mr. House or Caesar's Legion main quest lines and not have Veronica turn hostile by first making Veronica inactive (sending her to the Lucky 38) and then stealthily killing every single Brotherhood member in the bunker. Avoiding Vilified reputation while completing the quest will enable Veronica to remain a permanent companion.
- Alternatively, completing the quests Pistol Packing, Still in the Dark (favoring McNamara), and Eyesight to the Blind for the Brotherhood will earn enough positive favor with them that activating the bunker self-destruct will only drop reputation to Soft-Hearted Devil, after which Veronica will stay.
- When talking to Veronica about the Brotherhood and its past disagreements between its members on using their technology to protect Wastelanders, she will mention that "one chapter had a small civil war over it," referring to the conflict between the Brotherhood of Steel and the Brotherhood Outcasts in the Capital Wasteland.
- If she is low on health, she will comment on how she would rather have been an actress. She will also ask to be buried in a dress, showing her fondness for dresses even further.
- Doing all of the Brotherhood's quests before recruiting Veronica makes it impossible for her to get either of her own perks. As a result, her ending will not show once the game is finished.
- Asking The Forecaster about "Here" will lead him to say (about Veronica) "... the forecast: cloudy, with a chance of Friendship."
- Being a Brotherhood Paladin gives no extra dialogue when first meeting Veronica.
- Apparently, Veronica likes Fancy Lads Snack Cakes, as she sometimes says she wants a lifetime supply of them.
- Being caught pickpocketing Elder McNamara with Veronica in tow will lead her to kill any and all hostile characters. Although this does not cause loss of Karma or Brotherhood reputation, they will remain hostile indefinitely, making quests unavailable.
- Like ED-E, Veronica will not die, regardless of any difficulty, unless the Brotherhood of Steel quests have started.
- While never explicitly stated it could be inferred that her lover was Christine Royce. Both women explain that Elijah separated them from their lovers as same-sex relations were not permitted as it didn't involve procreation. As well Elijah was only an Elder in the Mojave and prior to that the head scribe with the Mojave expedition before it became a full chapter in the Brotherhood, which is the only time he would have had the authority to separate them. When asking Veronica about being separated she said that her lover left the Brotherhood in defiance, technically the Circle is outside the Brotherhood and most likely operates in secret with only high level members knowing of its existence for plausible deniability among the ruling council.
- "Well, thanks for taking a chance on a naive young girl from California with stars in her eyes and a pneumatic gauntlet on her hand."
- "Great. Thanks. Thank you. I'll encourage people to name their non-ugly children after you. Seriously."
- "Sorry about that. Just because I love them doesn't mean some of them aren't assholes."
- "Ooo. Got something good for me? Is it a dress?"
- "You're making me carry the heavy stuff, aren't you?"
- "Does jumping at them with my fists count as ranged? <Sighs> Fine."
- "Yes! Finally. Everything's coming up Veronica."
- "Probably die of natural causes eventually anyway."
- "Holy hell, that's a lot of energy weapons. Guess we dropped the ball on that one."
- "Hey, you try getting a date wearing Scribe robes. Might as well be wearing sweatpants."
- "You know, I've been thinking. The real problem with the Brotherhood is that we isolate ourselves. Our training is top-notch, our technology gives us an advantage, but when it all comes down to it, we're losing because we shun the outside world. We always make enemies, never allies. We refuse to recruit outsiders, or see the value in their simpler technologies."
- "But... you don't have a "this is good news" expression on your face."
- "He was dead when I got there."
- "Look at the Followers of the Apocalypse. They use their expertise to improve people's lives. They train them to be self-sufficient. That expertise cultivates respect and gratitude. Spreads their ideals. Draws talent to their cause. They make friends like we make enemies. But they don't know a fraction of what we know. If we took on their role, we could stand up to anyone. We wouldn't have to hide."
- "What'd you think of Mr. House? I was surprised he only had the two robot sex slaves."
- "Wow. I've got to admit, you have completely defied my first impression of you. Eye lasers. I'll be sure and look out for that next time."
- "A lifetime supply of Fancy Lads Snack Cakes, revenge against my enemies, and world peace. In that order."
- "Do me a favor. Make sure they bury me in a nice dress."
- "This better not be about the meaning of life."
- "Ooo, do I get a prize if I answer right?"
- "It doesn't matter. He died when we all retreated to Hidden Valley. I didn't expect to see him again, no one did."
- "That was... that was hard to watch. The parts I understood? Didn't matter. Past all the garbage, all it amounted to was goodbye."
Veronica Santangelo appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- If asked about her personal life, she might mention "I was young and needed the money." This quote is similar to when the Chosen One (as a Porn Star) says to Ethyl Wright: "Look, I was young and needed the money."
