Fallout 3 locations project
Vernon Square is a section of Washington, DC. Reilly's Rangers are trapped in this area. Vault-Tec Headquarters and/or radiation emitted from a crashed rocket are likely attractions for the unusually numerous super mutants found here. It contains four Metro exits.
The entire outer rim of the location is overall nothing but piles of rubble, chaos and super mutants. In the Northern part of Vernon Square through a small alleyway between two buildings and guarded by a few super mutants, you will find several locations being the Metro Tunnels in the direct North-part of the area, the Vault-Tec Guest Relations to the East, as the main building, and Takoma Park/Vernon East, which is impossible to get to unless through the Vernon Square East. The real 'hotspot' of the entire area is in fact the Middle of Vernon Square, where not only a large amount of super mutants reside in the area, but also a rather large Delta IX rocket has crashed landed, where despite the thick radiation, has opened a new passage called the Sewer, where you will encounter a few more super mutants and possibly loot. The center region is possibly the most devastated part of the location, with a demolished building from the rocket, and a toppled what seems to be a support beam, through the second floor of Our Lady of Hope Hospital and through the Statesman Hotel. If you continue downward past the hospital, you will only find the rear of the hospital and several buildings, which the rubble makes the area impassable. However, taking a left, and up the stairs (after you fight through more super mutants) will lead you to another Metro Tunnel and Freedom Street Station.
Points of interest
- Our Lady of Hope Hospital
- Statesman Hotel
- Vault-Tec Headquarters
- A small radioactive (2 rad/sec peak) sewer used as a base by the super mutants.
- Outside of the sewer is a radioactive crater with a wrecked Delta IX rocket in the center. The rocket is the probable source of the radiation, as the rads peak at 43 rad/sec near the rocket's severed nose cone.
- To ease in entering the sewer, there is a Pulowski Preservation shelter next to the subway entrance with a radiation suit inside
- An old pre-War cinema still stands around the radioactive crash site. The cinema depicts, among others, an advertisement for the movie "P.S. I Hate You", a reference to real-life movie "P.S. I Love You."
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine on the shelves in the radioactive Sewer.
- A Stealth Boy as well as a scoped .44 magnum on the other shelves, in the Sewer.
- Dean's Electronics in a hard to find "second sewer" at the end of an alleyway with a Nuka-Cola machine, by the side of the cinema (see Sewer entrance location, more information is here ). Dean's Electronics is behind an Average locked door, on a table next to some glue and a conductor.
There's something about this area. I can't put my finger on it, but just like the Mall, there is an unusually high concentration of super mutants.
If I had the time and resources, I'd investigate.
Reilly tells you this:
If I wasn't asking for your help, I'd tell you to stay away. It's thick with super mutants. I don't know why.
Butcher, our team medic, has always suspected something is in the area they are looking for or being attracted to.
The only place worse I can think of is the Mall.
Vernon Square only appears in Fallout 3.