The United Nations was an organization created in order to settle international disputes. It comprised of many of the world's countries prior to 2052.
Background[edit | edit source]
In May 2052, the United Nations began to collapse, due to the start of the Resource Wars following the European Commonwealth's military intervention in the Middle East. The oil-rich states of the Middle East had raised crude oil prices to near confiscatory levels in light of the growing global petroleum shortage.[Non-game 1]
Facing an economic disaster because of European nations' heavy reliance on imported Middle Eastern oil, the European Commonwealth had invaded the Middle East to force its states to lower oil prices or to seize their remaining reserves of petroleum. The United Nations actively tried to restore the peace with nothing to show for their efforts. As natural resource pressures grew and the United Nations' impotence to maintain a stable international order became clear, many member nations withdrew from the organization, prepared to use military force to defend what was theirs or seize what was somebody else's.
The United Nations General Assembly finally disbanded the organization on July 27, 2052, after the majority of its member-states had withdrawn from it. Its last Secretary-General was a Japanese diplomat, Sakugama Okiri. Its former headquarters in New York City was then sold to the major toy retailer Bumbalo's to be transformed into a superstore.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- For more information on the organization's real-world counterpart, see United Nations on Wikipedia or the Official website for the United Nations.
|The following is based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
|End of information based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout Bible 0: "2052 May-July The United Nations, already suffering, begins to collapse. In a series of heated debates, many nations withdraw from the organization as the UN tries to keep the peace. At the end of July, the United Nations is disbanded."
- Capitol Post terminal entries; Capital Post Top Stories -- July 27, 2052, United Nations Disbanded!
- Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel Manual p.5: "In 2025, as the planet’s resources dried up, the United Nations fell apart, causing many smaller nations to fall with them as financial havoc swept across the globe. The handful of peace agreements between Europe and the Middle East were cast aside as they fell into a long, drawn-out war over the few remaining productive oil fields."
Non-game sources[edit | edit source]
- Fallout Bible 0: "2052 April: The Resource Wars begin. Many smaller nations go bankrupt, and Europe, dependent on oil imports from the Middle East, responds to the Middle East's rising oil prices with military action. The long drawn-out war between the European Commonwealth and the Middle East begins."}}