| ||Archives: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27, #28, #29, #30, #31, #32, #33, #34, #35, #36, #37, #38, #39, #40, #41, #42, #43, #44, #45, #46, #47, #48, #49, #50|
Proofreading and grammar
Junk items and splitting
Hey so I asked around on Discord and the feedback about splitting FO4/76 junk items is mixed. Probably landed on a rough consensus of "only split if combining the two games on one page is making it difficult for the reader". So something like Skull is a good candidate for splitting, but there's less of a reason to split something like the Fuse (Fallout 4) page which can be scrolled through pretty quickly.
When I asked about consistency and matching the approach with how FO3/NV items are combined, someone raised that Turpentine (Fallout 3) and Turpentine (Fallout: New Vegas) have been split, so there's precedent for splitting based solely on editor's discretion.
I do however feel like there's an overall desire to make how we organise our junk pages "better", whatever better might look like. So maybe something to revisit in the future after FO76 is dead and we're waiting for FO5. :) --L84tea Would you like a cup of tea? 12:32, February 19, 2020 (UTC)
I am sorry about the back and forth on sealed sewers. I saw the item on the loot policy page later on. I will remember it moving forward. Many thanks! -Kate (Kdarrow (talk) 17:57, February 24, 2020 (UTC))
2102 vs. 2103
Hey J. I wanna make sure we're ready for Wastelanders when it drops in April, so I think we should make some preparations for the work that'll need to be done. One thing I wanted to ask you about is the use of 2102 in existing pages. Since Wastelanders will be a year later in 2103, should these links be changed to the new date? I'm mostly talking about instances of "X is a Y in Appalachia in 2102." Of course, it'll get more attention in places like Flatwoods that we know will be changed with the update, but what about some random location that might not be affected by the update? I feel that Wastelanders might be somewhat weird to work with overall, since it's essentially putting a new game inside of existing places in 76. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 14:30, February 28, 2020 (UTC)
- Gotcha. Would Rose be a good example of how to handle it? I just feel that not mentioning 2103 would be strange if it's still there in Wastelanders, even if nothing is changed, and the date has moved forward. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 14:59, February 28, 2020 (UTC)
what do you think about the CO rank then? actually you dont even need to respond i only put it there because the midwest BOS says its a rank, take it down if you want. Branebriar1930
junk and components
Yeah so I was thinking about this while doing the pages but it's a bit weird with how 76 does it because even though the "crafting component" is referred to as Acid or otherwise, the actual inventory item is "Waste acid". But they're effectively the same thing - the most raw form of the material you have to have in your inventory to craft. I was actually thinking that we should join Acid and Waste Acid (and so on) in the same page because the two are effectively equivalent.
The locations are based on the Mappalachia maps as well as the workshop yields as listed in-game. L84tea Would you like a cup of tea? 00:00, February 29, 2020 (UTC)
- That being said, I can move the locations of the "fiberglass spool" equivalent to the relevant pages if we don't think we should merge. --L84tea Would you like a cup of tea? 05:46, February 29, 2020 (UTC)
- Hm, yeah I see what you've done. Will replicate on the other component pages. :) -L84tea Would you like a cup of tea? 23:27, February 29, 2020 (UTC)
Bethesda did a preview at PAX yesterday. They said they'd be releasing the raw video soon, without any commentary, but that hasn't happened yet, so I just used a clip of the stream here. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 15:20, February 29, 2020 (UTC)
Are we sure that's Batter in the trailer, with the plasma caster? I think that's just supposed to be a random player character, because he isn't shown wearing a Pip-Boy or a vault jumpsuit in the screenshot from ITV. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 17:14, February 29, 2020 (UTC)
- I guess that's where my confusion comes from. Yeah, they look the same, but it just seems odd that he has a Pip-Boy and a vault jumpsuit, which would usually indicate a player character from Vault 76. The trailer also shows him at Camden Park, then cuts to a first-person camera of a player shooting the plasma caster at floaters in the park. I'm 99% sure it's just a coincidence. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 17:24, February 29, 2020 (UTC)
Portal:Fallout 76 (iw)
Your efforts and diligence have not gone unnoticed, and you have been given a small token of appreciation.
Jspoel, just an FYI. The Plasma caster guy is not Batter. Totally different hair, outfit, face, etc. The plasma caster guy even has a Pip boy. If possible, could you rename "Batter in trailer.png" to something else, simply because that isnt Batter? Even just merging the "better" picture with the original and deleting "Batter in trailer" would be good. Thanks!--Dankalor😳 23:29, March 3, 2020 (UTC)
little lamplight note
Hey so i made a note on little lamplight about how they would keep their population up and JCB took it down would you mind looking at it and giving your thoughts? thanks.--Branebriar1930 (talk) 16:30, March 4, 2020 (UTC)
- The statement on the Little Lamplight page was essentially an “it is unknown” type of statement. These don’t add anything noteworthy to pages and only end up being a gateway for editors to try and speculate reasons in the page content. Great Mara (talk) 17:11, March 4, 2020 (UTC)
With most of the bureaucrats being out of commission, I was wondering what you'd think about delegating the handing out of Patroller rights to administrators as well? At some point, I'd like to tie Patroller rights directly to The Vault Academy, but for now, there are a number of growing editors I've seen that I'd like to talk to about giving them the tools, should they be interested.
