|Archives: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10|
- 1 Portable infoboxes
- 2 Portal Ad
- 3 Tag
- 4 Link
- 5 Sun
- 6 Happy new year!
- 7 Bug Policy Proposals and Changes
- 8 Continuity Inconsistencies
- 9 Hello, I have a Question about data in profile
- 10 Merry Christmas and (a bit too early to wish it already, but I'll do it already anyway) a Happy New Year!
- 11 Merry Christmas 2016!
- 12 Admin talk blog
- 13 Changes to admin page
- 14 Discussions feed
- 15 Nuka-Staff
- 16 Saint pain
- 17 Soft blocks
- 18 Wikia's forced addition of videos to the wiki
- 19 Video Negotiated Settlement
- 20 Admittance
- 21 Local host
- 22 Video Forums
- 23 All Hands Meeting
- 24 Content Moderator
- 25 Character affinity
- 26 Nukapedia and Fandom/Wikia talks
- 27 Our relationship with Wikia
- 28 Blast from the Past
- 29 Strange notification
- 30 Call to Action
Hey man! Hope you made it home safely from Community Connect! It was great to meet you there, and I really hope you got a lot out of it.
As I recall your schedule for being able to play here at Fallout was clearing up soon after you went home from SF. Have you been able to make any progress on portable infoboxes? Is there any help that either me or Shareif could give you?
I've tried to stoke the fires a bit by leaving message on active admin pages, directing them to Shining-Armor's portable infobox project on the forums. Can you think of anything else that we at Wikia could to to help support the transition?
Thanks for any advice you can give! I'm sure that together we'll find a way to make this as painless as possible so that you guys can just get on with the fun stuff: writing up all the new stuff in Fallout 4!
I just wanted to let you know I've edited the Fallout 4 portal to include a small right rail-ish ad (300x250). With tomorrow's release, obviously a lot of advertisers would like to target that particular page. With it being a Portal page, no ads would have shown on it. As a compromise between the non-content namespace design and our business needs, we will be embedding the ad I put there for a week. It will be coming off on November 16th. Sorry I could not give you a more proactive communication regarding this matter - we became aware of this on a time crunch. This is something we anticipate only being a one-time thing. We are hoping for a cleaner solution for important non-content NS pages in the future as we finish migrating away from Verbatim. --DaNASCAT (help forum | blog) 23:12, November 9, 2015 (UTC)
You know, it would be time to change that "inactive admin" to only "admin" at the top of the page.20:13, November 12, 2015 (UTC)
Must've been just pure luck.14:03, November 13, 2015 (UTC)
--220.127.116.11 22:02, November 18, 2015 (UTC)
Happy new year!
I would like to use the Christmas/New Year-wishes-tradition, though I'm a week late, to thank those around me who kept this wiki and daily life more fun for me during the past year. Everything just seems so normal and evident that we are here almost every day, yet it's very worthwhile to consider for a moment how wonderful it is to have people like you around me, making editing and being on chat a lot more enjoyable. I would also like to use this opportunity to wish a happy and healthy new year for you and everyone around you who is dear to you. I hope you'll have a great and healthy new year in which all your wishes may come true! - Greets Peace'n Hugs (talk) (blog) 00:05, January 6, 2016 (UTC)
Bug Policy Proposals and Changes
Hi there, I just wanted to notify all special rights holders of the new Bug policy proposals that are being put up for vote in the forums. If you have a free moment, please make sure to go in and vote. Forum:Bug Policy proposals and changes. ---bleep196- (talk) 19:49, June 19, 2016 (UTC)
Hi Ryan, I just wanted to address your concerns about continuity/dialogue inconsistencies. This proposition is just for bug sections, as they aren't notable as bugs. Those items noted outside of the bug sections won't be impacted. ---bleep196- (talk) 20:54, June 19, 2016 (UTC)
I don't use Wikia(s) regularly but when I do, I try to leave helpful information or pictures. I noticed on my talk page there's a lot of drama from years ago and I was hoping to have all of it removed. I would do it myself, but that seems to be what caused the issues in the first place. The other Admin that posted on my talk page looks to be on a hiatus. Either way, I'd really appreciate it if you could make it possible.
