The Ozymandias was a small research ship, which, in 2077, was being operated by Bysshe Energy Partners, a subsidiary of the Bysshe Company. The vessel was sent to the Point Lookout region to survey natural gas deposits. It was scuttled by Dr. Martin J. Roach, a Bysshe employee posing as an intern.
Bysshe was using the Ozymandias to scout the Point Lookout area for viable signs of bio-gas, a potent energy source. The lead geologist, Caroline Saunders, was considered by Bysshe to be dangerous, as she was a "known liberal with academic ties."
The bio-gas was, in reality, formed from methane emissions from decayed corpses. If Saunders ever figured this out, it would ruin Bysshe's chances at profit. They had her under watch, with Dr. Roach reporting back. Eventually, she contacted her academic ties, and Roach was forced to enact Code Blue, running the Ozymandias aground. The ship's wreckage can be seen just off the coast.
The USS Ozymandias lies off the coast of Point Lookout on a small island. There are items in the pilothouse, and a hatch leading below the deck. Off the side of the deck towards the open water, there is a submerged container with several metal containers around it. The interior is partially filled with water and is tilted from the inside.
There is a locked safe that may only be opened after completing the quest An Antique Land. The items are listed here.
- Ozymandias was operating as a private research ship but used the "USS" prefix which is reserved for U.S. Navy vessels.
- As the areas around the cots are irradiated, it is not possible to sleep on them.
Behind the scenes
- The name is a reference to the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley, to whom the Bysshe Company similarly references.
- The terminal in the USS Ozymandias mentions the Isla Negra Real Estate company. "Isla Negra" is Spanish for "Black Isle," a reference to the developer of the original Fallout games, Black Isle Studios.
- USS Ozymandias terminal entries; Bysshe Co. terminal, Mission Parameters
- USS Ozymandias terminal entries; Bysshe Co. terminal, <!> Confidential <!>
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.686: "Before the bombs, The Bysshe Energy Company had acquired the rights to probe Point Lookout for usable natural gas resources. Caroline Saunders was the principal Geological Chemist on the survey mission. Though she never got the chance to upload her findings, you can discover her Holotape notes at each of three survey sites scattered across Point Lookout"