|Archives: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10|
Greetings, Kdarrow, and welcome to the Fallout Wiki!
- 1 Fallout Real Life Map
- 2 RE: All Roads
- 3 Ant and disruptive editing
- 4 French images
- 5 Re:Amazing Maps!
- 6 Word contraction
- 7 Shakespeare and Toasters
- 8 Gauss rifle (Fallout 76)
- 9 Fan art
- 10 Game over, man
- 11 Patroller
- 12 I'm now being inactive on the Discord server
- 13 low quality edits
- 14 RE: Nonsense adder
- 15 Vote
- 16 RE: Thanks
- 17 Game icons
- 18 Daytripper
- 19 Congrats on Bureaucrat!
- 20 Skins transclusion
Fallout Real Life Map
I saw your blog (someone posted a link in a previous comment), cool blog. You wrote about the real life locations near you.
I thought you might be interested in seeing these maps I've put together showcasing the real life locations from the Fallout franchise.
- Map 1: Open in Google Maps (Map 1: Fallout to Fallout (Film) (TBA))
- Map 2: Open in Google Maps (Map 2: Fallout 4 to present (as of time of this message))
Enjoy and let me know what you think. Mojave locations are on Map 1 along with Van Buren locations.
My Experience: I used to be a Patrol Leader in the BSWE British Scouts Western Europe's 1st Gütersloh Scout Group based originally at Flughafen Gütersloh before the group disbanded in 2012. My experience included surveying areas and commanding a small group during activities. I enjoy looking at street signs, nature and historical buildings.
Have a great day (or evening) and have a wonderful weekend, Kate.
Warren Woodhouse | Blog | Talk | Videos | Quote: "It's a funny thing, ambition. It can take one to sublime heights or harrowing depths. And sometimes they are one and the same." - Quote By: Emily Kaldwin (Dishonored, video game) 07:48, 26 June 2021 (UTC)
RE: All Roads
I totally forgot to mention that YES it indeed arrived! I had it sent to my hometown while I'm away for university currently, but my brother let me know it did show up! So I haven't been able to feast my eyes on it myself, but it just makes me even more excited and I can't wait for the end of the term so I can see it in person!
I'll be sure to send you pictures of the unboxing, and my general overwhelming excitment!
Thanks again so much for this ever special gift, it truly means the world to me! I won't soon forget it.
Yours Always; -- "Those Old World Relics still stand..." 19:22, 29 June 2021 (UTC)
Ant and disruptive editing
This has gotten old to the point of being outright absurd. Ant apparently refuses to copyedit anything he merges from the Vault and other editors should not have to spend edit after edit just cleaning up after one person. He does not listen to nor heed prior edit summaries and communication regarding his imports. Having to fix obvious things like this constantly is disruptive to other editors, even if done in good faith and needs to be corrected. Great Mara (talk) 06:33, 30 June 2021 (UTC)
- It's still going on. https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Poseidon_Energy_Plant_WV-06_terminal_entries?type=revision&diff=3555990&oldid=3555985 Great Mara (talk) 15:12, 18 July 2021 (UTC)
Hello Kate, I'm Arkadyos, an admin of the french Fallout wiki. I just wanted to thank you for the work you're doing on our side, removing bad images and so on. Actually, I gave a second life to the wiki 2 years ago, and our contributor's base is growing, but there's still many articles that are out-of-date and needs some work. We're doing the best we can, and I'm sorry if those bad images are still appearing in databases. (sorry for the approximative english :/). Well, in the name of the staff, thank you again, and have a great playing time !
Thanks. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed the maps I've worked on over the years. I'm still using my skills from my old Scouting days.
I made some map icons which are used on Map 2 of my map. I've included those icons in a discussion post on Nukapedia. Check out the discussion post here, incase you're interested.
The map icons include a river, law office, eatery, bus stop, Vault-Tec, photo opportunity and a nuclear fallout shelter.
I wonder what special gift the other user is referring to?
Anyways, have a good week and a good weekend!