Another user commented on the Talk discussion between us and I think their idea is great. If you don't want to do it, I understand. I honestly don't plan to make friends on the wikia, just add information as needed to help other people play their games. If you could archive all of the stuff on my talk page, I'd really appreciate it.
Hello, I have a Question about data in profile
I have a question, I'm not sure who I should bother with it... I received your welcome message so I will ask you, maybe you can explain or tell me who I should ask instead, if another people takes care of this type of issues.
The thing is that my preferences say I registered in wikia.com (and es.wikia) and confirmed my email in 2013, it is true, I did so. I made a few edits then, here and in es.wikia. Now I came again, with the same username and password, but it says I joined today! (yesterday in es.wikia).
I'd like to know how can I get the real data in my profile, maybe it should be updated or something. According to the data displayed in my profile, I was autoconfirmed user before joining! I guess something is wrong.
Thank you in advance if you can help or tell me who I should ask.
Best regards, and happy holiday!
Merry Christmas and (a bit too early to wish it already, but I'll do it already anyway) a Happy New Year!
I would like to use the Christmas/New Year-wishes-tradition, to thank those around me who kept this wikia and daily life more fun for me during the past year. Everything just seems so normal and evident that we are here almost every day, yet it's very worthwhile to consider for a moment how wonderful it is to have people like you around me, making editing and being on chat a lot more enjoyable. I would also like to use this opportunity to wish a happy and healthy new year for you and everyone around you who is dear to you. I hope you'll have a great and healthy new year in which all your wishes may come true! - Greets Peace'n Hugs (talk) (blog) 02:26, December 24, 2016 (UTC)
Merry Christmas 2016!
|You have been given a Christmas present!|
Admin talk blog
Please see User blog:The Gunny/Admin talk - Discussions moderation for a few site wide changes wikia has made as well as some details on discussions moderating. I will be opening a discussions topic in the next day or so with the intent to better introduce all of our site moderation team to the users there (most of them have no idea who most of us are). When that topic goes live, I will leave another talk page message for you asking that you navigate to the topic to introduce yourself and interact a bit with users there. I feel this is very important and a problem we need to fix. 16:44, July 2, 2017 (UTC)
- I plan on making that discussions topic tomorrow finally, around noonish my time. I plan on introducing the rest of the admin/mod team who the discussions users don't know very well. I am going to do it in a kinda AMA format, and I'll start by explaining who I am and what I do here. I would really appreciate it if any admins/mods who don't currently spend a lot of time there to chime in. I really feel this is important. 01:33, July 8, 2017 (UTC)
Changes to admin page
I just got home from work and saw your last message to me. For sure, go ahead and push out the code to the js. It looked beautiful. I'm certain everyone will be happy to have the pics back on the admin page. You don't need to wait for me to approve changing the js. If you've tested and you're sure it works, and it's something we've talked about, go ahead and roll it out. No need to wait for me to see if it works site-wide. 20:53, July 11, 2017 (UTC)
- When you're ready for another thing, let me know. I definitely want a few changes to the discussions feed. 20:56, July 11, 2017 (UTC)
Ok. Here's what I got. I'm playing around with a script in my .js from the dev wiki that creates an rc like feed for all discussions topics and replies. The actual code is over there at http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/DiscussionsFeed. What I'm wondering is can we add some things to make it easier to use and more versatile? Here's what I'm thinking:
- Can we distinguish between topics and relies? The current feed does not show which is which. Perhaps a simple icon, or "topic" or "reply" written to the page inline before the title?
- They already have a block link. Topics and replies can be reported, locked or deleted. Can we call that from the database and add icons or notes for when a topic is reported, locked or deleted? If we can, can we add links to "approve", "lock" or "delete" a topic or reply?
- I've also played a bit with the css to style it a bit better. See mine for example. Ideas?
