|Main quest: Unlikely Valentine|
|Travel to Park Street station.|
|Enter Vault 114 and find Nick Valentine.|
|Release Nick and follow him to the entrance of the vault.|
|Confront Skinny Malone.|
|Leave the station and talk with Nick.|
|Reward: 200+ XP|
Faded trench coat
|Leads to: Getting a Clue|
Ellie Perkins reveals that Nick Valentine is being held captive in Park Street station. The vault is guarded by Triggermen armed with submachine guns, 10mm pistols and, at higher levels, .44 pistols. Inside the station is the entrance to Vault 114.
The Sole Survivor must fight their way through the vault until they come to a large open atrium. Guarding the overseer's office, where Nick is being held, is a Triggerman named Dino. Sneaking close allows the Sole Survivor to listen to their conversation, where Valentine convinces Dino that a crime boss is upset at him about his cheating habit during gambling. Dino then runs out of the room to square things off with said crime boss, leaving the coast clear to free Valentine. Alternatively, Dino may be killed without waiting for him to leave, dropping the key to the overseer's office. The control panel next to the office door can then be used to free Valentine.
Speaking with Nick reveals why he is there and that they should leave as soon as possible. On the desk behind him is the Speech bobblehead. After talking with Nick, he will take the lead out of the vault where Skinny Malone and Darla will be waiting to stop the escape. With a few speech checks, it is possible to turn them against each other or leave the vault without fighting at all. If a certain stage of the unmarked quest, The Sight has been completed before coming to the vault, there will be an additional speech option to solve the situation without violence. If any of these speech checks succeed in obtaining a non-violent solution, Darla will depart and Skinny Malone will advise that they have 10 seconds to leave. Otherwise, the Sole Survivor and Nick will need to kill Skinny Malone and his bodyguards in order to leave.
After exiting the vault there is a short conversation with Nick where he directs the Sole Survivor to meet him back at his office in Diamond City. Upon arrival, speaking with Ellie will end the quest.
- This quest does not require the completion of any previous mainline quests (excluding the prologue and Out of Time) to be accessed. Depending on whether or not Jewel of the Commonwealth has been completed, this quest is either the third or the fourth main quest in Fallout 4 and can be started by simply going to Park Street station, entering it, and starting to fight through the Triggermen.
- Even if the player hides from or otherwise avoided Dino so he leaves the room alive, Nick will still say it will not be long till the others realize "muscle for brains" (Dino) is not returning. Furthermore, he will simply wait in a side room off the hallway, where he will likely detect the player character and turn hostile.
- Even if the player is not detected and does not kill any of the Triggermen in the dining area where Nick asks how the player wants to "play this," he will still comment on the "loud and hard" methods upon leaving the area.
- While escorting Nick, Astoundingly Awesome Tales issue #8 can be found on a pile of boxes blockading a hallway, before going through a bedroom.
- If the player e
ends the conflict with Skinny Malone peacefully, attacking him, Darla or the remaining Triggermen, while they are not hostile, does not count as murder in the Pip-Boy's crime statistics.
- Frequently, after convincing Skinny Malone of letting the player go peacefully, a companion will just walk instead of run to the exit. They end up still near the thugs when the countdown ends and get involved in a firefight. Unless one is playing in Survival and doesn't want to spoil their previous diplomatic success, it is best to simply leave, as the companion will teleport to their side.
- If the Sole Survivor frees Nick without meeting Ellie Perkins first, the quest Jewel of the Commonwealth will be auto-completed (or skipped entirely if one didn't pick up the specific quest from Mama Murphy or meeting Piper) and they will gain a unique speech option.
- This is the farthest point in the main quest that one can skip around to after exiting Vault 111 without console commands or mods.
- Upon completing this quest, all items in the Valentine Detective Agency can be freely taken.
- When confronted by Skinny Malone and Darla, the accompanying Triggermen will become hostile if a targeting helmet is worn. Removing it will suffice. The highlight ability from Berry Mentats seems to make them hostile as well.[verified]
- Nick will turn hostile and shoot Skinny Malone and Darla but will not shoot the Triggermen.[verified]