|Archives: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10|
Surprised this needs to be said, but new messages go at the bottom of the page. Untitled and unsigned messages will be ignored.
- 1 Young Woman located south of the pulowski shelter in morgantown
- 2 Porto Vento~
- 3 Gala
- 4 Gratitude
- 5 REPCONN test site
- 6 Tranquility Lane Gallery Pronouns
- 7 re: tranquility lane
- 8 Aspect distortions
- 9 Trashcan Carla discount
- 10 Creatures/Robots article layout
- 11 Oxford comma
- 12 Messagebox mayhem
- 13 re prostitution
- 14 talk page user
- 15 Why do you keep reverting clearer comma usage?
- 16 Snallygaster
- 17 Two Things
- 18 Titles
- 19 Overseer
- 20 Discord?
- 21 Trailer
- 22 Votes
- 23 Infoboxes
- 24 Thank you!
- 25 Article talk
- 26 Formatting question
- 27 Vault merges
- 28 10mm pistol bug
- 29 Merges
- 30 Re: No
- 31 BTS reply
- 32 Infobox and chronological order
- 33 RE: Discord
- 34 banned users should not be serviced
- 35 Blanking
- 36 Thank you
- 37 Just talk to me
- 38 Why?
- 39 RE Whom
- 40 Re: Message
- 41 Hello Mara
- 42 Edit summaries
- 43 Rollback
- 44 Christ
- 45 Yes, I know it's Fallout 4
Young Woman located south of the pulowski shelter in morgantown
Been looking for this one and noticed you made the edit that added in that location. Could you be a bit more specific because I have been searching high and low with no sign of the corpse Springtrap1128 (talk) 03:13, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
Found it and wouldn’t ya know I was looking in the complete wrong spot for it the whole time I did find an unmarked Free States camp though but thanks for the detailed info it really helped Springtrap1128 (talk) 05:34, 10 January 2021 (UTC)
I *think* they should match up - judging by the table, it was based on the OMODs exported from the game, so these should refer to existing ones. Tägäżïël 16:32, 12 January 2021 (UTC)
"Sniping from the tower falls under gameplay strategy and has never been allowed."
That part was restored from the edit that was there for years in regards to fighting out of tower (as oppose to running). My addition was pointing the unique usage of Gas Bombs due to the height of the tower (and also previously on the page for years).
Incidentally what exactly is 'gameplay strategy?' A walk-through involves strategy. A Fallout guide invariably involves strategy (in finishing the game). Mad Dog Fargo (talk) 17:20, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
Thank you for the assist on the weapon template tweak. I asked one of our technical experts to look into it so I don't make more of a mess. Also, happy early 30k! --kdarrow take her for a spin! 00:33, 3 February 2021 (UTC)
REPCONN test site
Hey—appreciate the copy edit. Just for future reference, is punctuation within quotation marks standard style site-wide here (e.g. if the punctuation isn't present in the quote but ends a sentence containing one) or were you just adding the period from the direct quote from the terminal message within the game? Want to make sure I get that right. Thanks. NewhonImproved (talk) 10:08, 19 February 2021 (UTC)
Tranquility Lane Gallery Pronouns
Hi, I don't really understand why you revered bmdit to (see https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Tranquility_Lane?oldid=3454975) Is refering to James/Dad (a male) and Braun (also a male) as he/his instead of them/their not the correct use of the English language? See James_(Fallout_3)#Gallery where the correct pronouns are used. Sairento (talk) 19:02, 20 February 2021 (UTC)
re: tranquility lane
The "they/their" pronouns would make more sense if we were talking about the pods themselves. In the context of people with known pronouns, it is less formal to use "they/their". TBH that gallery should be rewritten to circumvent the need for pronouns. Thanks for understanding.
Scribe-Howard (waster93) (talk) 23:27, 20 February 2021 (UTC)
I did some testing on aspect distortion functionality you mentioned and it appears that feature is no longer present. Check the BOWS table. I set all of these to images to 90x110px, and it seems all it does is set a maximum size for each axis, rather than stretching to fit.