At the moment, I'm thinking about both Dankalor and kdarrow. 寧靜 20:11, March 5, 2020 (UTC)
- Hey Jspoel. Been monitoring this because i saw my name, and i just saw your response on Leon's page. I just wanna let you know im totally available for that kind of stuff. Ive been meaning to try and start the process for it soon anyway, so if you are in need of a patroller, just let me know. Dont really know what i have to do to start the application, or whatever, but im totally down. --Dankalor😳 00:18, March 6, 2020 (UTC)
I've gotta ask, because I asked AYF as well, and he had no real answer. Why are my line breaks being removed without adding anything of value, and without hitting the 'Minor edit' button?
As I told AYF, it's the same as adding an Oxford comma, and is personal preference. It is incredibly bizarre to me to see people reverting those changes for seemingly no other reason than to say that they don't like it. That's not a legitimate reason, and you guys are just inventing work for yourselves since I have no plans on stopping. 寧靜 22:52, March 5, 2020 (UTC)
I would be honored to serve as Patroller. Please let me know the details and my responsibilities, at your leisure. I very much appreciate you considering me. -Kate (Kdarrow (talk) 17:03, March 6, 2020 (UTC))
- How wonderful, thank you. I can see the changes now. Your and others' confidence in my contributions are very meaningful to me. I look forward to learning more from everyone in the days ahead. - Kate (Kdarrow (talk) 18:18, March 6, 2020 (UTC))
Hey so you know how there are many weapon categories (revolvers, lever-action rifles, combat shotguns etc.)? i noticed that there isn't a proper one for pistols, just an unfinished and inaccurate list of weapons that end with the word pistol. Is the real reason we don't have a pistol page because it's a bit too vague of a term in the fallout universe? what with energy pistols and certain revolvers even called pistols(.32, 5.56). Even though pistols and revolvers aren't the same thing.
i think we should have a designated, ballistic pistol page as most other weapons have a category that they fit into but i'll need help determining parameters for a pistol as many weapons have the word 'pistol' in them but aren't actually pistols. I don't want another City scandal or Leon to go on a ban spree. I thing one big criteria should be: a magazine-fed handgun. Alternatively i get if creating a page like this will cause too many problems you're not keen on the idea. Thanks--Branebriar1930 (talk) 08:49, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
Why are you adding the asterix back in? That's not proper typography - a list constitutes two or more items; otherwise, bullets should not be used. 寧靜 15:49, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
- I'd also like to ask again why you are removing my line breaks? They're there to make my life easier when I revisit articles, and I'm still failing to see how they affect anyone adversely. 寧靜 15:50, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
- The line breaks absolutely do not break the formatting - it is common practice to have line breaks after tags, in the same sense that it is common practice to add paragraphs to long text blocks; it makes things easier on the eyes when trying to jump from one item to another.
- As for the asterix, I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. It's improper typography - the same as if I'd be removing something grammatically incorrect. Just because something might look better to you personally, doesn't mean you are correct. Bullets are for lists - a single item, by definition, doesn't constitute a list.
- Yeah; I struggled with GAG - it kinda treads the line carefully, and I see no issue with considering it all a proper noun.
- I saw that! They've already been set up in the Discord as well, and they seem happy to have the chance to step up a bit more. Looking forward to seeing what all they can do for the wiki. 寧靜 15:58, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
- I'm not suggesting that I'm going to even remotely entertain the idea of adding line breaks to every single article - but there's also nothing wrong with adding them as I go. They don't break the formatting, they don't break the guidelines/policies, and they are technically correct to add. Cognitive bias is not a legitimate reason to go around reverting other editors - this wiki is for everyone, and unless something is explicitly breaking the established rules, we can't go around telling people how to edit.
- I'm not going by Wikipedia standards. It is literally incorrect to use bullets outside of a list - that's the academic standard, when our policies dictate that we must write in an encyclopedic manner. 寧靜 16:36, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
- I'm sorry, but I must be firm here: The FW:AP states that an administrator cannot use their position to win editing disputes. I am not breaking any rules whatsoever, so if you're wanting to see change, it has to come from your end.
- You are literally telling me that I have to conform to your standards, completely outside of the realm of our community-established rules. That goes against the very purpose of a wiki, and that's not something I can abide by. 寧靜 17:06, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
- I am also going to take this chance to cite this forum, where there's a small consensus of sorts that was already established on the use of bullet points. I'm trying to find the original forum that Ryan was speaking of, and I'll cite that forum as well if I can find it. 寧靜 17:12, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
- I'm not the one telling people to conform to my standards, and I'm not the one telling people it's okay to break our rules in order to prioritize making the wiki look prettier over being more professional.
