V.A.N.S. shows where the Sole Survivor needs to go to arrive at their quest marker in V.A.T.S., usually alongside roads and paths. If the player character is offroad, the line will first draw towards a path. The green smoke-like line is short, but walking in the direction of the line will show more of the line.
|1||INT 1||Let Vault-Tec guide you! The path to your closest quest target is displayed in V.A.T.S. Long pressing the V.A.T.S. button out of combat will result in a ghost trail on the ground showing you the pathway to quest targets. Most useful in multi-story buildings.||000207D1|
|2||INT 1, LVL 36||Gain +2 to Perception.||0296C0|
- To activate this perk one must hold down the V.A.T.S. button. This is different from activating V.A.T.S. in regular combat, where the button need only be pressed once.
- The second rank of this perk, if taken when Perception is already at 10, will raise it to 12 (13 if the Perception bobblehead was also acquired when already at 10 Perception).
- The second rank of the perk simply adds to the Perception stat and not to its perk level. For instance, if Perception is originally at 1, upgrading the V.A.N.S. perk to rank 2 does not unlock the Perception level 3 perk Awareness.
- The console command player.removeperk <PERK BaseID> will not work for the first rank of this perk, though it does the second. To disable or remove the first rank one must run player.removespell 6AB35, which removes the Vault Assisted Navigation System spell added by the perk itself, and thus the first rank of the perk.
- The perk is at its most useful inside dilapidated, maze-like buildings (such as Augusta safehouse) where the route to the exit may be difficult to perceive.
Behind the scenes
Corvega assembly plant). [verification overdue]If an area has navmesh issues or similar problems, V.A.N.S. will fail to show any path and just display an error message. This is fairly common in some of the more sprawling and/or vertical buildings (such as