- PC If you equip Brotherhood of Steel power armor inside Hidden Valley while Veronica is a follower, even if you are a "member" of the Brotherhood, she will react as if you have killed Brotherhood members, then repeatedly keep talking to you and saying "What?", every 3–8 seconds. Restarting your PC or console solves the problem. [verified]
- PC After giving Veronica formal wear or White Glove Society attire, she may thank you and say she'll teach you an unarmed move, and the screen will fade out and in, but the perk won't be added. According to the GECK, the object that does the timing for the fade out/in when she teaches the player the move is shared with the nine triggers used to start I Could Make You Care. The script for giving the move doesn't fully reset the object, so if any of the nine triggers have activated, she will no longer be able to give the perk. [verified]
- PC At Hidden Valley, she may glitch and stay at the intercom and the door to the bunker will become locked. In the PC version, the following commands can be used to fix this glitch: prid 000e32a9 then SayTo player HVVeronicaEnter. [verified]
- PC Sometimes she will randomly stop following the player after accessing her inventory. In the PC version, the following commands can be used to fix this glitch: prid 000e32a9, resurrect 1, disable, finally followed by enable. [verified]
- PC After completing I Could Make You Care, she may stop following, but can still be interacted with. The compass will have an extra quest arrow pointing at Gibson's Shack even though the quest has been completed and the map won't have a marker on the location. She won't follow the player except for through certain loading doorways, upon which she will immediately initiate direct conversation. She won't move from this spot, or attack any enemies. Even upon removing her as a companion and returning to the 188 trading post and re-enlisting her, she will still not move. This possibly has to do with the ending fight of her quest. You can also make her appear in Gibson's Shack if you use the terminal to download the research notes. [verified]
- PC Going to Gibson's Shack, Veronica will instantly appear when you enter. Use the computer and download the notes again. Walk outside and talk to her in normal dialog, tell her again what tech you will go for, and end the conversation. This seems to reset her and she will start to follow you as normal.
- PC When you try to give Veronica a dress, she will sometimes act like you haven't given her the dress. A possible way to fix the bug is to have Veronica with you when you sit down and stand up from any chair. You may need to access her inventory after you stand up. She will then act like you have just given her the dress and will teach you the Scribe Counter unarmed move, even if you have already taken the dress out of her inventory earlier. [verified]
- Playstation 3 If you don't ask her to join during your first conversation with her, it is possible that the dialogue option for her to join never appears after that. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Veronica can occasionally become stuck at the Silver Rush in front of the gun supply after she activates one of the triggers for her quest. [verified]
- Playstation 3 When exploring the underwater levels of Vault 11, Veronica may get stuck and will permanently disappear for the rest of the game. To avoid this, tell Veronica to wait before exploring the underwater levels. [verified]
- PC Sometimes, taking Veronica into the REPCONN test site offices level during the Come Fly With Me quest will cause Jason Bright to appear as hostile upon entry, and cause her to attack him without provocation. Telling her to wait outside the office entrance prevents this. [verified]
- Playstation 3 When paying Dawes the caps to enter the NCR Correctional Facility, she will randomly attack Dawes when you get in, but the Powder Gangers will not be hostile. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Sometimes, she will become trapped behind the first door (with a Very Hard lock) in Hidden Valley, rendering her unusable until the door can be locked. It will also prevent you for initiating dialogue with her, so you cannot use her to unlock the door. [verified]
- Playstation 3 When the player buys Euclid's C-Finder from Max at Freeside while with Veronica, it might automatically activate the quest I Could Make You Care but leave it in a glitched state where it can't be completed. [verified]
- Playstation 3 When initiating conversation via the companion wheel, Veronica will have two mouths; a regular mouth that remains stationary and a "ghost" mouth that will speak over the stationary mouth, while both are still visible. [verified]
- Xbox 360 While in hardcore mode, Veronica can be of some use. A glitch can occur where she can carry infinite pounds of weight. This has worked with lighter objects like missiles or Nuka-Cola's when placed one at a time, but it doesn't seem to work if she is already over-encumbered. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Veronica stops using her default power fist and equips a combat knife instead. Neither the power fist nor the combat knife shows up in her inventory, and giving her stronger melee weapons will not force her to switch. When waiting at the Lucky 38, she will walk around with her default power fist, however as soon as you tell her to follow you, she will switch back to the combat knife. [verified]
- Xbox 360 After destroying the Brotherhood bunker, Veronica will say how it is your last chance. After this, she will continuously engage conversation with you and you have to dismiss her to the Lucky 38. [verified]
- NOTE: This will sometimes continue even if you revert to a previous save (prior to the destruction of the bunker)
- Xbox 360 After fast traveling to a location, she will occasionally start running away as quick as she can for no reason. To correct this either enter a building (That makes your game load a new area),fast travel to another location, or wait for her to turn around. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Sometimes when given a ballistic fist, Veronica will later start using her default pneumatic gauntlet and the ballistic fist will have disappeared from her inventory. At a later time, it is possible to recover the "lost" weapon which has spontaneously swapped to your inventory and become invisible. [verified]
- Xbox 360 After giving Veronica her formal wear or White Glove Society dress, you may lose the option to tell her to go to the Lucky 38. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Sometimes, when equipping Brotherhood power armor even outside of Hidden Valley, Veronica will become angered and accuse you of fighting the Brotherhood. [verified]
- Xbox 360 If you add lobotomite goggles to Veronica's inventory, she will remove her hood and not put the goggles on at all. She will still wear glasses and other head wear, however. [verified]
- Xbox 360 If you give Veronica either the Valence radii-accentuator or the Atomic-valence tri-radii-oscillator she will appear bald, losing her hair texture.
- Xbox 360 Sometimes, Veronica's equipped weapon will disappear from her inventory when she is dismissed from your party. There is no way to get it back. This can be avoided by taking weapons from her before dismissing her. [verified]
- Playstation 3 When giving her an unarmed weapon, the "wrist" part may disappear, leaving only the part covering the hand visible. [verified]
- PC If Lily and ED-E are followers she sometimes may act as a third follower after asking her to join. This applies to other human companions as well. [verified]
- PC Note that using the glitch above and then loading Old World Blues will cause her to follow you to Big MT. [verified]
- PC Sometimes, after leaving combat via fast travel, Veronica will still be in combat mode even when no enemies are around, rendering her unable to speak to you anymore. You can fix this by reentering combat.[verified]