|Archives: #1, #2, #3, #4|
Yeah, that one began to escalate in odd ways. I did not see the same call to violence that the last user was banned for, just more or less someone whose extreme political views had them agreeing with things other idiots had already done. Was definitely getting close to the ballpark of being worse for that user, though. Was also getting some Navy Seal copy pasta vibes from some of his comments, but as long as it was only fringe political beliefs and a healthy splash of sounding ignorant, it's the far right version of the spectrum. We have several users who have been openly communist, seemingly in an unironic and not just for the lols kinda way, so it takes all kinds. I'll watch out for him on any other threads, though browsing his history, it looks like comments come few and far between, so hopefully that's the end of it. The Dyre Wolf (talk) 01:31, 18 January 2021 (UTC)
Teaching moment[edit source]
Edit on Ranger Sequoia that I wanted to talk about. The user did not know where to put the information and they said so much. The comment you left in edit summary was not appropriate. Next time be kind, leave an edit summary that says thank you and something along the lines of "see my edit for where we place the info." Not everyone knows how to edit and we need to assume good faith, take time to teach, and always treat others with respect, especially since they are coming here to help out with information that is valuable. --kdarrow take her for a spin! 02:19, 19 January 2021 (UTC)
- I totally understand. I get frustrated too and get caught up in the moment more often than I would like to admit. I appreciate your work and diligence in keeping everything tidy, included edits varying in quality :) --kdarrow take her for a spin! 19:26, 19 January 2021 (UTC)
Hey, date of death is only for quest deaths and deaths that had already happened or happen no matter player choice. Since House has to be killed in some quest lines, this is why he's getting a date of death. Devastating DaveZIP ZAP RAP 17:37, 22 January 2021 (UTC)
- Hey Dave, I think we should discuss this first instead of making the call. Great Mara already noted he doesn't think it should be added. So lets talk it out more, come to a consensus. That way we can all be on board. --kdarrow take her for a spin! 22:07, 22 January 2021 (UTC)
Sorry to confuse! No, it was just a general message to both. We need to have a forum before a large change like this is made. Thanks for checking tho <3 --kdarrow take her for a spin! 23:28, 22 January 2021 (UTC)
Separate page[edit source]
To make a long debate short: This is intended to be a separate page so that triggering material can be contained to a single page the very title of which gives advance warning. Hope this explains everything! Tägäżïël 18:42, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
WW Enclave Excerpts[edit source]
The excerpts from WW on Enclave's stealthy operations post-Broken Steel. Most come from the roleplaying book, but the last one is from the The Vestiges Resurgent Enclave questline supplement that was released a few weeks back.
- The Enclave once again found resistance from the Brotherhood of Steel, which again fought to protect the world from the Enclave's designs, and shattered them in the process. The Enclave's East Coast contingent splintered even further and disappeared back into the shadows. -"History of the Enclave", pg.16
- They actually exist to keep an eye on the population and quietly remove anyone who the Enclave considers "non-compliant. -"Organization Structure: Peacekeeping and Recovery", pg.16
- The Enclave no longer has the numbers or power it once had, and its old tactics no longer work. The Brotherhood of Steel has matched them in technology and the New California Republic has them beaten for numbers. The Enclave now relies on small, heavily armed squads, with the best possible weapons and equipment, instead of dispatching a large contingent of troops. These small groups, like Sigma Squad, can be mustered and sent in to perform tasks quietly. These new tactics make the Enclave much more dangerous because it is difficult to ascertain where they might be operating. An air fleet of Vertibirds is highly visible, but a squad of black-ops veterans can easily approach undetected.