Scribe-Howard (waster93) (talk) 02:32, 24 February 2021 (UTC)
Trashcan Carla discount
So do you think it's self-evident that her discount applies only to sales by her, not as a bonus to sales to her? That certainly was not self-evident to me, otherwise I wouldn't have investigated it and written it up. Spikezarkspike (talk) 14:18, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Creatures/Robots article layout
I made a talk page for the Creature/Robots article layout guidelines, since you brought up that Appearances was a required section. Let's talk shop about getting that fixed. If there's anything else that you feel is off about layouts, now's the time. For instance, I'm for culling "Biology/Specs" and merging it into Background, while dedicating Characteristics as the section for gameplay info and tips.Scribe-Howard (waster_93) (talk) 04:01, 11 March 2021 (UTC)
Good sir! What an atrocious, inconscionable sentiment you express! Tägäżïël 16:24, 19 March 2021 (UTC)
Yes, I know what you mean. It took me a while to figure it out. You have to click on the box anywhere other than the text. It should have an x somewhere in a corner like the original one. Jspoel 17:59, 24 March 2021 (UTC)
- I've asked one of the two developers, he's not that active, hope he sees it. Jspoel 15:04, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
I think that would be fair. The article read as if it was illegal before the war across the board, which in the real world isn't true and in the Fallout-world we don't know. It is legal and regulated the same as any other business in my state (eight counties in Nevada) and elsewhere in the world, esp Europe. I am happy to defer to you as to how to say it though :) -kate (kdarrow take her for a spin! 01:14, 16 April 2021 (UTC))
talk page user
I was just about to head here to thank you for being so quick on that and letting me know, I locked it for three months. It'll be perm next time due to all the warnings. Thanks again for helping keep a handle on that nonsense. -kate (kdarrow take her for a spin! 01:39, 18 April 2021 (UTC))
Why do you keep reverting clearer comma usage?
I realize there is no academic consensus on the "correctness" of the use of the serial comma, but our manual of style states that, where they do not conflict, the Wikipedia Manual of Style is the manual of style we use. They do not conflict when it comes to the use of commas.
The Wikipedia manual states that the serial comma should at the very least, be used when there is ambiguity from its absence, and also to maintain internal consistency.
On the ambiguity point. In this case, without the serial comma, the phrase "a U.S.S.A linguistics specialist, a U.S. Senator and someone within the White House who had nuclear codes" implies that the latter two people are both the same person (they aren't), creating ambiguity as a list. Further, I am not sure why you are doing this with this particular use of the comma, as there are many, many other instances of the use of the serial comma elsewhere in the wiki that, when removed, would be far less ambiguous.
On internal consistency. You are reverting this specific use of the serial comma where there are 6 other instances of the serial comma in the article.
- TheLearnedHand, 21:56, April 19, 2021 (UTC)
Yes, I am. This new infobox template I created will eventually be able to swap the name field using a tabber system. Meaning:
- |name = Snallygaster
- |name2= Fetid Snallygaster
- |name3= Glowing Snallygaster
This will phase out the extremely bloated "variants" sections. Please do not remove these unless you want me to overlook restoring them later when I apply this QOL fix, bricking several articles. In addition, an extra 27 bytes harms absolutely nothing.Scribe-Howard (waster_93) (talk) 04:46, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
- No, this will doing the exact opposite. the basic method it is currently using works on mobile. It will work even better after Fandom's upcoming UI update.Scribe-Howard (waster_93) (talk) 06:00, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
- Edit: For more information, see Fandom's help page for infoboxes.
Early Sniper Rifle (better than a hard-locked safe) : Enter Camp McCarran, go straight then right where the road splits. Follow it around until you get to the first of the tents. Go into the larger tent, 2nd over (north) from the road. Once inside the tent, the sniper rifle is on the top bunk against the south wall. You don't even have to sneakily steal it since it's not owned by anyone.
Anon Users talk page : Just edit the URL to access these pages by entering User_talk: between wiki/ and their IP address. For example ...
- AngelaStuff2 (talk) 22:36, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
- "When a title is used to refer to a specific person as a substitute for their name during their time in office, e.g., the Queen, not the queen (referring to Elizabeth II)"
Since this character is referred to by their occupational title while in office, it is inappropriate to decapitalize it when used as a substitute for their name. In this case, the actual name never appears in-game, so it is inappropriate to use it. Scribe-Howard (waster_93) (talk) 22:20, 10 May 2021 (UTC)
I wanted to reach out to you regarding the Jacoren article, and the dispute you're currently in with Scribe. On this matter, I do agree with you and I think you've made the correct changes, but I'd also like to ask for you to please use the article talk-pagea going forward, rather than reverting a revert first which is against our rules.
Typically in our established American-English conventions, titles are never capitalized unless they precede a name or if they're being described in, say, a technical manual or whatnot. But there are exceptions to this rule, such as the Queen, and I believe the argument that Scribe is making is that the Overseer qualifies as such an exception. I don't particularly agree with that assessment, but I do think it might be worth at least a civil discussion in good faith rather than just blatantly reverting each other until someone has to step in like I'm doing now.
