|Unsafe Working Conditions|
|Go to Midea's Quarters|
|Gather 10 steel ingots from the steelyard and bring them to Everett|
|Return to Midea|
|Listen to Lord Ashur's speech|
|Fight in the Hole|
|Reward: 150 XP, Auto Axpert Perk, Pitt Fighter Perk, Infiltrator|
|Leads to: Free Labor|
A Warm Welcome
Once inside, Midea will inform the player character of her goal: to steal The Cure from Ashur. The conversation is then interrupted by Jackson, a Pitt raider, who interrogates Midea as to what they were talking about. She stammers out a lie about the Lone Wanderer being the new "volunteer." Jackson buys it and leaves the player character and her alone. She instructs the Lone Wanderer to go and gather steel ingots from the steelyard, because slaves that do not work are not tolerated. If the player character inquires about weapons, she will point to Marco in The Mill.
The entrance to the steelyard is through a small buffer zone called the abandoned area. The steelyard is an extremely large area, and is inhabited by feral mutated humans - nicknamed 'trogs' by the citizens of The Pitt. A door in The Mill leads to the abandoned area. In turn, the door to The Mill is in the corner of Downtown where Adan is welding.
As all weapons (minus the possible Concealed .32 pistol or Switchblade) have been confiscated at this point, it is advisable to acquire an auto axe from Marco in The Mill before proceeding, as the steelyard is filled with trogs. unarmored player character. Asking Kai - who lives across the square from Midea - for some Slop is ideal as well.
Everett oversees all work in the steelyard and congratulates the player character on their misfortune of being chosen to do such a dangerous task. He will walk the them through the abandoned area, and point out a trog scampering on a catwalk above. Everett will stop at the door and tell the player character to proceed inside.
The steelyard is easily one of the largest areas in Fallout 3. It is an urban jungle of rusted steel catwalks, mammoth pipelines, and derelict buildings, as well as a relatively intact supply plant to the east. The first two ingots can be found directly in front of the player after entering the steelyard, along with an assault rifle and some ammunition. Further ahead, the player character will stumble upon a slave trying to reason with his brother, Billy, now a trog. The trog will eventually attack the horrified slave if one does not intervene. Killing 'Billy' will cause the slave to mourn the death of his brother.
After the player character leaves the steelyard for the first time, they are presented with a trog that has ripped through the fence in the abandoned area and now stands between the player character and the door to The Mill. Fortunately, the hole it ripped in the fence opens up a new area with 3 steel ingots to scavenge.
Upon giving the steel ingots to Everett, he will reward the player character with the laborer outfit. Depending on how many ingots the player character managed to retrieve, they may receive addition rewards from Everett.
The player character will also receive the Auto Axpert perk upon collecting the 10th Ingot, which boosts the player character's damage with the related weapon and its variants. At this point the Lone Wanderer must return to Midea.
Midea tells the player character to prepare for a fight in The Hole, which she explains is one of the only ways a slave can earn their freedom, killing fellow fighters in order to be promoted to the ranks of The Pitt raiders. Outside, Ashur will address his workers from a balcony above the square in front of Midea's house, talking about The Hole and asking for volunteers to fight for their freedom. Midea speaks for the player character, volunteering them, and Ashur accepts. Signing up for the battles in The Hole is quite simple. Faydra is in charge of the fights and is located in a room in The Mill, at the bottom of a flight of stairs. The entrance to the stairs is tagged with a sign that reads, 'Arena'. Faydra will inform the player character of the rules and the like. There is a locker in the room that contains common weak weaponry, usually a low-caliber pistol and a few makeshift melee weapons. If the player intends to complete the unmarked quest Mill Worker, doing so before fighting in the Hole will earn good equipment and which makes the fights much easier. There are three fights to endure, ranging from one to three opponents each time. When the player character finishes the third fight against Gruber, he drops the Infiltrator, an assault rifle with a scope and suppressor.
Once the player character has cleared The Hole, they are considered 'free' and may have an audience with Ashur in Haven. The player character also receives all the gear that was taken from them at the end of Into The Pitt in a footlocker just outside of the fighting area. The player character will also receive the Pitt Fighter perk, which boosts Damage Resistance and Radiation Resistance by 3% each. This ends this quest and begins the next quest, Free Labor.
- Soon after the Lone Wanderer agrees to fight in the Hole, Pitt slaves can be overheard plotting and scheming to revolt. One group in Downtown, near the Mill, has a scout that will whistle a warning if anyone, including the player character, is noticed too close to their meeting.
- If the Lone Wanderer attacks a slave upon entering The Pitt Downtown, no one else will get angry at that time. Once the player character enters the Mill, there will be about 15 slaves that will attack. This is because most of the slaves downtown can be seen with weapons like auto axes, but it will not appear in their inventory when they are dead, because they only use them when they are "working." Unlike the slaves in the Mill, who mostly have one in their inventory to fight with.
During Ashur's address in the square the speech can glitch causing him to stop half way, making it impossible to compete in The Hole or to progress the storyline. [verified]
- Solution: The only way to continue is to load an older save from before the speech and attend it again.
- Solution 2: type "setstage xx00108b 120" in the console, where the "xx" is your load order for The Pitt (as it is in FOMM or the launcher). This will go to the next objective, skipping Ashur's speech. NOTE: there will be an invisible wall that you cannot pass, you will have to turn clipping off (type "tcl" in console).
- If the footlocker outside the fighting area is closed before all of the items have been retrieved, then these items will disappear for good once the quest is completed. [verified]
- When talking to Faydra OUTSIDE of the gate that leads to the hole, she will run inside and lock it, making it impossible to do the quest, the only solution is to reload a previous save. [verified]
- After completing your time in The Hole, Faydra may only respond to attempts at conversation by opening her mouth and emitting no sound. [verified]
- Sometimes when returning to Everett for turning in the first ten Ingots, bringing him more than ten, then traveling back downtown to Midea will cause the game to crash and the save file to become corrupted. [verified]
- It is possible to kill Jackson before talking to Midea in her room. When he is supposed to interrupt his corpse will instead fly into the room. Midea does not try to speak to the body, and you can continue as normal. [verified]
- When retrieving your gear from the footlocker after completing the quest, selecting "Take All" may not put all of your gear/caps/etc into your inventory if there's no room. You may need to move items over singly until the footlocker is empty. [verified]