Warren Woodhouse | Blog | Talk | Videos | Quote: "It's a funny thing, ambition. It can take one to sublime heights or harrowing depths. And sometimes they are one and the same." - Quote By: Emily Kaldwin (Dishonored, video game) 12:38, 1 July 2021 (UTC)
Its for grammatical professionalism really. It looks (to me at least) a bit informal when words are contracted, and I have been removing them since I started editing, and mentioned it was one of the main things I did on my CMOD application. Since its such a minor issue, I suspect that it has become something of an unwritten rule, as I don't recall a strict guideline on it but I have seen other editors getting rid them of them as well. Branebriar1930 (talk) 01:31, 4 July 2021 (UTC)
Shakespeare and Toasters
Why was Shakespeare removed from Fallout's cultural references? It's from Richard III' act 5, scene 4. Also I believe the Toasters comment was referencing Wasteland.--Ant2242 (talk) 02:15, 5 July 2021 (UTC)
I'm fairly confident in the referenced Fallout 1 and 2 cultural references. I believe that they are mostly if not all referenced. I don't believe that we need developer commentary to declare every single cultural reference. If we can get them great, if not it should be obvious that they are cultural references.
Speaking of the references I readded, why did you remove them? The toaster repair is a Wasteland references and I believe the Dane comment was an allusion to Richard III act 5, scene 4.--Ant2242 (talk) 11:21, 11 July 2021 (UTC)
The Shakespeare and Toasters was regarding Dane. I likewise am working on other projects.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Without a reference or clear connotation, it should not be added." Does that mean unless we have a developer saying so a cultural reference cannot be declared even if its a direct quote and/or allusion?
Also I'm not sure what you mean by "And as far as the references go, everything that is added to the wiki needs to be able to be verified by other editors, so it needs a reference." There are a lot of references on the FO1 and 2 cultural references pages.
Also, also "it is not any different than any other article, just think of it like a longer bts." Cultural references are supposed to be put in the "behind the scenes" section.
Gauss rifle (Fallout 76)
There is something wonky going on in the characteristics section of the Gauss rifle from 76 which I am struggling to follow. Could you please check it out? Branebriar1930 (talk) 22:49, 10 July 2021 (UTC)
I'm really confused on what you consider fan art though. To me, fan art is an completely original depiction of something that cannot be seen in-game, a model created for a mod, or a drawing of a character doing whatever. Essentially actual fan fiction or whatever. That patch comparison is a guide that looks at in-game assets and marks what comes from where in-comparison to real-world patches. It's basically a visual guide and I don't consider visual guides fan art. If we did, we'd have to get rid of the patch calendar for 76 because that's an original graphic, but it's also a useful visual guide. But we don't because there's nothing truly original there, and it is just a calendar. Also that image is being used as reference on some pages so it kind of needs to stay or else it red links. Devastating DaveZIP ZAP RAP 00:33, 12 July 2021 (UTC)
- The calendar is also an entire graphic created by a user. There's multiple of graphics like these that used on the wiki, Fallout 3 and New Vegas maps are graphics created by another user using some in-game assets, and there's also Mappalachia. There's more I'm probably forgetting. I don't want these removed because someone in the future follows a twisted stance on what fan art means. As long as the graphic is using in-game assets to illustrate a point or display some information, it should be allowed and even encouraged. And you example of the China-Burma-India Theater patch has the Blue Sky with a White Sun of the Republic of China (left) and the star of British Raj India (right) in an American colored shield. These historical symbols should be taken as such as it's like saying Taiwan has never existed. It would be kind of ridiculous of if I looked at a red flag with with a hammer and sickle and outlined star above it and saying "unknown country flag, possibly capitalist". These symbols are historical all their own and I don't think its misinformation to say what they are and where they're from.
- I do kind of agree with real-world history and Fallout history mixing. We should not include every detail of some historical person's life or a historical event cause they got one mention. Just cover the basics of why their historical and move on is my take on historical pages. At the same time, however, Fallout as a series is obsessed with history and the past. Imo, we should take a grain of salt with everything coming up to WW2 (about 30s and 40s and Vikki and Vance would be a good example of something being different) because that's when divergence started happening according to developers. And everything after it is completely up in the air. However, before that might as well be the same until stated otherwise. Like the Ulysses Grant page is perfect right now, I wouldn't change a thing about it. But, on the opposite side of the spectrum, the page for Robert E. Lee is just called Lee because a Mr. Handy only says Lee? We know who Lee is in the civil war, and I think it's rather disingenuous and a disservice to the page to push that civil war General Lee is unconfirmed to being Robert E. Lee. Some famous historical figures get mentioned by their last name only because their last name is all that's really needed, such as with Hitler in Fallout's intro. There aren't very many other Hitler's who shaped a battered germany into an economic super power. Fallout doesn't have to be specific because it expects the people to know their famous historical figures, at least a little.