As such, I'd like to request that the two of you discuss this matter before any further changes are made on that page. Otherwise a neutral party can get involved and help mediate. Thanks for understanding. 寧靜 23:39, 10 May 2021 (UTC)
So it turns out, that we use both styles. This is handy in the case of requiring a backup, but it is disastrous in the case of conflict. I'm sure 99% of our nitpicking boils down to us using different manuals. So what do we do to solve this?
I know you know what you're talking about, so I've been wondering if you would be interested in joining me on Discord to discuss laying down the framework a stronger policy - so we don't need to have these kinds of conflicts and so other users will know which style to use when writing. Right now, it's basically personal preference masked as enforcing policy; not good.
My Discord contact is I Am Bad#5645, feel free to add me and fire up a DM. It's a hell of a lot faster than these old talk boards.
Blue beat me to it, but I was pointed towards the edit conflict between you and Master. When it comes to more mundane changes like when it comes to minor wording, I would highly recommend using the edit-summary tool and/or the other party's talk-page to help them understand the mistake they're making, otherwise they're not going to get what's up, and that's how edit-wars start. If you'd rather not talk to another editor but you still feel strongly about reverting them, try and get someone else involved who will be more willing to start up a dialogue.
As for which wording is correct... Blue was rather succint in his edit-summary about the matter, so I have nothing more to really add onto that. Happy editing. 寧靜 22:02, 13 May 2021 (UTC)
Thanks for taking the time to confirm all the votes thus far, I appreciate the assist. I have to say I chuckled, under the influence is right about spot on. I have to take a closer look at this user regarding their eligibility. Seems like a tough one but I will make sure it is all sorted and tidy in either case. Thank you again for helping me! -kdarrow take her for a spin! 04:22, 23 May 2021 (UTC)
Yes, yes, and 100% more yes. I completely agree, having this information is of the utmost importance for seeing what templates are used for, when to use them, and how. I completed a review of existing and found significant duplicate copy-pastes, some even lifted from and placed into completely different templates altogether. I appreciate you giving me some background information, and confirmation that yes, this is both the way it was and should be done moving forward. I want to work to make these easier to understand, teach, and use, this being the first step towards that goal. I am grateful for your input very much! kdarrow take her for a spin! 17:28, 4 June 2021 (UTC)
Thank you as always for the keen eye. I will take a look into it now. -kdarrow take her for a spin! 01:29, 7 June 2021 (UTC)
I see what you mean, having nothing to do with the article. On second thought, I agree with you. Go ahead and roll my edits back, or I can if you are busy. Thanks for pointing this out, I am always grateful for a second opinion. -kdarrow take her for a spin! 11:04, 8 June 2021 (UTC)
Hey! I saw your question about the formatting for the Wikipedia link you used. On mobile, it looked like this:
Hi Mara, thanks for getting my attention on this. I can definitely see the frustration and agree that everyone should be mindful and pull their weight. I am about to head to bed but will review in more depth in the morning, promise. Thanks again for letting me know. -kate (kdarrow take her for a spin! 07:26, 30 June 2021 (UTC))
10mm pistol bug
I did try to replicate it, but I only have Fallout 4 on Xbox. I see your point, so I'll revert my edit and add a platforms needed tag in case it was a PlayStation or PC bug. Aiden4017 (talk) 14:05, 4 July 2021 (UTC)
I have been monitoring merges for a bit and seems like all is quiet on the western front, for now. (Not that I am saying mission accomplished or anything.) Let me know if you see anything amiss. I will keep reviewing them just to make sure all are keeping things tidy. As always, thank you for being the eyes on the ground :) Appreciate it to the max. - kdarrow take her for a spin!
I was wondering about the context behind the talk page message you sent me. Can you elaborate?