- Ok. So I actually looked at the code for the first time. Flightmare already added in a variable for "is reported". can we create variables for is locked, is deleted etc? We could just add classes for those, right? At least we'd know what's reported, locked and deleted. 00:31, July 12, 2017 (UTC)
- I'll jump on here and say I agree with Sakaratte. Great work Bears, thank you. DisgustingWastelander (talk) 19:10, July 12, 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for the admin template, looks good. You must have taught yourself programming the past few years. I reverted your last few edits. That game icon is only for the specific game variant, so for the Fallout 4 flare you'll only have the FO4 icon. For the overview all game icons are added. Jspoel 16:34, July 14, 2017 (UTC)
I haven't heard back from Chad yet, I know he's due to fly out to the states soon. I know when Gunslinger passed Chad made a blog post to declare it and set his user pages to semi protected as a memorial to him, so I would think it be fine to do the same again. Ideally I'd rather leave it to the crats, but this is something we might want to do sooner because of its nature. If you want to get moving asap let me know and we'll can set everything in motion. Sakaratte - Talk to the catmin 11:22, July 31, 2017 (UTC)
- Just heard back from Chad now, would carry the hounor of writing the blog (user pages are sorted now). I think this would be best coming from someone who got to know him. Sakaratte - Talk to the catmin 12:22, July 31, 2017 (UTC)
I have raised a forum to discuss adding the option of soft blocks as an alternative to hard blocks and extend the admin toolset for more flexibity in handling minor breaks in rules and guidelines. Can you read through the forum and give your input. Sakaratte - Talk to the catmin 20:40, August 7, 2017 (UTC)
Wikia's forced addition of videos to the wiki
Hello, This is a message to all listed active members of the leadership team, so please accept my apologies if this seems a little impersonal.
As you may be aware, Wikia/Fandom have added a number of videos to pages on the wiki that they have self authored. Although the consensus view so far seems to be that these are not to our standards, I encourage you to view these for yourself and make up your own mind.
You can find a link to all the videos, and a petition I would like you to consider here. If you believe that these videos do not meet our standards, detract from the wiki, and should be removed, I encourage you to vote yes on this petition. You are of course welcome to vote no if you do not believe this is the case.
Video Negotiated Settlement
Thank you very much for your vote on the petition. We have had talks with Wikia/Fandom, and a settlement has been proposed. I encourage you to review it and have your say here. Agent c (talk) 20:36, September 8, 2017 (UTC)
It's too late.
I know all about your unethical business practices now.
I accept non-sequential bills for my silence. 寧靜 22:34, September 8, 2017 (UTC
I'm playing around in local host at the moment and having some issues tracing and setting up a couple of extensions on my project. Would it be possible to catch up in chat at some point convenient? Sakaratte - Talk to the catmin 11:08, September 9, 2017 (UTC)
Thank you for participating in the video forums so far.
In order to work out where to go from here, I've created another forum asking the community where our "Red line" is, and whether or not I should continue to be the point person on this.
All Hands Meeting
Okay, I think its clear that going ahead with a meeting is a good idea. At this stage I would like to open the floor to agenda items. We have the following things to discuss.
- An update on any negotiations, and other actions
- Possible action to progress our case further whilst staying on network
- Possible engagement with Wikia on video in line with the proposed deal- if we should participate and whom that contact person should be.
- Possible alternatives if the situation cannot be resolved.
Please let me know if you want anything added to the agenda here
I'll be asking a number of people to speak on certain issues, but as always there will be plenty of room for discussion.
I propose that the meeting be held at 3pm North American Eastern Time on Sunday 24 September, this should be 8pm in London, 9pm Central European time, and Midday North American Western. If there are any objections please note them below and we'll look into alternative scheduling, the more objections the harder we look for a new time.
We have arranged facilities for the meeting, it will be held online. It is open to all persons who have participated in any of the video discussion threads up to today, except those employed by Fandom/Wikia inc (as this is the Community's meeting), or have been employed by them in the recent past.
Votes taken in this meeting will be taken as consensus view of the wiki, so everyone is encouraged to attend.
We have setup a discord server (Nukapedia's Fallout Shelter) located here. It is mobile friendly (via an app) and is very flexible.