- I like the verification of real historical events happening, it's good to get those referenced. But we should be easy with it and not be so stingy and pedantic about it because Fallout's history mirroring our own in most ways is the point of the series. Devastating DaveZIP ZAP RAP 03:26, 12 July 2021 (UTC)
Game over, man
Regarding this edit... Where is the photo? They people do not appear even on the dam if the messages are heard. Private Hudson - there is no such character. I watched everything in the GECK - HooverDamIntPowerPlant01, but these characters are not. Or maybe I just have a bug?--ExplorerSmaily (talk) 13:21, 12 July 2021 (UTC)
I'm now being inactive on the Discord server
Greetings tovarisch Kdarrow!
I have a very sad news to announce today. I am announcing that I am being inactive on Discord.
I know, this is very sad, and I agree. The reason WHY I am now being inactive on the Discord server is because I want to break free from the world of Fallout for once and get back to something I truly love- history and geopolitics. I like Fallout just as much as you do, Kate. I like the post-apocalyptic world and what it beholds. I like to make fun of the Brotherhood of Steel. I like talking and discussing about Fallout with you all. But, alas, I have other interests, like Atun-Shei Films and AlternateHistoryHub that I mentioned on my About section. I like Polandball. I like National Geographic. I like to rant about politics. And I know how much of an annoyance I have been on the first few days of me being in the server. So this is why I am being inactive on Discord. I am not leaving, please don't ban me, but I will just be one of those members who is inactive but still in Discord. However, I will comment on the blog posts that you may post and on your talk page.
So, that is probably my last few minutes of being active in the Discord server. I must now say, with a heavy heart...goodbye. At least on the Discord server. It has been a wonderful time being in the server, and I may return again....on an unknown date.
Yours very truly, TootsieRollsAddict Aka "Nikita The Corn Man" and "Patron saint of the Free Kates"
- Always a pleasure talking to you my friend. You are welcome any time :) kateaminer take her for a spin! 00:57, 19 July 2021 (UTC)
low quality edits
RE: Nonsense adder
I'm waiting for Richie to respond to my call about our request. It's an important forum, and I don't want to make the decision without a response from him. But I am positive about your request. Jspoel 20:56, 26 July 2021 (UTC)
- You just got your rights. Congrats! Jspoel 21:00, 26 July 2021 (UTC)
Have you tried it with Fandom? Ask them if they can come up with a solution, file it as a bug report. I'd rather keep them if possible. But I agree it doesn't look well that overlapping, needs a solution. Jspoel 17:31, 28 July 2021 (UTC)
Congrats on Bureaucrat!
I just wanted to reach out to you briefly here, to offer my sincere congratulations on passing your vote for Bureaucrat! You've joined a small group of very special people by achieving this. Some of them have been truly the best this place has ever had, and I know that you'll make a fine addition to the club. I know that you'll do great. The drive I've seen you have for this places - as we've talked about - has been really amazing to see.
If I can offer you some parting advice, don't forget why you wanted all of this in the first places. To help foster a welcoming, and informative community. Sometimes this place can beat you down, and you can become mired in the thick of it. You've just got to put it all in perspective, and remember what really matters. People come and go, but your impact is forever - at least I'd like to think so. Wikis are innate, in that we're all trying to leave this place better than when we found it. If you can honestly say that you're just trying to make things better, than that's all there really is to it. What anyone thinks or says shouldn't matter, if you're right with yourself.
Alas, I ramble as I always have. I leave you with a gift. I hope this small gesture means something to you. I rememeber giving a lot of these away back in the day (I gave out 60 for Christmas one year even haha). Their relics still live on in my sandbox. Like them, I hope this gift far outlives me here on the wiki. The sentiment should hold in my mind for a long, long time.
Your efforts and diligence have not gone unnoticed, and you have been given a small token of appreciation.
In honour of making Bureacrat, here's the 'official' seal of the wiki. May you hold it with integrity and pride. -- "Those Old World Relics still stand..." 05:40, 29 July 2021 (UTC)
Congrats again Kate, you really deserve it. I wish you all the best with your new role.
Yours Always; -- "Those Old World Relics still stand..." 05:40, 29 July 2021 (UTC)