The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Ultracite is a unique, radioactive glass-like material discovered by Atomic Mining Services beneath the soil of Appalachia. Although its origins mystified AMS scientists, its properties did not: Ultracite was an incredibly potent source of energy, to the point of near inexhaustibility. Although its potency could slag reactors and cause meltdowns, when properly handled it could supply enough power to keep industrial-grade machinery working for decades. AMS fully believed it to be the future fuel source for the entire United States - and with them in control of the supply, their hegemony on the market. At first, AMS started locally, powering Watoga and leasing their technology to the two major corporations on the mining market in Appalachia: Hornwright Industrial and Garrahan Mining Co., as well as the energy conglomerate Poseidon Energy. The contracts came with strings attached: To power the Excavator power armor, Garrahan had to make a decade-long commitment to AMS technology.
While they secured a dominant position on the market, AMS also worked to remove the obstacles to widespread adoption of ultracite nationwide: Depleted ultracite played havoc with the regular material, resulting in a corrosive reaction melting both materials, necessitating extreme care in separating and containing the two materials. However, that complication was only second to the biggest one: AMS did not understand the creation process for ultracite. This led to situations where shafts marked as failure could suddenly develop veins of ultracite, as was the case with mine shaft no. 9 near the town of Welch. The ultracite vein rapidly developed, emerging not just in the shaft, but inside the town. In order to maintain their monopoly, AMS quickly secured property rights within twelve hours and moved in to force everyone in the town off of their property. Unsurprisingly, the move radicalized the already angry miners.
Eventually, it was determined that ultracite was the result of ore responding to extreme environmental factors. To replicate them, AMS decided to perform underground nuclear tests in order to create artificial ultracite. The "radioactive glass", as contractors came to call it, could be reliably obtained that way and made the expense entirely worthwhile.
Ultracite and depleted ultracite cannot withstand contact with each other; instead, contact results in both samples explosively melting down. Files in the Atomic Mining Services building reveal that the AMS discovered this fact, and also that the Responders discovered this information and, having proven that the Scorched Plague causes the formation of ultracite within living tissue, weaponized it. This is why ultracite weaponry is extra effective against Scorched enemies.
Miscellaneous object (see below)
Ultracite scrap (varies)
|High Int Rock||0||2||0.1||20|
|Medium Int Rock||?||?||?||?|
|Scorchbeast wing fragment||46||2||2||1|
Converted from the above listed junk items.
- Ultracite appears to have similar characteristics to coal, as Poseidon Energy Plant WV-06, formerly a coal-burning power plant, was easily retrofitted to burn ultracite fuel. This is also shown through the weekly challenge "Collect Toys and Coal," where one may collect ultracite instead of coal. Furthermore, the name ultracite resembles anthracite, the highest grade of coal. "Ultracite" may thus suggest a material with properties similar to coal, but greater than even those of anthracite.
- Discovery of a vein of ultracite underneath the city of Welch was why Atomic Mining Services forcibly evicted the population, in order to secure access to the precious mineral.
- ↑ Glassed cavern terminal entries; Scientist's terminal, Ultracite Demonstration
- ↑ Garrahan Mining Headquarters terminal entries; Project manager's terminal, GMC12242076-HF
- ↑ AMS corporate headquarters terminal entries; CEO Kilson's terminal, Ultracite R&D Report
- ↑ The Rusty Pick terminal entries; Mick Flanagan's terminal, Entry 06
- ↑ Bad news
- ↑ Poseidon Energy Plant WV-06 terminal entries#Ultracite_Retrofit