Hey there, In my summary I believe I mentioned that exact visual representation is also permitted for such articles, just not speculation - though I personally believe other objects should fall under this policy, which plan on bringing up at MOTM tomorrow or in a forum and get some feedback on for the next phase of BTS spec removal project :)13:21, 30 July 2021 (UTC)
Infobox and chronological order
Hey there. From what I understand you don't like people who discuss things on Discord, so I will also try to discuss this directly with you. About the Arthur Maxson and Madison Li silent reversals, could you please point me out the policy saying that the oldest chronological appearance must always be the first? I've taken a look at Fallout Wiki:Article layout guideline/Character article and the character infobox template and couldn't find such a rule. Doctor Henry's page show his most recent chronological appearance first, so the contrary of what is done with Maxson and Li. Since you gave no edit summary to your reversals I am confused as to wether it was made because of atavism or because of me actually doing something wrong. Xporc (talk) 12:20, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks for your reply. I didn't willingly ignored prior edits, I just didn't knew about them. For the record, McCready is also displaying his Fallout 4 appearance first. I should also inform you that we've started discussing on Discord a new rule about putting latest chronological appearance first instead of the other way around. Xporc (talk) 12:45, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
You are welcome in the Discord, whether you want to be or not. I understand you may have personal baggage with the platform or with users, but that does not mean the platform itself is barring you from entry or participation. And it remains in poor tastes to complain about transparency, while simultaneously leaving blank summaries which leave others guessing as to what you have done or why. You can control whether or not you join the Discord, but other users cannot control whether or not you leave a satisfactory (or even any) edit summary to explain your actions. The Dyre Wolf (talk) 06:41, 11 August 2021 (UTC
- The "cognitive failure" is assuming yours is the only time being wasted, when in reality you are creating circumstances where others having to pick up the slack for your shortcomings. If you do not have the time to do something right, do not do it at all. If you are too hard pressed to leave even a bare minimum explanation of why something was done, especially in an instance where there is no hard set rule and inconsistent presentation was exactly what the user found when they very much did check other pages, then do not do a half assed job which causes problems and frustration for other staff and other editors. You are fond of calling out people who waste your time, but quite frankly a growing number of users are becoming discontented and increasingly dissatisfied with the amount of others' time you are wasting. We have a healthier group of active patrollers and stable regular editors outside of staff positions than we have in a very long time, and this growing body of editors are more than happy to do the job right the first time and actually communicate with others. Speaking with Kdarrow, she echoed this sentiment, stating it would be preferable a less than stellar edit remain until addressed appropriately, rather than having you run people off and leave the job incomplete. No one is saying that you should have to paragraph out summaries for barebones, basic maintenance or when it concerns legitimate vandalism. I do not think anyone would be anywhere nearly as up in arms if that was the case, but that's no what's going on and you know it.
- Concerning access to Discord? Absolutely everyone (who is not banned) can see it, and there are numerous links making it available on both desktop and mobile. Considering the more than lackluster mobile editing experience as well as the higher percentage of traffic from mobile, I would wager more people can actually view Discord and with greater ease than are willing to put up with Fandom's less than friendly UI and mobile experience. You choosing to actively avoid Discord, does not mean it is not available.
- At the very least this continued callousness which places your convenience over the wiki and its community, is enough of a problem I have raised the issue of whether or not it would be appropriate to keep you as a patroller with other admin and crats. In the mean time, if someone comes to me with more edits which have been undone by you, which are devoid any summary and no legitimate reason for the undoing can easily be seen, I will replace the edit as the user left it. It will then be your burden to take the removal of the content to a talk page, and it will be your burden to seek out consensus before removing whatever the content was. If you do not do so and remove the content again, I will consider that active edit waring on your part, bordering on vandalism. At that point, I will not hesitate to issue a ban, with this being your warning. The Dyre Wolf (talk) 14:12, 11 August 2021 (UTC)
banned users should not be serviced
- Hey Mara,
- Upon a second read, I realized this came off extremely hostile when I was going for serious. I'm sorry I addressed you like that.
- The reason for the reversions and for my cranky attitude was because all of these articles or changes were written by permanently banned user Sole Survivor. As part of a ban evasion tactic, he had written these articles and recruited new and old users alike to publish them on the wiki.
- While the content itself was okay, permitting it to stay up is not a good idea at this point. In the past, we had allowed content he added anonymously or via a proxy over these last 10 months to stay up. This demonstrates that there is no consequence for circumventing his ban, and intrinsically encourages him to continue.
- In light of him manipulating users among our staff to edit on his behalf, it is time to put our foot down and show him that his work is invalid.