Although everyone is welcome in our social space (The-Common-Room), only persons who meet the above criteria will be admitted to The-Town-Hall (where the meeting will be located). You may be asked to verify your account before this access is granted. Agent c (talk) 21:53, September 11, 2017 (UTC)
As discussion on Content moderators stalled last month and there was plenty of input, I have now raised a forum with a policy to vote on based upon the comments. When you have a moment, can you take a look at cast your votes? Sakaratte - Talk to the catmin 23:46, November 11, 2017 (UTC)
Apologies for the generic message.
This forum was raised almost a week ago to tweak article guidelines so we could get companion reactions added into the layout guidelines with the hope of achieving a consensus rather than a vote. Can you take 5 minutes to cast your eye over and give your input? Sakaratte - Talk to the catmin 14:35, May 12, 2018 (UTC)
Nukapedia and Fandom/Wikia talks
Apologies for the impersonal nature of this message, as I'm relaying the same thing to admins and people who have previously expressed a view on featured video. Forgive me if I tell you some things you already know.
We have a call scheduled with Wikia this Friday. We need your input - and the input from as many others as possible. We're hoping to settle once and for all what our relationship is, if it can be salvaged, and what the future should be, as until we settle these featured video can't be settled.
Please, have a look at this forum and tell us what you think.
In addition to looking at our own future hosting option, we've also been in talks with other hosts. Included in these is Gamepedia/Curse. We have an ongoing dialogue with them, and if you have any questions about a possible unification to the vault, please do let me know and I'll relay any similar response we've had, and if your question is a first, I'll ask the question.
Our relationship with Wikia
Hi, You’ve previously expressed an opinion on whether we should remain with Wikia, and the Featured Video Situation. Its really important we hear from you again about what we should do about it. Please participate in the vote here. Agent c (talk) 13:07, August 11, 2018 (UTC)
Blast from the Past
When I see your name pop up it reminds me of the days back when (around 2011). Good times, but we're still going strong as well now, with the forces back together. How's it going in the Silicon Valley? At least I heard something through the grapevine you were working there? If I think of something I'll let you know! Jspoel 22:17, January 30, 2020 (UTC)
- Great news, good to hear you're happy in work, and life from the sound of your tone. Catch ya later! Jspoel 22:26, January 30, 2020 (UTC)
Hi, I saw your message on Jsp's talkpage. According to the Fandom/Gamepedia Discord looks like it's affecting every wiki. Response in their general chat seems to be:
So nothing nefarious
that we know of :) --L84tea Would you like a cup of tea? 07:52, February 5, 2020 (UTC)
- You've gotten an answer I see, I take it that's good enough for you then. Otherwise ask Fandom. Jspoel 16:11, February 5, 2020 (UTC)
Call to Action
There have been quite a few sweeping changes to the wiki lately, and now that the Unified Community Platform has come to fruition here, it's more important than ever for our leadership to get together and inspire innovative changes for the next generation of wiki editors/readers.
As someone who is somewhat inactive myself, I understand how life gets in the way, and I'll fully understand if many of you are unable to commit, but I'd still like to try my best to appeal to you all in getting involved in a few of our currently active projects; especially so since rights-users participating in our discussions/votes are at an all-time low, and many internal decisions are having to be made between a select few users, which is bad for building consensus on important matters.
As such, I would like to ask for you all to look into two of our most important projects right now, as it would mean a lot to me and the wiki if as many people as possible got directly involved in helping shape our future:
- The Vault Academy is a program for the training and acclimation of new and even veteran users, training them on how to get involved in the various facets of the wiki, as well as helping them build bonds with their fellow users. The program has kicked off in a big way, and we are in desperate need of more rights-users to sign on as mentors, as we're having to share multiple mentees between each mentor. If you're looking to leave your mark on the wiki, then signing onto TVA program will be your way of doing so.
- As a minor update, we now have a new plagiarism point of contact. Should you suspect plagiarized content is at play, please get into point with the user FDekker who will be the initial handler of all such cases going forward.
- We have an upcoming meeting of the minds coming up on the 20th of this month, and we need people to come forth and pitch their ideas for adapting to the recent UCP changes, and to possibly adopt some of the ideas that our new datamining friends have been pitching to us.
Thanks for your consideration, and I do hope to hear back from you all! Even if it is just some of you dropping by to check the place out and say a quick hello. 寧靜 14:12, 13 November 2020 (UTC)