He is initially encountered patrolling the lobby of the Galaxy News Radio building. After completing the Following in His Footsteps quest he can be seen patrolling the Citadel. When traveling across the bridge during the quest Take it Back!, Vargas could be killed. If he does survive, he will disappear from the game.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
* Only until the end of Following in His Footsteps.
- If Galaxy News Radio part of the main quest is skipped and the Lone Wanderer proceeds directly to Rivet City to talk to Dr. Li, and subsequently continues the rest of the main quest, Paladin Vargas will be marked essential during Take it Back!
- He has no relation to Nathaniel Vargas or Manya Vargas of Megaton.
Paladin Vargas appears only in Fallout 3.
If you kill Vargas at any point in the game before starting Take it Back!, Liberty Prime will stay immobile, preventing the player from continuing the questline. [verified]
- player.placeatme 0001d44e 1 to respawn Paladin Vargas and proceed with the quest. This issue can be fixed on PC versions using the console command
- This can be bypassed by turning Liberty Prime hostile by attacking Sarah Lyons, luring him to the first photon barrier using cover, and resetting his hostility with a stealth boy, afterwards Prime will continue as normal
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.90: "Paladin Vargas
The sergeant of Lyon's Pride, Vargas is 30, and a no-nonsense, professional type. He is Sarah's right hand man; she relies on him for his experience and advice, and he supports her and mentors her. There is a very close but mostly unspoken friendship between them. He is no relation to Nathaniel Vargas of Megaton."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)