- I hope this clears things up. Please rejoin the Discord group so that you aren't out of the loop on these things. It is important than someone in your position is aware of the covert vandalism occurring on the wiki. Scribe-Howard (waster_93) (talk) 03:18, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
I am looking into the issues regarding the two articles. I saw you reached out to Jspoel but I just wanted to let you know. - kdarrow take her for a spin! 22:10, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Strange removal. I left a message on this talkpage. Jspoel 17:25, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
For the quickness with that vandal, as always. - kdarrow take her for a spin! 23:43, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
Just talk to me
Why did you after I corrected the information get rid of the information entirely, When someone is talking about the 1911 they’re most likely talking about the 1911A1 —Preceding unsigned comment added by Lukeawsomeness2 (talk • contribs) 17:44, October 11, 2021 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- Hey Mara, this is just to let you know that I temporarily locked the .45 Auto pistol article due to edit warring. I left the other involved user links to the relevant policies and guidelines on their talk page. I think it would be helpful, if you could link to the policy in question the next time you reach out to someone in a similar case. Just telling then to read the policies is not necessarily helpful for a new user. In any case, this is just FYI.
- Have a great day and happy editing. –FindabairThe benefit of the doubt is often doubtful. 19:11, 11 October 2021 (UTC)
why did you revert my Arch Dornan page edit? im wondering why you did. Signed 06:56, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
Its not about the frequency of its use, its the fact that it doesn't actually mean the same thing as 'who'. They mean different things and when people use them in the same context its not because 'whom' is antiquated verson of 'who', but its because the speaker probably doesn't know better. 'Who' is for referring to the subject of the sentence (in this case the COA), whereas 'whom' is for the object (the ghouls).
As for it going out of use well, that's true, but its because people are just getting lax with their grammar, not because the word itself is wrong and outdated. I probably also use them interchangeably without even knowing it, but If I am writing something formal to someone I don't know, I'm still going introduce it by saying "To whom it may concern...".
I'm not too fussed however, and this wiki doesn't need over-the-top grammar scrutiny, so I won't really mind if you would prefer changing it back, though there have been instances where I have changed 'whom' from 'who' in the past. Branebriar1930 (talk) 15:11, 23 October 2021 (UTC)
I got your message but I really don't appreciate you calling my work "flooding recent changes." I mentioned this in Discord #editorial-ballpit. --kdarrow take her for a spin! 22:14, 5 November 2021 (UTC)
- There is no rule as to how many edits someone is allowed per day or how fast they are allowed to be. I can put it up for a vote. In the meantime I suggest you set your recent changes to exclude my edits to align with your preferences. --kdarrow take her for a spin! 22:28, 5 November 2021 (UTC)
- If by "why keep doing it" you mean changing the subheaders, check recent changes before making accusations. --kdarrow take her for a spin! 23:14, 5 November 2021 (UTC)
Hello Mara, its been a while. Looking for a few old hands to talk to about an idea. I'm gunna sit in the discord for a few days, can you hit me up if you have a chance? Agent c (talk) 02:34, 10 November 2021 (UTC)
Thanks for pulling out those weasel words, just wanted to leave a reminder to use edit summaries. I know I am getting used to the new rule, too. Thanks again for being on the grind. -kdarrow take her for a spin! 03:36, 20 November 2021 (UTC)
Why are you rolling back bot changes? -kdarrow take her for a spin! 00:02, 26 November 2021 (UTC)
- I don't know re banned user. I always check the bot's work, mark and rollback wildcard errors. It isn't necessary for you to do so. -kdarrow take her for a spin! 00:13, 26 November 2021 (UTC)
I can't see what you mean. Can you be more specific? Jspoel 16:06, 26 November 2021 (UTC)
Yes, I know it's Fallout 4
There IS non-standard ammunition, like what was said in the post of high-explosive. You can change the missile type. You should really know about it before you change it. Looking through your talk page, it seems you're a serial reverter.
- ProxyJ069 your screen shot clearly shows a mod in use. Great Mara was correct to revert your edit. Appalachian has now reverted your revert. See your own talk page for further discussion. Spikezarkspike (talk)
- Well for one, Those are unsigned message and it's proper to add four ~ to the end of your post to automatically sign off, Top of Mara's Talkpage even says in big red letters that they ignore unsigned comments. Regardless, no the content you tried to add is modded content from the Wasteland Imports mod, I suggest you try to mod the Missile Launcher without that mod active in order to check yourself, I managed to find out by looking at the Mod's changelog and seeing that they added exactly those 3 additional options (On top of Standard Ammo) in it's version 1.50 update. We all make these mistakes sometimes but defending it without checking your mods first is a bad move LovinglyGaslight (talk) 15:56, 27 November 2021 (UTC)
@LovinglyGasLight So you're calling me a liar, got it. I could show you my mod list and that Wasteland Imports isn't there, but I won't bother to waste my time ProxyJ069 (talk) 20:30, 29 November 2021 (UTC)