- Before the Great War, a shadow government within the United States set up numerous military bases throughout the country. Although many of these were looted or destroyed, some still exist, and make convenient shelters from the harsh environment. One such outpost was so well stocked that its current residents have enjoyed a prosperous and relatively easy life, until recently. In the last week, their communications with other settlements ceased and their scouts have not come back from routine patrols. The base's original owners have returned. -"From the Past: Story",pg. 2
If ya want to read the full Enclave questline, Modiphius released the three episodes as separate free downloads on their website. Though it's quite short on lore. Like, the Enclave bunker that serves as the major point of interest throughout the quests is never even given a name.Saxhleel12 (talk) 18:37, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
Confrontations in Discussions[edit source]
Just stopping by to talk about the cheese post and what went down there. I am 110% behind anyone wanting to help explain certain practices or refer a user to resources like the guidelines as needed, but please take a little time in when writing your post to come off as less authoritative. You are a mod, but you are not a discussions mod. That's not me trying to run you off or anything, but it is a little disingenuous to bring that up in conversation. If it's just being a little short with people, from time to time, I can certainly understand, but if you can take the extra two to three seconds to just come across as a user trying to help them rather than being a moderator who is going to do enforcement if they fail to comply. You can always shoot a talk page message out, like you had done with the guns post or you can hit the report button, and we'll get to it. The Dyre Wolf (talk) 21:23, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
- Moderating, no, but helping point someone in the right direction is absolutely fine. The most significant difference being whether the comment comes across as "Do this (or else, being implied or outright stated)" or "Hey, be sure to do this/just letting you know (coming across as friendly voice trying to help)." There's two or three regulars who I would not be surprised to see interacting with new or infrequent users and explaining a rule exists, and there's nothing wrong with just bringing it up. Plenty of wikis have different rules, many of them being far less organized than ours, so not everyone comes in with a uniform understanding. But across the platform, folks know to recognize the little badge things as mods and admin, so when it looks like commands are being given, that usually leads to resistance rather than just politely following along. If you've tried to help them, it obviously did not stick or they wanted, and a mod hasn't gotten there, you can always report the post. We'll get to it, and if the user wants to be argumentative or so forth, we can deal with them as needed. The Dyre Wolf (talk) 01:29, 2 February 2021 (UTC)
Holorifle has a scope, but the main point was to show that the Gas Bomb has a unique range capability here due to the height layout.
I've been editing this site since before you came on board. Quest specific strategy (as oppose to general ones) have always been allowed. Technically a walk-through IS a strategy guide in of itself - strategy on completing the quest. Stop being so literal and personally 'goal-keeping' the articles. This kind of subjective reverting good-faith articles is why so many editors have left. Mad Dog Fargo (talk)
"You having 'been around' before me doesn't change the fact that your edit was not allowed"
Again, it's a strategy guide. There are obviously going to be relevant walk-through strategy here and there - it's all over the site. If you don't understand 'no strategy' means no general/obvious strategy, then maybe look up past precedents on edits before going to war with everyone. And who made you sole subjective decider on what's allowed? Fandom is a collaborative project.
"dunno or care if things were different back when you were around but that's how it is now, don't try and give me grief for doing my job."
A competent moderator would take into consideration whether the edits (that's been on the page for years before you came along) contribute to the site and not make decision based on personal preference and bias. Hint: You've been told this before - but assume good faith. Don't assume you know and decide everything. Discuss and edit - don't snap revert - material you disagree with. You're a moderator, not a dictator.
How old are you? I see you already have a questionable background of being argumentative and over-zealousness in deletion/editing. Astonishing that with your attitude and temperament you got the job.
- Ah, the old strawman. I'm not disputing the sniping part - I didn't add that originally but it was already on the page since 2015 - "Note that you can shoot the ghost people with an automatic rifle or holorifle," before you nuked it in 2020. I restored it to add to the fight 'strategy' that YOU opened that section with ("The player character must fight (or run) back the way they came,")
- Again, maybe address why that whole fight/run 'strategy' section is acceptable, but strategy of fighting ghost people is not? Is there an enforced rule (that mod follows) or not?
- Sorry you feel pointing out one-sided moderating is 'insulting', but maybe try not to act that way in moderating? You're supposed to be a referee, not a subjective judge. If something has been there for years, that usually mean users are fine with it. Mad Dog Fargo (talk) 18:51, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
I'm watching him, think he's about done by now. Jspoel 21:33, 4 February 2021 (UTC)
- Problem is he's not vandalizing, intentions are good I think. I may block him for some time to get his attention. This is causing too much fuss controlling his edits. Jspoel 15:31, 20 February 2021 (UTC)