Welcome to the Nukapedia News Digest. We'd drink to our youth but our drink has all gone - the age of hydration is just about done.
In your digest this week.
Around the Wiki
- 69.l25 has been granted patroller rights. Congratulations and keep up the good work!
- We're nailing down the administrator conduct policy, including how to deal with situations where the tools administrators and other special users get are misused, and how "reconfirmations" should be handled. Vote closes 17 July.
- I'm talking about our sister wikis In this forum, including what sort of cross promotion we can do.
Attention Nukapedia Shoppers
- Steam Sales latest
- Skyrim (vanilla) is 30% off
- Skyrim DLCs are 50% off
- Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas are 40% off
- Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics are 50% off.
- Dishonored is 40% off
Rockville, MD Dallas, Texas
QuakeCon is Coming
Bethesda, and id Software are ramping up the promotion for QuakeCon 2013. The worlds most famous LAN party also includes a Keynote from id's famed technical director and co founder John Carmack, and exhibitor space with stalls from Alienware, Nvidia, and more.
You'll also be a able to see The Elder Scrolls: Online, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and The Evil Within. TES:O, Wolfenstein and a new DLC for Dishonored will all be PLAYABLE at the show.
Entry is FREE, although reserved seating for the bring-your-own-computer LAN event is showing as "Sold out" (however a "Large portion" of seats are reserved for people on the day, so you can take your chances).
To wet your appetite, he's some stills from The Evil Within.
Examiner.com misleads its readers again
We are disappointed to be forced to report that this story, just like last time, is false, and is again the result of a failure of basic fact checking by the Examiner.
This is from our Fallout 4 FAQ.
- For years the Bethesda Forums have maintained an "Official" suggestion thread for fan ideas. The purpose of this thread is not to solicit fan ideas, but organise those that are coming in anyway.
- As per Bethesda Forum policy, all threads are closed at 200 posts. Being a popular topic, a similar topic is posted again almost immediately after the previous ones closure, by a forum moderator.
- All forum moderators are volunteer members of the forum community, and are not Bethesda/Zenimax staff. They do not speak for any Bethesda/Zenimax group company in any capacity. (The exceptions are those identified as community managers, such as Gstaff and Nick Breckton).
- Sadly, this story has been alleged by an online news site a number of times who are clearly unaware of how the Bethesda forums work.
Ron, Ron Never changes
Looking for a movie to see this weekend? If you're out watching Pacific Rim, be on the lookout (sound-out?) for a Fallout veteran - Ron Perelman as "Hannibal Chau" - I haven't seen it so I don't know if the choice of name is significant in any way.. We've stuck his picture on the right for those of you who don't know what he looks like.
Fanzone - Nuka Break: Red Star
Obsidian hits Backspace
- Some interesting, and perhaps depressing news reported by Kotaku - a shelved game idea by the gang at Obidisan
- Imagine, if you will, a massive role-playing game featuring guns, time travel, and a nasty alien invasion, all built on Skyrim's engine, with Skyrim's "Radiant AI" system.
- That's Backspace, a project that was once under development at the studio Obsidian, I've learned from sources. A small team was designing and prototyping the game in early 2011, and although progress never got very far, concept art and design documents reveal an ambitious project that could interest a lot of people, if it's ever made.
It looks as though Skyrim is to a large extent setting the standard as to how future RPGs are likely to be developed
However, Backspace is no "Skyrim copy with a time machine", Backspace offered a new take on stealth
- Unlike Skyrim/FNV, stealth in Back Space is 100% active and undetectable (unless something disrupts it). The player is completely cloaked a la Stealth Boy when they enter stealth. Doing this will slowly consume energy, but the player is completely invisible until they deactivate their cloak. This means they can engage/avoid some enemies while still being completely invisible.
- Personal Cloak
- Cloak is an active ability that the player must toggle. While active, the ability slowly consumes the player’s energy. The player can use other abilities while cloaked and will remain invisible as long as they still have energy. Some enemies can detect the player’s cloak if they have infrared detection.
- Cloak Emitter
- An alternative to using a personal cloak is deploying a Cloak Emitter. Cloak Emitters can be constructed and consume no energy from the player. If the player is within the Cloak Emitter’s radius, the player is completely invisible. The emitter itself is not invisible and is vulnerable to enemy attacks. The player can retrieve the emitter after it’s been deployed to use it again if it has not been destroyed by enemies.
Companions it seem would be fairly dynamic...
Sadly, backspace is unlikely to see the light of day, and instead become another Van Buren, but never say never….
Relic of the war that wasn't - LIVE
We're looking at arranging a couple of live Nukapedia Trips to real life relics.
- One Weekend this summer - The York Cold War bunker - York, Yorkshire, UK (dates to be confirmed).
- One day between 6 and 10 January 2014 - Greenbriar Resort Bunker - the would be home to the Congress in the event of war.
If you're interested in seeing either, please email us at the address in the top right corner so we can look at getting group rates.
Updating and refreshing the News Digest
We'll be updating and refreshing the look of the news digest over the next few weeks. Please let us know any feedback and suggestions you have.