- I'm sorry; but contrary to what you claim, proper usage of bullet points has already been discussed multiple times in the past, and the only argument from your side ever given by anyone, is that it makes the wiki prettier. If you want me to stop removing improper typography that violates American-English conventions, then it's you that's going to need to make a forum, and it's you that's going to have to formulate the research behind your stance; I'm not going to do that for you, especially not over something that you're blatantly wrong over. 寧靜 17:21, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
Butch is Duchess' assistant so I figured it was referring to her. She sounds pretty old on the holotapes. I don't think it's the same actress as the one in Wastelanders. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 23:42, March 7, 2020 (UTC)
Removed it because it was a bare effort overview that's made redundant by its more appropriate article. Why do we need a redundant, lower-quality article over the same exact thing? 寧靜 13:35, March 10, 2020 (UTC)
- Ah, I see now. I made my decision based off of the fact that it was given a (FO1) stub tag. I was thinking that both of the overview pages were specifically over FO1. Mah bahd. 寧靜 13:41, March 10, 2020 (UTC)
About Being followed (Note in Harpers Ferry)
I found the cooler of the image you uploaded, but only found some loots inside. I've been tried for serverals days, did i find the wrong one? Fallout中文維基行政員 - 史塔克大人 07:00, March 14, 2020 (UTC)
I tried to make the sentences as grammatically sound as possible though and i undid some of the edits i made. feel free to undo all of the 2nd/3rd person changes i made if it doesn't really matter that much but i can't go through each quest again right now.--Branebriar1930 (talk) 16:01, March 20, 2020 (UTC)
Re: Note images
Thanks! I also made some graphical adjustments to my game recently so newer images might have better lighting, etc. It's definitely a worrying time, though. All of my college classes were moved to online. I'm not even sure if I'll have commencement at this rate. A friend of mine on Discord also got it from his workplace, which really woke me up. I don't pay as much attention to the wiki statistics as I probably should, now would be the time to watch them. AllYourFavorites! (talk) 19:16, March 20, 2020 (UTC)
Quests on location pages
Greetings! Thank you for the question. I was following the format listed in the location article guideline resource page, that says for related quests, "If there are quests which start or take place in this location, list them here (just link them, no need to go into detail)." I can leave them though, no problem. Just let me know! -Kate (Kdarrow (talk) 21:56, March 20, 2020 (UTC))
- Absolutely, I can do that now. Thanks for the heads up! -Kate (Kdarrow (talk) 22:02, March 20, 2020 (UTC))
the main issue you seem have with those edits are the grammatical mistakes i am making, which i totally accept as my fault and i own. However i do not agree that it is fine to say 'player' instead of 'player character'. Saying the former is objectively wrong since the player is just the real-life person in front of a screen. i will take more care in making sure the sentences are grammatically sound but i am still going to correct the aforementioned terminology.
P.S. Some user named GreyFoxen is making a bunch of edits on fallout 76 pages and could really use some oversight.
i do actually agree with you that it is a bit awkward, just when the player/player character difference gets pointed out it becomes hard to ignore from then on.
Thank you so much for cleaning up the pages I edit/create articles for! I don't know much about making wiki pages, so I super appreciate it! :3. User:GreyFoxen
Generic CoA and Trappers dialogue
There are a lot of specifically named networks and terminals on the Gamepedia "computer" page. Where if anywhere should they be added here? I ask because both the "computer" pages need an update. Right now they are an overview for all "robots and computers", both hardware and software, and both complex and simple programs. I don't want to just port over the list creating a mostly red linked page. Also shouldn't the in game world object be recorded on the page?--Ant2242 (talk) 22:55, March 23, 2020 (UTC)
It is a pretty large list with red links and I know you don't like those. Should the page be reorganised and or split into some sort of sub-overviews? ie. "Software", "Hardware", "Terminal commands", "Newtowrks" etc? https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Computer#List_of_computers_in_the_Fallout_games
As for terminal on Gamepedia there is a list of lore known terminals, (Should they be mentioned on the computer page?) but it is an overview of here on Fandom "terminal entries"... So again, I am confused on how to proceed? https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Terminal#Terminal_types
Joshua Graham revert
Can I please revert Great Maria's revert to the "Joshua Graham" page? All I did was clean up some reverences and move a few quotation marks back to where they were within a quotation.--Ant2242 (talk) 22:57, March 23, 2020 (UTC)
- The only grammar I "made worse" was the quotations that were left where JE Sawyer left them, in his own writing, and in his own Quotation on the page.--Ant2242 (talk) 18:52, March 24, 2020 (UTC)